Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Your Kids Get Tired Of It?
rjskids 10:10 PM 06-03-2011
As a new in home provider my 10 year old DD is having a blast right now. Yesterday she wouldn't even leave me AND if she hears my son crying she is running downstairs and offering to take him upstairs with her. She LOVES to do grouptime with the kids and read them books (and she is actually a pretty entertaining book reader!). But I wondered if this will eventually wear off? Should I start preparing myself for any issues? Right now she is just happy that I am home and not at work cause I used to work nights and weekends, but eventually she'll forget what that was like and probably complain about me always being unavailable during the day.
Country Kids 10:29 PM 06-03-2011
I'm going to be very truthful and tell you mine definetly are tired of it. I have done it for 15 years and they were all raised in it. It was great when they were little but as they became older it has become more difficult. It is a struggle to be able to do things with them-school events, appointments, just having fun. Its not like you can maybe take an extended lunch and do something at the school with them/take them to the dentist and such. You either have to have an assistant help, take all the childcare with you or take the day off.

Then there are days off from school. They have to share that whole time with the childcare. No friends can come over and play because they count in your numbers so its very easy to go over if friends start coming over. You can't take your children anywhere because there may not be room in your car for everyone or parents do not want their child transported.

Remember the daycare children are in their home for hours a day, taking all of moms time from them, and maybe always crying or who knows what all. It is fun at first to have all these friends to play with but then it will become like an overwelcomed guest that will just never leave.

Make sure somehow to spend lots of one on one time with her. Do not let the daycare take over because it can very easily do that. Good luck in your new adventure and remember that we are all here for you!
daycare 10:31 PM 06-03-2011
My 13 and 15 year old don't love it as much but they know better than to complain. They know if I had to work out of the home they wouldn't have more than half the stuff they have. I have told them that just because I'm home does not mean they can count on me to do stuff for them. I love talking to them about school and being here when they get home. I tell I need them out of the DC room until such and such time and I made a space for them and their friends in the garage. This way they can still have a life too.

I think as long as you get her to understand that from x time to x time you are working and any time outside that is for your kids.
lpperry 11:51 AM 06-04-2011
My 6 year old stepdaughter has been here a few days during the week between school ending and her summer camp starting. She is wonderful, plays very nicely with the kids, and has a great time. I think that she would get tired of being here every day with only the little kids. If she was here full-time during the day in the summer, I would feel like I would need to add in a child her age as well to make things more fun for her.
MyAngels 02:51 PM 06-04-2011
I think a lot of her attitude will come from you. If you love what you are doing, and make sure that your kids understand why you do what you do, they will resent it far less.

All of my kids grew up while I have run my daycare. I'm sure there were times that they would rather have not had the little ones in the house, but if they did, they never said much about it. As they look back now (they are over the age of 21) they have told me many times how much they appreciate that I was "always there for them." They have also become a great source for referrals, as well, so that's a bonus .
Tags:happy, new kid
Reply Up