Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>For The Record
hoopinglady 11:14 AM 07-30-2013
I was up reading through old threads last night and there was one strange one from a supposed Resource and Referral Person....it got ugly.

Anyhoo, she/he recommended a Jeff Johnson book about burn out called "Finding your Smile Again"

Because of the nature of the post a lot of folks dismissed the book but just for the record, the book is really good and he is a wonderful advocate particularly for family childcare providers.

He is an advocate for play based programs as well as helping providers remember to care for themselves. Good stuff.
Heidi 11:26 AM 07-30-2013
ok...now we are all going to be trying to find that old thread...

Ladies, look, but DONT TOUCH! You know what'll happen....
CedarCreek 12:53 PM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
ok...now we are all going to be trying to find that old thread...

Ladies, look, but DONT TOUCH! You know what'll happen....
I'm looking for it right now!

I will not post though!
hoopinglady 01:25 PM 07-31-2013
it was started by an unregistered supposed r and r person who claimed this forum was full of bad practice.

An argument ensued but no examples were ever given for said bad practice so it kind of fizzled out.
daycare 01:26 PM 07-31-2013
Do as I say, not as I do...lol

what is funny is that I have had someone from R&R recommend that book to me.......hmmmmm

now that has got me thinking.
Cat Herder 07:31 AM 09-17-2014
Late to this post... but FTR I did do as she suggested and bought the book.

I love it. I have recommended it here a few times since.

A little obvious in places, a lot of stuff we talk about here ALL. THE. TIME. (with less dark humor and commiseration which made it feel lacking somehow. more Pollyanna than Lewis Black)) but a good read nonetheless.

I wonder if she bought a copy of "A Mothers Job: The History of Daycare" or "Doing Time: What it means to grow up in daycare".

How cool would it be for her to come back for discussion? I would have loved the opportunity to learn something new from her.

As an aside: Bad practice... Wait 10-20 years it will all cycle back through.... The Prism and the Pendulum... now, there you go.
Tags:finding your smile again
Reply Up