Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No I can't and won't......
daycare 02:30 PM 02-04-2015
I will NOT administer meds of any kind unless they are for life saving purposes and in that case I better have a doc note, treatment plan and etc. If you child is on meds you are welcome to come and admin here as long as you have a doc note to back it up. NO way can you come give your 2 year old Nyquil, sorry I won't let you do the wrong thing here.

Lately I keep having parents challenge me walking in the door with a home made homeopathic remedy or that they conjured up and want me to give it to their child. I tell them NO I can't do that. I tell them if you want to give it at home, fine, but I can't give them anything other than the food I am approved to serve. I tell them that while I trust wholeheartedly that they would never ask me to give their child something unsafe, I can't assume the liability. I tell them if I give this to your child, and anything happens It's my behind.
Again it seems like my highly educated parents just don't Get it.

I already assume a lot of liability as it is....

I feel like every day if its not one things its another and its not from the kids. I am really honestly feeling burn out from these parents.
Daycare Insurance 04:58 PM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I will NOT administer meds of any kind unless they are for life saving purposes and in that case I better have a doc note, treatment plan and etc. If you child is on meds you are welcome to come and admin here as long as you have a doc note to back it up. NO way can you come give your 2 year old Nyquil, sorry I won't let you do the wrong thing here.

Lately I keep having parents challenge me walking in the door with a home made homeopathic remedy or that they conjured up and want me to give it to their child. I tell them NO I can't do that. I tell them if you want to give it at home, fine, but I can't give them anything other than the food I am approved to serve. I tell them that while I trust wholeheartedly that they would never ask me to give their child something unsafe, I can't assume the liability. I tell them if I give this to your child, and anything happens It's my behind.
Again it seems like my highly educated parents just don't Get it.

I already assume a lot of liability as it is....

I feel like every day if its not one things its another and its not from the kids. I am really honestly feeling burn out from these parents.
I have to say that I totally agree with this line of thinking. You are taking the right steps not only to limit your liability and you are sending the right message to the parents as well. Good insurance policies will cover you for distribution of medicine but you brought up an interesting point about home remedies. Ill have to check and see if an insurance policy that covers you for distribution of medicine would extend to those remedies, I have to imagine that it WILL NOT.

Many providers are apprehensive about turning down a parents request, especially when its something they've "given them for years" but if something were to happen as the result, even though the parent said it was okay, you are still liable. I've said it before and ill say it again, its your duty as a provider to stay within your comfort level when it comes to parent requests. That's why its important to maintain a open line of communication with your parents so these issues are discussed and understood at all times.
Reply Up