Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bloody Nose
AuntTami 08:37 AM 02-05-2015
One of my little ones woke up this morning with dry, crusty blood in his nose. It's winter here so its really dry, so I didn't think anything of it. As the day has gone on, it's no longer dry, now it's slowly dripping from his nose.
I'm pretty well certain it's due to the dry air, but I've cleaned it out a couple times now, trying to get all the boogies and blood out. He's good for 10-15 minutes but then it starts running/dripping again. It's not dripping all over the floor or anything, but playing "peek a boo" with his nose.

Any suggestions on what to do for him? I need a nose sucker but don't have one so I can't just suck it out.
daycare 08:39 AM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
One of my little ones woke up this morning with dry, crusty blood in his nose. It's winter here so its really dry, so I didn't think anything of it. As the day has gone on, it's no longer dry, now it's slowly dripping from his nose.
I'm pretty well certain it's due to the dry air, but I've cleaned it out a couple times now, trying to get all the boogies and blood out. He's good for 10-15 minutes but then it starts running/dripping again. It's not dripping all over the floor or anything, but playing "peek a boo" with his nose.

Any suggestions on what to do for him? I need a nose sucker but don't have one so I can't just suck it out.
dont use a nose sucker if they have a bloody nose. apply pressure by lightly pinching the upper portion of his nose to help stop the bleed. If there is a lot of blood loss, I would ask the parent to come pick up

I have had some horrible experience with bloody nose and the dcks
AuntTami 08:45 AM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
dont use a nose sucker if they have a bloody nose. apply pressure by lightly pinching the upper portion of his nose to help stop the bleed. If there is a lot of blood loss, I would ask the parent to come pick up

I have had some horrible experience with bloody nose and the dcks
It's not bleeding like a bloody nose. If it was, I'd never think of using a syringe. It's hard to explain. The air is dry which makes the nose bleed and now that he's up moving its running and it's bloody boogies instead of normal ones..... Idk how to explain it lol
daycare 08:51 AM 02-05-2015
lol I hear ya.. I can't explain most things in writing. Good thing I never became a cop..lol

Can you maybe place a tissue twisted at the bottom and just keep a good eye on the kid.

I think I know what you mean, it's almost like a ghost nose bleed....
AuntTami 08:54 AM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol I hear ya.. I can't explain most things in writing. Good thing I never became a cop..lol

Can you maybe place a tissue twisted at the bottom and just keep a good eye on the kid.

I think I know what you mean, it's almost like a ghost nose bleed....
That's kinda what I've been doing. Trying to "scoop" it up with the wadded tissue. Once some of it sticks, I can usually pull some of it out and then he's good for 5-10 minutes.

Gosh this is so gross! People that don't work with children probably think we're just a bunch of nasty ladies!
laundrymom 10:25 AM 02-05-2015
How old? Could you give him warm cocoa? The steam/warmth may help from the inside out. Or have him smell hot tea/soup/broth. Or run the shower, let him color in the bathroom a bit?
AuntTami 10:27 AM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
How old? Could you give him warm cocoa? The steam/warmth may help from the inside out. Or have him smell hot tea/soup/broth. Or run the shower, let him color in the bathroom a bit?
He's 19 months. I highly doubt he would drink hot cocoa. He's my pickiest eater/drinker. He won't even drink milk. Mom still gives him squeeze pouch food at home.

It stopped for now but if it starts again after nap, the coloring in the bathroom is a great idea and I'll try that! Even if we just play blocks or something in there.
Reply Up