Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Disrespectful Parents
mac60 02:54 AM 01-19-2011
With all the snow, ice, slush and everything else the parents bring in on their shoes, I need to put a sign on my door that lets them know they need to stay on the area rug provided at the entrance. It is 5 x 8, and yet they can't seem to keep their damn wet shoes on it. Did I say disrespectful.

I want to put up a little sign with a ditty (saying) on it, letting them know they need to stay on the rug.

Seriously, what is wrong with people today.....We had ice yesterday, and a mom came in and said ......I almost fell on my ass in the driveway.....well, yes, school is cancelled due to ice, I DID salt my driveway very well, but everyday you choose to wear shoes that are not appropriate for the weather conditions here, and then you wonder why you slip. Use your head.

So, any cute sayings for keeping your shoes on the rug?
I have passed out papers asking them to ring the bell--And they don't.
I asked them to stay on the rug---And they don't. You would think they don't know how to read.
momofboys 03:01 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
With all the snow, ice, slush and everything else the parents bring in on their shoes, I need to put a sign on my door that lets them know they need to stay on the area rug provided at the entrance. It is 5 x 8, and yet they can't seem to keep their damn wet shoes on it. Did I say disrespectful.

I want to put up a little sign with a ditty (saying) on it, letting them know they need to stay on the rug.

Seriously, what is wrong with people today.....We had ice yesterday, and a mom came in and said ......I almost fell on my ass in the driveway.....well, yes, school is cancelled due to ice, I DID salt my driveway very well, but everyday you choose to wear shoes that are not appropriate for the weather conditions here, and then you wonder why you slip. Use your head.

I asked them to stay on the rug---And they don't. You would think they don't know how to read.
Sorry about that. It's too bad they don't show your home a little more respect. I'm not sure about the wording for a poem but I will brainstorm!
BentleysBands 03:02 AM 01-19-2011
Maybe that can't read LOL

Sorry your dealing with that! R u looking for something for your door that they will see right? Maybe u should use pictures lol
mac60 03:27 AM 01-19-2011
Yep, looking for something I can put on the front door that says something to the effect of "Keep your damn feet on the area rug please".
Unregistered 03:31 AM 01-19-2011
I got this years ago. It is a sheet of paper with the outline of boots. On the left boot it say - "Wet, Muddy, Snow Boots - leave marks upon the floor....It makes no difference if the size is 7, 11 or 4." On the right boot it says "Please NO BOOTS OR SHOES beyond this point. THANKS!" You could put beyond the foyer rug. This is an on-going job with me and I have to vacuum up the salt crystals 2X per day but I don't want anyone to fall. Yes, I do have one Mom who wears boots with that spiky tall heals and she has come close to falling. That's all whole other story!
Little People 03:34 AM 01-19-2011
Yep, looking for something I can put on the front door that says something to the effect of "Keep your damn feet on the area rug please".
Parents: When we have SNOW & ICE you will be ask to STAY on the area rug. This will keep MY CARPETS CLEANER. I would hate to raise rates to cover carpet cleaning. Please also remember, I have children during the day, and I try my best to keep sidewalks free of snow & ice, but that is not always possible. So to keep you safe, keep snow boots in your car to change out.

This is just something, I know someone will have something better
laundrymom 03:34 AM 01-19-2011
I have a note on the door saying please keep wet shoes on tile. If they step off it I say hey Jordan,... Remind dad to not step off the tile or he will make everyones socks wet. If they do it again I say STOP! Do not step on the carpet with your outside shoes!!!! And yes I yell and yes I surprise them but if they don't give me respect, I return the favor. If it happens again I say. Mr young, I would truly appreciate it if you would not walk on my carpet with your shoes. I do my best to keep the house clean and you seem to be deliberately breaking rules. Is this an issue for termination? At which point he stood there dumbfounded and quiet. He never stepped on my carpet again.

My Daycare 04:38 AM 01-19-2011
Before daycare when my son was little, I posted a sign for my friends.

"You have lead on your shoes. Lead is toxic. My baby touches the floor and eats his hands, and sometimes the floor. Therefore, your poisoning my child if you don't take off your shoes."

They got the hint, weather they believed it or not. I can't stand when people that say, "do I have to take off because my shoes aren't dirty."

Good Luck!
DCMomOf3 04:55 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I got this years ago. It is a sheet of paper with the outline of boots. On the left boot it say - "Wet, Muddy, Snow Boots - leave marks upon the floor....It makes no difference if the size is 7, 11 or 4." On the right boot it says "Please NO BOOTS OR SHOES beyond this point. THANKS!" You could put beyond the foyer rug. This is an on-going job with me and I have to vacuum up the salt crystals 2X per day but I don't want anyone to fall. Yes, I do have one Mom who wears boots with that spiky tall heals and she has come close to falling. That's all whole other story!
this is cute.
Cat Herder 05:03 AM 01-19-2011
This is cute....if you like George I guess you can make yours with any name you like.
Attached: il_570xN_125391732.jpg (37.4 KB) 
momma2girls 05:11 AM 01-19-2011
I have 3 rugs by my foyer area. I have all ceramic tile there. I have one when you first walk in. Then one to the right for boots, shoes of daycare children. Then I have a long one, the entire length of the foyer area, so they shouldn't need to step off of it for any reason! My parents are disrespecful as well at times!! It drives me insane as well!!!!!!!!!!!
momofsix 05:18 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I have a note on the door saying please keep wet shoes on tile. If they step off it I say hey Jordan,... Remind dad to not step off the tile or he will make everyones socks wet. If they do it again I say STOP! Do not step on the carpet with your outside shoes!!!! And yes I yell and yes I surprise them but if they don't give me respect, I return the favor. If it happens again I say. Mr young, I would truly appreciate it if you would not walk on my carpet with your shoes. I do my best to keep the house clean and you seem to be deliberately breaking rules. Is this an issue for termination? At which point he stood there dumbfounded and quiet. He never stepped on my carpet again.
Wow! I wish I had your backbone! There's no way I could do that...i would get all red in the face, start shaking and probably crying! And that be how I would be everytime I'd see hem for the next month! Good for you!!!
E Daycare 05:25 AM 01-19-2011
One of my dcp does dry wall and after 3 days in a row of him tracking mud and dry wall parts across my carpet (that I had use my little green machine to get out all the crud) I finally made a nice sign on my front door that says "Please wipe your feet before coming in" and have the out door rug at the steps and two in the foyer as soon as you walk in. I also updated my contract to say "please stay in the foyer when you come in and I will bring you your kid" and try to intercept before they even have time to walk any further then the door. Intercepting has also allowed any long chats to be stopped. 2 birds, one stone lol.

My house is only 3 yrs old and the carpet is already all kinds of ewww. This spring, Im having it cleaned.
Little People 05:28 AM 01-19-2011
Here are some cute signs

http://victorystore00.stores.yahoo.net/reshsi.html
marniewon 05:33 AM 01-19-2011
Bahahaha!!! I'm feeling a little ornery today, and this was what I was going to suggest!

How about locking the door, and letting each family in one by one. When you open the door, only back up far enough to let them in, but make sure you are "crowding" them to the point that they can't move off of the rug. Sounds really rude, but no more so than what they are doing to you by walking their nasty shoes/boots all over your clean floor!
laundrymom 05:33 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Wow! I wish I had your backbone! There's no way I could do that...i would get all red in the face, start shaking and probably crying! And that be how I would be everytime I'd see hem for the next month! Good for you!!!
Why should you feel bad for teaching him manners? How about a note that says. It is bad manners to walk through play spaces with shoes, stay in entry.
dEHmom 05:52 AM 01-19-2011
Please Remove your Shoes or help wash the floors

http://www.victorystore.com/signs/pr...move_shoes.htm

http://www.floppingfish.com/search.a...FR7yDAodTEffvA

The flopping fish one has more tasteful ones. Cute. You don't have to buy them, but can make your own.
dEHmom 05:57 AM 01-19-2011
http://www.homemadecountry.com/Plaqu...hoes_sign.html
melskids 05:59 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Bahahaha!!! I'm feeling a little ornery today, and this was what I was going to suggest!

How about locking the door, and letting each family in one by one. When you open the door, only back up far enough to let them in, but make sure you are "crowding" them to the point that they can't move off of the rug. Sounds really rude, but no more so than what they are doing to you by walking their nasty shoes/boots all over your clean floor!
this is actually what i do. i make sure the child is on the "going out" side of my body first and i stand right where the tile meets the carpet. i do it mostly to keep the kiddos from running wild, but also to keep shoes off the carpet too......
dEHmom 06:06 AM 01-19-2011
this is way too funny. you don't have to read far into it to get the idea. HAHAHAHAHA.

http://www.wekidyounot.org/wkyn/prin...d.php?tid=3005
missnikki 06:17 AM 01-19-2011
"Wet shoes not permitted beyond this point."

Put on a sign that is on a stand, like "Please wait to be seated" at a restaraunt.

I've noticed my parents will look right through a sign that is in front of their face, unless it is floating in their way.
dEHmom 06:35 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
"Wet shoes not permitted beyond this point."

I've noticed my parents will look right through a sign that is in front of their face, unless it is floating in their way.
That sign is just asking for trouble. If we haven't all realized, people are dumb, and they will think that muddy shoes will be fine, poopy shoes will be fine, but if it's raining that's the only time they can't cross that line.

People can read something 1000 times, but if they don't want to understand what it says, they won't. Some people, no matter how nice they are, are completely unaware of the things they do.
momma2girls 06:39 AM 01-19-2011
While we are on the subject of disrespectful parents-one of my daycare moms says to me this am "I just want to tell you I am going to be late tonight." It's probably only going to be 10-15 min. OMG!! She has to pick up somthing after work. I already had plans to leave the house right at closing time! I know she will not pay me any extra either. Sometimes you just want to scream!! On a lighter note, I only have one child in daycare today. One is sick and one has a DR. appt. with shots.
marniewon 07:09 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
While we are on the subject of disrespectful parents-one of my daycare moms says to me this am "I just want to tell you I am going to be late tonight." It's probably only going to be 10-15 min. OMG!! She has to pick up somthing after work. I already had plans to leave the house right at closing time! I know she will not pay me any extra either. Sometimes you just want to scream!! On a lighter note, I only have one child in daycare today. One is sick and one has a DR. appt. with shots.
I think I would have said, oh, I have plans right away after work tonight. But.....if you really need to be late, I guess I can change them, just remember to bring the $xx late fee for me. Wait, maybe I wouldn't say that - if it was a parent who didn't mind paying the late fees, she might decide to be late all the time, figuring you'd just change plans. I would have either said, NO, I'm sorry, I need to leave on time tonight. OR Okay, make sure to bring the $xx for the late fees when you pick up. One or the other, depending on how important your plans were for after work.
marniewon 07:10 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
Here are some cute signs

http://victorystore00.stores.yahoo.net/reshsi.html
I especially like #5!!
DanceMom 07:18 AM 01-19-2011
I have this problem !!! My rug is ruined from these parents..NOT The kids..the PARENTS.. I have a mom that wears big ole boots and walks her child here from her house - she is two blocks away...she NEVER stays on the rug and drags salt, snow and dirt alllll over my wood floors. I found a rug in my garage that is Larger that covers the whole area .

I put a blurb in my newsletter to please wipe your feet before entering as the salt, snow and dirt are not good for my wood floors and the babies will eat the salt, I put the salt down for their protection from falling down but will stop if they keep dragging it in...This didnt phase them..they still came in without wiping or tapping their feet...

I vacuumed up 5 cups for salt from my rug last week and was fed up so I put the note on the door so they see it before coming in - PLEASE WIPE AND TAP YOUR BOOTS/SHOES BEFORE ENTERING OR REMOVE THEM"

I also have a large tub that all the kids are to put their boots/shoes in the tub when they take them off.

I would LOVE to go into their houses and tromp around all over with my boots on ! So rude !!! Drives me CRAZY !!!!!!
E Daycare 09:50 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
I have this problem !!! My rug is ruined from these parents..NOT The kids..the PARENTS.. I have a mom that wears big ole boots and walks her child here from her house - she is two blocks away...she NEVER stays on the rug and drags salt, snow and dirt alllll over my wood floors. I found a rug in my garage that is Larger that covers the whole area .

I put a blurb in my newsletter to please wipe your feet before entering as the salt, snow and dirt are not good for my wood floors and the babies will eat the salt, I put the salt down for their protection from falling down but will stop if they keep dragging it in...This didnt phase them..they still came in without wiping or tapping their feet...

I vacuumed up 5 cups for salt from my rug last week and was fed up so I put the note on the door so they see it before coming in - PLEASE WIPE AND TAP YOUR BOOTS/SHOES BEFORE ENTERING OR REMOVE THEM"

I also have a large tub that all the kids are to put their boots/shoes in the tub when they take them off.

I would LOVE to go into their houses and tromp around all over with my boots on ! So rude !!! Drives me CRAZY !!!!!!

AUGH!!

That wouldve sent me reeling. Id put up a sign that says "we now do like the Chinese do, take of your shoes before coming in!". lol
DanceMom 09:51 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
AUGH!!

That wouldve sent me reeling. Id put up a sign that says "we now do like the Chinese do, take of your shoes before coming in!". lol
Haha I would but one of my clients are chinese
E Daycare 09:55 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
Haha I would but one of my clients are chinese
OMG shouldnt they KNOW then? lol
dEHmom 10:04 AM 01-19-2011
I used to be a major stickler about taking off shoes. But now lots of people have sandals/slippers they keep here to wear. My dad wears rubbers so he just takes those off and keeps his shoes on, but he is old and it's hard for him to tie his shoes, lol.

If it's raining or muddy or snowy boots take them off for sure. But in the summer, I usually tell people to keep their sandals/shoes on if they want to. Because i know often my floors are sandy (from the sandbox), wet from the kids int he sprinkler, dog hair is annoying or just smelly feet ewww.....

But when people just walk in with shoes and I haven't said "don't worry about it, leave them on" it makes me sooooo mad. I'm very irritable, and if someone doesn't have the courtesy to at least assume that I want them off, it erks me big time. Assume that I want them off, if I tell you otherwise then fine.

Just like people who butt on my sidewalk, grrrrr.....

I have a sign in my bathroom, it's clearly visible to anyone using the bathroom, it says

Our aim is to keep this bathroom clean...Gentlemen...your aim will help, please stand closer, it's shorter than you think....Ladies....Please remain seated for the entire performance.

If only the kids could read....

I also like the one "if you sprinkle when you tinkle, be a sweetie and wipe the seatie."
lil angels 10:28 AM 01-19-2011
yep I keep my door locked and let them in as they come. And as they pick up I will either have their kids dressed and ready to go if I know exactly when they are coming or I will bring their kid to the door when they come so they parents have no reason to leave the entry. Some of my parents will call and say that they are running 10 min early so that I can get them ready its a win win for both of us. They don't sit and chat forever either them. I also use table salt for my walk ways and it does not seem to get brought in I don't even have that white scum on everything. It works great.
mac60 10:49 AM 01-19-2011
I have made a generous size area for parents to come in and drop off/pick up kids. 1/3 of my living room actually is dedicated to drop off/pick up. Just can't quite understand why you have to step off the area rug to pick up your child. It is simply disrespect. Heck, I don't even ask the parents to take their shoes off before coming in, only to stay on the rug.....why are some things that should be so simple and a part of being respectful be so darn hard.
Danielle 10:53 AM 01-19-2011
How about getting these and as the parents walk in, you hand them one and stand in front of them until they put them on. I can see how taking shoes on and off could be a pain...maybe that's part of the problem?? This would be easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Pla.../dp/B000EPD6KM
Blackcat31 11:17 AM 01-19-2011

Maybe like everything else the answer is $$$$. Don't say anything just tack on an additional carpet cleaning charge to those parents who keep their shoes/boots on and leave the rug. Have their bills read:

Services for week of 1/17-21 $***X
Leaving the rug with wet boots: $25

I bet they will start staying on the rug!
lvt77 11:23 AM 01-19-2011
I have a really cute sign on the door that says please remove shoes before walking on carpet, had it made at the fair.... My husband's culture is to remove shoes before entering the house. I often have to remind parents that it helps keep carpet cleaning cost down and rates from going up....
My Daycare 11:45 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
How about getting these and as the parents walk in, you hand them one and stand in front of them until they put them on. I can see how taking shoes on and off could be a pain...maybe that's part of the problem?? This would be easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Pla.../dp/B000EPD6KM
LOL! Great idea. I will try this next time I need to. My husband has a bunch in the garage for his job.
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
LOL! Great idea. I will try this next time I need to. My husband has a bunch in the garage for his job.
I saw this on America's Next Great Inventor a few years ago....
http://www.bootie-butler.com/
I think it was designed for contractors and repairmen who don't have time to take shoes/boots off when doing a service call in someone's home.
mac60 11:51 AM 01-19-2011
I do not expect them to remove their shoes when entering to drop off and pick up, I am expecting them to stay on the area rug provided 5 x 8, and not step on the carpets. This is what I need a sign to say...

Hmm:

Thank you for staying on the area rug. (Simple and to the point, but is it rude for me to put this on my front door?)

The after hours maid thanks you for keeping your shoes on the area rug.

Please be respectful of my home and keep your shoes on the area rug provided.

Don't be a douche bag.....keep your feet on the area rug when entering.

Anymore????
newtodaycare22 12:08 PM 01-19-2011
I like getting the kids involved. My kids know the routine at the front door (shoes, then coat) and we discuss how visitors stop at a certain point or wipe their shoes well.

The other day one girl had a different person drop her off. (She's 3). She came in the door and the person dropping her off tried to walk further. She (very politely) said, "No, I stop here to take off my shoes and you need to wipe your feet. This is Mrs. Miller's home."

It was SO adorable and solved that problem! (It's especially great if another parent overhears this conversation )
lvt77 12:11 PM 01-19-2011
I do not expect them to remove their shoes when entering to drop off and pick up, I am expecting them to stay on the area rug provided 5 x 8, and not step on the carpets. This is what I need a sign to say...

Hmm:

Thank you for staying on the area rug. (Simple and to the point, but is it rude for me to put this on my front door?)

Anymore????
lmao i think i just fell off my chair reading:
make me one of those signs too..
My Daycare 12:22 PM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I saw this on America's Next Great Inventor a few years ago....
http://www.bootie-butler.com/
I think it was designed for contractors and repairmen who don't have time to take shoes/boots off when doing a service call in someone's home.
I've never seen that before.

I just copied and pasted this statement from the front page of their site. "The original and still the best shoe cover dispenser available, despite many lmitations.
" Am I reading this right, are they insulting themselves?
momma2girls 12:37 PM 01-19-2011

Hmm:

Anymore????
I have it in my contract- something like this- please be respectful to my home and daycare and please remove shoes, if you are going to walk past the foyer area. This is also taught to your child here in daycare. Also please knock before entering my private home and daycare
missnikki 12:39 PM 01-19-2011
lol mac, douchebag...

how about: "Douchebags, mac60, and daycare kids only beyond this point"!
momma2girls 12:41 PM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
lol mac, douchebag...

how about: "Douchebags, mac60, and daycare kids only beyond this point"!
This is a good one!!!
E Daycare 05:15 PM 01-19-2011
Don't be a douche bag.....keep your feet on the area rug when entering
OMG that made me laugh so hard I have tears in my eyes!
Kaddidle Care 07:07 PM 01-19-2011
I used to neaten up the living room before dcg was dropped off which included vacuuming. We have a sidewalk and DCD would tromp across the front lawn, step over the outside mat and walk across the inside mat to put his daughter on the couch. Big, muddy footprints across the floor in his wake. He was clueless. I stopped bothering to vacuum before drop off in the am - it wasn't worth it.

Put more mats out - they have floor runners too. Use them - don't let them ruin your carpeting.

While some of the signs are great - I liked that #5 one too - they'll have that "it doesn't apply to me" attitude.
Crystal 05:23 AM 01-20-2011
Be prepared with cleaning supplies in hand in the A.M. Each time a parent walks in and leaves dirty prints, hand them the cleaning supplies and say " I realize you are in a hurry as you need to get to work, but I need to focus on caring for the children, not on cleaning their parents mess. PLease clean the floor on your way out the door"

And, yes, I would do that
dEHmom 05:43 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
I like getting the kids involved. (It's especially great if another parent overhears this conversation )
haha, newtodaycare I send my kids in to do the dirty work too. They are my backbone. Or I politely give them crap for something, loud enough that others over hear. Some parents are dumb though, honestly, and could care less. I've had visitors (not daycare clients) in my home with their kids. I tell my kids not to throw balls in the house, they are going to break something. Their kids stop and look at me while I'm saying this. My kids put the ball down, and their kid starts throwing it again! Parents just sit there, smile and then go back to talking. ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR......That's when I deal with their kid. They never come back to my house for some reason. lol.
Childminder 06:10 AM 01-20-2011
I have rule in my handbook and a sign posted on my front door that states 'Life is full of choices - Remove your shoes or clean my floor!' One day my doctor arrived to pick up his grandson and tromped across my lr and dr to pick up. I didn't say a word just walked over and got the mop and handed it to him. He never did it again and not one word was spoken.
SandeeAR 06:15 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I have rule in my handbook and a sign posted on my front door that states 'Life is full of choices - Remove your shoes or clean my floor!' One day my doctor arrived to pick up his grandson and tromped across my lr and dr to pick up. I didn't say a word just walked over and got the mop and handed it to him. He never did it again and not one word was spoken.

ROFL!!! Way to Go!!!!
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 01-20-2011
OMG! That is awesome!! So are you saying we don't need cute signs or notes home or cleaning fees or even verbal reminders?? We just have to hand the mop over!!! That is priceless! Way to go!!
MarinaVanessa 07:18 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
That's when I deal with their kid. They never come back to my house for some reason. lol.
So strange, this happens to me too. My neices and nephews don't like coming to my home because, as my 8yo nephew put it "they have rules" . Apparently they cab do whatever they want in their own homes. I always tell the boys (in front of my SIL or cousin because... well I just don't care) "If you want to act like a bunch of rabid monkeys do it in your own home" and the girls get a "You may think your a princess and the rules don't apply but I am the queen here and this is my castle"
dEHmom 07:20 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
"You may think your a princess and the rules don't apply but I am the queen here and this is my castle"
Where do you think I can place this in my contract?
SandeeAR 07:53 AM 01-20-2011
Or just place this on the door.....

You may think you are the prince/princess here, but this is MY castle and I'm the King AND the Queen!!!

(Thanks for the main idea MarinaVanessa, just had to add a little twist to it!)
laundrymom 10:40 AM 01-20-2011
This sounds like my " you wake 'em - you take 'em" policy for my kids and their friends. They wake a baby they rock, hold, or play with them until nap is over.
Tags:bad parent, disrespectful, disrespectful parents
Reply Up