Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Emotional baby...
daycarediva 02:10 PM 01-31-2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPC0slnNTjo

Is SO PRECIOUS!

But it made me think about emotional intelligence. I have a dcg struggling at drop off since Christmas break, her parents separated right before the New Year. Lots going on in her little 3 year old life. Her Mom says things like "Be a big girl." "You're not sad." "You love school!" "No crying!" "Big girls don't cry." "Don't be a baby."

I have started to interject and reaffirm how dcg is feeling. "You look sad. It's ok to feel sad. You're going to miss your Mommy!" and get her talking about it. Works EVERY time.

Almost all of my daycare parents equate smiling kids=happy kids=good parenting. Many of my crew are monetarily spoiled but emotionally neglected.

I am thinking about adding a specific topic each newsletter about what we are working on with Social/emotional development, self help skills, etc. Anyone do this? Of course we are always working on everything, but to make parents think. 5/7 of my parents read my newsletter and take my advice on things.
BumbleBee 04:39 PM 01-31-2015
YES! I read a lot of Janet Lansbury http://www.janetlansbury.com/

While I don't agree with all of her practices, I agree with quite a bit. I find the same thing as you do, monetarily spoiled and emotionally neglected. There is such a push for academics that kids are socially and emotionally stunted-IMO.

I do more about emotional/social development and intelligence than I do academic in my newsletters.

Some parents get it, some parents don't. But it can't hurt to try!

A small story to finish this off, dcg-21 months has been here since she was 3.5 months old. She's here 35-45 hours a week. I've used a lot of Janet Lansbury practices since I started my home daycare. Last week 3 yo dcg was dropped off and was quite upset. 21 month old dcg went to the bookcase, found the 3 yo dcg's favorite book, and brought it to her-then sat next to her and patted her back. I didn't prompt this interaction or encourage 21 month old dcg to go get the book and bring it to 3 yo dcg. In fact I was talking to 3 yo dcg about feeling sad when 21 month old dcg showed up with the book.
nannyde 05:04 PM 01-31-2015
It's not emotion. It's vibration.
Josiegirl 04:10 AM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
YES! I read a lot of Janet Lansbury http://www.janetlansbury.com/

While I don't agree with all of her practices, I agree with quite a bit. I find the same thing as you do, monetarily spoiled and emotionally neglected. There is such a push for academics that kids are socially and emotionally stunted-IMO.

I do more about emotional/social development and intelligence than I do academic in my newsletters.

Some parents get it, some parents don't. But it can't hurt to try!

A small story to finish this off, dcg-21 months has been here since she was 3.5 months old. She's here 35-45 hours a week. I've used a lot of Janet Lansbury practices since I started my home daycare. Last week 3 yo dcg was dropped off and was quite upset. 21 month old dcg went to the bookcase, found the 3 yo dcg's favorite book, and brought it to her-then sat next to her and patted her back. I didn't prompt this interaction or encourage 21 month old dcg to go get the book and bring it to 3 yo dcg. In fact I was talking to 3 yo dcg about feeling sad when 21 month old dcg showed up with the book.
Oh that's so cute!! I have an almost 2 yo that will do that with her lil buddy who's 18 months. She always goes and get her favorite baby doll for her. I love it!!

I think including those topics in your newsletter is a great idea, maybe it'll nudge them in a different direction. Maybe dcm thinks dcg will snap out of it quicker so she can just leave, if she tells her not to cry. I don't know why tears make parents so uncomfortable. We become conditioned to not let kids cry. Even other kids. If a child here doesn't get their way and starts crying or throwing a fit, I'll ignore it. And it always happens that another child will speak up and say Miss Josie, so-n-so is crying!! Ok...yes she is. But she's fine.
Note: big difference between sad crying and not getting their way crying. They're dealt with much differently.

You can tell my mind is wandering today. Janet Lansbury and I'm thinking wait, isn't she the mystery writer or something?
And now, I'm singing Good Good Good, Good Vibrations....
Reply Up