Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Redoing The Playroom/Minimalist
LVG 09:14 AM 01-26-2015
There are TONS of ideas on Pintrest, blogs, and all that, but most of these people do not have a daycare! So I am searching for those of you who live somewhat of a minimalist lifestyle that keep things simple in the play area. Over the last several months I have gradually worked to create a home with less so there is less clutter and cleaning involved, but I am by no means a "real" minimalist or close to it yet. I have stuff on my walls, and it's not all white, and my closets are still packed with more clothes than a person really needs, but at least I am making progress I really want to redo my playroom as my next project (I think I have redone the thing 100 times already and I just can't get satisfied with it so I am reaching out for help). My husband is going to make custom storage cubes that fit the ikea trofast bins so we can make it fit the room just perfect, and I can label them. I guess I just really want to know how many toys to keep out at a time. For example: How many puzzles do you keep out, how many blocks, how many in general of just toys? Right now we have what I feel like is a ton, but I guess I always feel like I need more because we have more kids with the daycare than the average family has that keeps a small number of toys. So, what do you guys have available at any given time that live a minimalist type lifestyle? I was going to list all that I have so someone could help me with what to scale back, but I think just hearing what others have may help me with that. My plan is to set up a rotation system because we have some nice toys, but they just don't all need to be out at once! Also, anyone who wants to share their playroom pix feel free. Mine is fairly small (a formal living room area), but I am super happy to have a whole room dedicated to just play in since many don't have that. Looking forward to seeing what some of you are doing to keep a handle on the toys!
Unregistered 09:19 AM 01-26-2015
My kids were huge into dump and go and no one wanted to pickup any toys. So I bought about 40 shoe box size totes and put all the toys into the totes and all the totes into the closet. The children get to pick a tote to play with or I set out a few and they have to be picked up before anything else comes out. My playroom looks so clean! The kids don't seem to mine it either.
LVG 09:59 AM 01-26-2015
Great idea! Hoping more people will chime in! The more ideas the better! I have definitely given some thought to putting toys up high in bins that I get down for them, but we just have not implemented putting up out of reach shelves yet. I don't have a closet downstairs that I could easily stick bins into to pull out throughout the day, but adding high shelves will definitely be on my list of things to do as we redo things!
lovemykidstoo 10:08 AM 01-26-2015
I'm looking for ideas too since we will be moving and I'm not sure what kind of space I'll have to work with. Might need to have storage for toys that doesn't look like dc toys if that makes sense. I did find on pinterest a kid table that folds down like a murphy bed folds down that I thought was super cool. When it's folded up it just looks like 3 square boxes that you could probably put pictures in.
Leigh 10:13 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My kids were huge into dump and go and no one wanted to pickup any toys. So I bought about 40 shoe box size totes and put all the toys into the totes and all the totes into the closet. The children get to pick a tote to play with or I set out a few and they have to be picked up before anything else comes out. My playroom looks so clean! The kids don't seem to mine it either.
I use those totes, too (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I print a photo of the toys that go in there. If it's dinosaurs, a dino photo gets glued on. Little People, a photo of Little People. It helps even the youngest figure out where stuff goes.
LVG 10:16 AM 01-26-2015
Oh, that table sounds cool! I asked my husband to build something similar for my daughter to have her own work desk (a small one)...that way I could fold it up and lock it so my son who is younger and thinks tearing stuff up is fun can't get into it (saw that on pintrest too) But now I am thinking a larger, long table done this way could be super useful for storing all the craft supplies and being able to lock them away when not in use, AND keep the kids in the playroom for craft time instead of the kitchen table. Something like this: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/good...ns-1502-100298
LVG 10:19 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I use those totes, too (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I print a photo of the toys that go in there. If it's dinosaurs, a dino photo gets glued on. Little People, a photo of Little People. It helps even the youngest figure out where stuff goes.

I had thought about this too, but I can see the pictures getting ripped off...do you have that issue? I guess packing tape may work, but then again I put that on the trampoline bar that they were chewing the rubber off of, and they now peel the tape off instead! I was going to put chalkboard paint on the trofast bins and use a wet erase chalk pin to draw pictures so it can't be ripped off or erased!
melilley 10:22 AM 01-26-2015
I sent you a pm.
LVG 10:44 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
I sent you a pm.
I messaged you back...new to the daycare forum, so I'm guessing it went through
lovemykidstoo 12:56 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by LVG:
Oh, that table sounds cool! I asked my husband to build something similar for my daughter to have her own work desk (a small one)...that way I could fold it up and lock it so my son who is younger and thinks tearing stuff up is fun can't get into it (saw that on pintrest too) But now I am thinking a larger, long table done this way could be super useful for storing all the craft supplies and being able to lock them away when not in use, AND keep the kids in the playroom for craft time instead of the kitchen table. Something like this: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/good...ns-1502-100298
Aren't those tables cool? There is a specific picture of one that when you fold up the legs, it looks like 3 picture frames. I'll have to look for it.

These are the pictures of the table I want. You could leave plain on the outside or decorate with regular furnishings to match your own house decor, not necessarily daycare decore, so when not working it looks like your house.
Attached: daycaretable.jpg (41.2 KB) insidedaycaretable.jpg (31.9 KB) 
originalkat 07:32 AM 01-27-2015
I am a minimalist for the most part. My daycare space has the following:

1 Shelf with Blocks and Building Stuff:
8 Small containers w lids
3 Large Containers w/out lids
Puzzles (12 wooden puzzles in a wooden case) (stored on top of shelf)

Large Block Storage Bin (short open,stack-able storage shelf)
Wooden Unit blocks
Lg. colored foam blocks

1 Shelf with Math/Fine Motor Boxes:
18 Boxes with lids

1 Reading Loft Area:
2 Tubs of books
Flannel Board
Alphabet Magnet Board

Dramatic Play Area:
1 Kitchen Stove (cute from pottery barn)
1 Lg. Box of play food/kitchen stuff stored inside

Art Area:
Easel w/ Storage Below containing paper, crayons, markers

Circle Time Easel
Wooden whiteboard easel from Lakeshore.
I keep Circle time supplies underneath and all charts/calendar is on the easel.

Entrance/Cubby Area:
1 Shelf Area w/ 8 large Boxes for Cubbies
Child Mailboxes on top of shelf (I use paper trays)

The walls are painted a creamy greyish yellow. I do not have too much on the walls so that it does not appear too cluttery.
LVG 11:02 AM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Aren't those tables cool? There is a specific picture of one that when you fold up the legs, it looks like 3 picture frames. I'll have to look for it.

These are the pictures of the table I want. You could leave plain on the outside or decorate with regular furnishings to match your own house decor, not necessarily daycare decore, so when not working it looks like your house.
Love these tables!!!
LVG 11:13 AM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I am a minimalist for the most part. My daycare space has the following:

1 Shelf with Blocks and Building Stuff:
8 Small containers w lids
3 Large Containers w/out lids
Puzzles (12 wooden puzzles in a wooden case) (stored on top of shelf)

Large Block Storage Bin (short open,stack-able storage shelf)
Wooden Unit blocks
Lg. colored foam blocks

1 Shelf with Math/Fine Motor Boxes:
18 Boxes with lids

1 Reading Loft Area:
2 Tubs of books
Flannel Board
Alphabet Magnet Board

Dramatic Play Area:
1 Kitchen Stove (cute from pottery barn)
1 Lg. Box of play food/kitchen stuff stored inside

Art Area:
Easel w/ Storage Below containing paper, crayons, markers

Circle Time Easel
Wooden whiteboard easel from Lakeshore.
I keep Circle time supplies underneath and all charts/calendar is on the easel.

Entrance/Cubby Area:
1 Shelf Area w/ 8 large Boxes for Cubbies
Child Mailboxes on top of shelf (I use paper trays)

The walls are painted a creamy greyish yellow. I do not have too much on the walls so that it does not appear too cluttery.

I had written a post back to you, but forgot to login and it looks like it didn't go through! Anyway, thank you for listing out your toys!! That is a huge help! I don't think I have too much after seeing what you have, but I think my key is storing it better! I've decided to have my husband make me a cabinet that I can lock with clear bins labeled with pictures (as mentioned by someone else). This way I can control how many toys are out at any given time, rather than having ALL the toys out at once. This also natually creates a rotation system! I have all of my school related items kept in a closet, and my circle time things are actually written on a wall painted with chalkboard paint, so I at least have that worked out pretty well. I sent you a pm about laundry. Hope you don't mind!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:27 AM 01-30-2015
Here are some photos of my playroom. I have out a variety and I change it as they become disinterested. My rule is no more than I could personally pick up in 5 minutes. This means that they are not overwhelmed at pick up time.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5575468&type=3

This one shows storage closet-
LVG 11:33 AM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Here are some photos of my playroom. I have out a variety and I change it as they become disinterested. My rule is no more than I could personally pick up in 5 minutes. This means that they are not overwhelmed at pick up time.

This one shows storage closet-

Thanks for the photos! I would love to have a closet that size in the playroom! Great rule too! I do not pick up any toys during our first clean up...I make the kids do it, BUT it takes them 20 minutes!! It would probably take me about 10
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:37 AM 01-30-2015
Thanks for the photos! I would love to have a closet that size in the playroom! Great rule too! I do not pick up any toys during our first clean up...I make the kids do it, BUT it takes them 20 minutes!! It would probably take me about 10
Oh I don't clean up- they do but that is how I judge what is out and what is in combination with other toys- so I watch that I don't have tons with small pieces out at the same time that if they were dumped together would be hard to sort.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:40 AM 01-30-2015

this was the playroom for purple day- very minimalist
LVG 12:07 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:

this was the playroom for purple day- very minimalist
I wished I would be more organized with this kind of thing! I am doing good to keep up with the coloring pages and activities my curriculum I use has! I taught school for 10 years and had to, of course, have everything prepared or get a slap on the wrist, so I think I've let myself relax in that area too much now that someone isn't watching my every move. As I do my room redo, I plan to make themed sensory bins since I will have a good place to store them!! I guess I've been relaxed too because this is my first year, and we moved halfway through...so having the time to get my space like I want it hasn't really been an option:/. I am excited to finally get things more in order!!
Controlled Chaos 12:20 PM 01-30-2015
My new space is quite minimal compared to my old one. I rotate out half the toys weekly so it keeps things fresh. When I look at it without kids I often think there isn't enough in it, but the kids are never bored.

http://www.littlefriendsdaycareslc.c...bumid=14067554
LVG 12:43 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
My new space is quite minimal compared to my old one. I rotate out half the toys weekly so it keeps things fresh. When I look at it without kids I often think there isn't enough in it, but the kids are never bored.

http://www.littlefriendsdaycareslc.c...bumid=14067554
Love your space! You ladies have huge areas to work with! How on earth do you keep the babies from tearing down your number posters and such?!?! That's why I made mine on the chalkboard, up high, but the only thing I don't like is that it is not interactive:/. I am thinking of making a space on the wall and putting doors on it so I can close it up when it's not in use! Maybe I just have some wild babies. Two of them are always into something they shouldn't be:/
Controlled Chaos 12:59 PM 01-30-2015
Love your space! You ladies have huge areas to work with! How on earth do you keep the babies from tearing down your number posters and such?!?! That's why I made mine on the chalkboard, up high, but the only thing I don't like is that it is not interactive:/. I am thinking of making a space on the wall and putting doors on it so I can close it up when it's not in use! Maybe I just have some wild babies. Two of them are always into something they shouldn't be:/
Thanks! I thought the babies would tear down my posters lol, they just haven't gotten around to it yet I figure since these posters cost me a few buck on amazon (used with a crease or 2 in them) it was worth making them interactive and if the rip its not a big deal. Having doors that close on it would be super neat.
midaycare 01:56 PM 01-30-2015
I think you guys would all walk in my playroom and be like, "The clutter! The clutter!"

But I enjoy seeing everyone's ideas. Very cool!
SilverSabre25 03:00 PM 01-30-2015
I just started an intense whole house decluttering and possession reduction project. Not lying, I'm afraid to reach the toys part. I have SO MUCH. anbd most of it is away because I can't figure out how to arrange things. Sigh.
LVG 03:44 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I think you guys would all walk in my playroom and be like, "The clutter! The clutter!"

But I enjoy seeing everyone's ideas. Very cool!
Too funny! I'm sure you have a great space! Mine is still a work in progress!
LVG 03:47 PM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I just started an intense whole house decluttering and possession reduction project. Not lying, I'm afraid to reach the toys part. I have SO MUCH. anbd most of it is away because I can't figure out how to arrange things. Sigh.
I had a ton at one point from never purging since my DD was born 3 years ago! I finally at least got everything sorted to a keep and purge pile, but haven't actually gotten rid of it all yet! I have literally rearranged the play room 3 times since I moved 6 months ago! I just can't get it exactly how I want it! Mostly because it's so dang expensive to get all the stuff to organize it all!
Reply Up