Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Bottle Microwave Heating
Checkinkids.com 08:25 PM 11-05-2014
Is it bad to use a microwave? We have an 11 month old and we heat the water in the microwave, check the temp, then mix in the formula. Some people (the babysitter) have really balked at that. Why is it so bad..or is it? We check the temp of the water of course.
Angelsj 07:34 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by Checkinkids.com:
Is it bad to use a microwave? We have an 11 month old and we heat the water in the microwave, check the temp, then mix in the formula. Some people (the babysitter) have really balked at that. Why is it so bad..or is it? We check the temp of the water of course.
I do this. As long as you mix it well and check the temp after you add formula it is fine. Microwaving breast milk is not appropriate. It is not a good idea to microwave premixed formula. Both of these are based in the concept that essential nutrients can be lost.
Mixing well ensures there are no "hot spot" areas in the bottle. I also do not microwave pureed foods or anything else I feed to anyone under...well.. 50.
I basically use my microwave to rewarm tea and coffee and heat water for formula bottles.
MarinaVanessa 09:00 AM 11-06-2014
I don't microwave breast milk because it diminishes the nutrients and I don't microwave ANYTHING in plastic because recent studies have shown that plastic (even BPA-free) can bleed into the food/liquid.

But I do warm up water (almond milk for my own son) in glass and then pour it in the bottle/cup and shake to make sure the heat is evenly distributed. I don't see the problem with using a microwave.

The last time someone gave me a hard time for using the microwave for my son's milk I asked them if they ever ate at McDonald's. They said yes and I asked them how come they were okay with putting fake, processed garbage into their bodies but they weren't okay with using a microwave to heat up liquid. I said "I have never burned [my son] by using the microwave but you, for sure, are putting chemicals into your body". That was the last time I heard about this topic.
Reply Up