Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Using MMK-Divorced Parents- Who Do I Bill?
legomom922 07:16 PM 10-18-2010
I use MMk and you know the place where its says who do you want to bill? In a case of divorced parents, whose name do I put on the invoice? How am I suppose toknow ho will be taking the childcare credit? I have never had divorced parents before and they start tomorrow.
lovinmylife 11:43 PM 10-18-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I use MMk and you know the place where its says who do you want to bill? In a case of divorced parents, whose name do I put on the invoice? How am I suppose toknow ho will be taking the childcare credit? I have never had divorced parents before and they start tomorrow.
When my daughter was in daycare my ex and I split the daycare bill. We had to provide the provider a copy of our parenting plan which stated who paid what and when. Not sure where you are but here in Washington it should be stated in the parenting plan.
DancingQueen 02:57 AM 10-19-2010
I had this come up recently.
I have a mom that came tome for care.
Parents are not together.
Since mom signed the contract I began by putting all receipts in her name and never thought twice about it.
Then dad started paying me and mom would pay once in a while.
They had never been to court or had an agreement so when he asked for receipts
I told him that rather than have 2 receipts for them I would go back and change the receipts to read "Jane Doe and John Smith".
They could do what they wanted with that.
I don't know if it was the right answer or not.

this is the same daycare family that left me and is now coming back and I'm going to have to do this over again.
legomom922 04:57 AM 10-19-2010
Is there a way in MMK so the bill will read both parents names?
daysofelijah 05:19 AM 10-19-2010
I never could find a way to post both parent's names. I wish it would though!
DancingQueen 05:41 AM 10-19-2010
I was able to by fudging it so that the billed parent's first name was moms full name and last name was dad's full name.

It prints "Jane Doe John Smith"
MarinaVanessa 06:41 AM 10-19-2010
From my experience you have to give receipts to the person that is paying you. If mom pays you then the receipt/payment must be in her name. If dad pays you then it must be in his. I have a DCB that has parents that are not together/never married and DCD usually pays the DC fee. Of course he pays in check and the check only has his name on it so I make out a receipt in his name and log it as his payment. Sometimes DCD is out of work or can't pay or whatever (he's a contractor) so DCM pays for a week here and there, when this happens (she usually pays cash) I give her a receipt under her name.

Don't forget that there's a difference between the child tax credit and the child care tax credit. For example if DCB lives with mom primarily she can claim the tax credit and whatever portion of child care that she pays for and dad can claim the portion that he paid in daycare (but not the child tax credit). At the end of the year I give each of them a W-10 along with an end-of-year receipt that they sign with their individual totals so that they can each claim what they paid for child care on their taxes. It's fair and only logical. Why should DCM get credit for daycare fees AND the child credit when DCD pays for daycare? My contract is with DCM only also but I give the receipt based on who pays me.
legomom922 08:58 AM 10-19-2010
From what I know, they are not totaly divorced yet, but in process. They have agreed to split the dc bill but there is nothing in writing ..yet. So do you think its best that I print them an invoice that shows both of their names??

What is a w-10? where do I get them and what is there purpose, & do I need one?
missnikki 09:11 AM 10-19-2010
I have both parents sign the contract, and put both names on invoices. If only one parent signs, that is who's name is on the invoices. Whoever I have a signature for is who is liable to pay, IMO.
MarinaVanessa 09:29 AM 10-19-2010
From what I know, they are not totaly divorced yet, but in process. They have agreed to split the dc bill but there is nothing in writing ..yet. So do you think its best that I print them an invoice that shows both of their names??

What is a w-10? where do I get them and what is there purpose, & do I need one?
If they aren't divorced yet then ask them to give you their request in writing as to however they want you to handle this, this way it's up to them and they leave you out of it.

A W-10 is a form that you can give to the parent's at the end of the year that gives them either your SSN or your tax I number, EIN etc (if you don't feel comfortable giving out your SSN). The forms title is actually Dependent Care Provider's Identification and Certification. In addition to this form you should give them an end-of year receipt. This receipt should have the date it was filled out, received from (name of perent(s)), the number amount $X,***.00), the written amount (like a check), name of child(ren), date of services (1/1/2010-12/31/2010 if they were with you all year long etc.) Your signature and their signature and keep one copy for you and a copy goes to them.

BUT, technically you don't haveto give this to them if they don't ask you for it. I always fill one out anyway because I'm paranoid that I'll one day get a parent that doesn't ask me for an end of year receipt and they claim their daycare costs on their returns and fib it and I'll get audited or something.
legomom922 07:13 AM 10-21-2010
So I fudged it. In the space where it says parents name, like mother and father, I wrote both their names and last name seperate under last name. that way, when the bill prints, its says mother/father smith. Then who ever pays, I put the reciept under the name of the person who paid me. So thats the way I will do it. Bill both, but give reciept to whomever pays that week. They can figure it out for themselves the rest of it!

Where do you get w-10's anyway?
MarinaVanessa 08:27 AM 10-21-2010

Where do you get w-10's anyway?
Just Google W-10 and it should come up as a pdf then all you have to do it print it out. It's two W-10's per sheet I believe.
Tags:billing, divorce, mmk
Reply Up