Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>family visitors during daycare
Peaches 11:11 AM 04-28-2015
Wondering how to handle having my MIL with us on Friday. She's flying to town for my sons birthday over the weekend and will be here all day Friday during daycare hours. I have let all the parents know and they are fine with it, but I also know from experience having visitors creates disruptions. Normally I don't encourage out of town guest because then I feel more in a position to host. I've been thinking about how I'd like to go about managing Friday. Part of me thinks I should just send her on a bunch of errands to prep for the party, but I also know since she lives so far away she'd like all the time she can get with the grandkids (2 and 3 1/2) who are also part of my daycare. So then I start thinking I should set it up were she's a helper. Has anyone else run into this with their family? Any advice on how to handle would be appreciated.
Thriftylady 11:15 AM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
Wondering how to handle having my MIL with us on Friday. She's flying to town for my sons birthday over the weekend and will be here all day Friday during daycare hours. I have let all the parents know and they are fine with it, but I also know from experience having visitors creates disruptions. Normally I don't encourage out of town guest because then I feel more in a position to host. I've been thinking about how I'd like to go about managing Friday. Part of me thinks I should just send her on a bunch of errands to prep for the party, but I also know since she lives so far away she'd like all the time she can get with the grandkids. So then I start thinking I should set it up were she's a helper. Has anyone else run into this with their family? Any advice on how to handle would be appreciated.
I have never had to do it. I do think letting her be a helper for the day would be awesome. She would feel included, the kids would likely love it and maybe you can do some special things you can't normally do by yourself?
kendallina 11:22 AM 04-28-2015
Do you have a separate space?

We have my inlaws visit several times a year and MIL used to help out in the preschool, but now that we have a separate space for them, they stay separate. They know that they are on their own for breakfast and lunch, I brief them on what we have to eat in the pantry and the rest is up to them. I'll sneak over here and there and chat with them for a minute or two when I have a chance, but for the most part, we don't spend much time together when I'm working. They watch tv or go shopping. Sometimes my daughter (now she's in kindy, but last year...) would choose to be with them and sometimes she would stay in preschool when they're here.

I would talk to her and she what she wants to do. If she wants to help out, great, if you're okay with it. If she wants to take the grandkids out to lunch or something, even better .
kendallina 11:27 AM 04-28-2015
Just like with daycare parents, though, whatever you do this time will set a precedent for every time she visits. If you prefer to be on your own and let her handle her own things when she's there, let her know.
Pepperth 11:27 AM 04-28-2015
I'm not sure I'd go the helper route, but maybe she can take your two children on an outing for the day, like to the park or something. That way she can have alone time with the grandbabies, and you don't have as many interruptions.
mamamanda 06:20 AM 04-29-2015
I have an aunt who comes once a week to spend time with my kids. She is very helpful & although it sometimes causes a slight disruption to schedule, mostly it works well. She reads to the kids, tells them stories, sits outside & chats with me while they play, & even folds my laundry on occasion. The kids all love her & call her the same affectionate name my children use for her. Hopefully it will work out well for you. I wouldn't expect your mil to "help" per se, but maybe you could let her know its ok to join in if she'd like. Just make sure to be clear when its time to change activities. No one does well when big parts of the schedule get thrown off.
BabyMonkeys 07:59 AM 04-29-2015
When my family comes from out of state I let them choose what they want to do. If they want to take my kids (teens) and go out somewhere they are welcome to, if they want to just hang out around here, they can expect to be swarmed with tiny little humans wanting to play with them. Thankfully it's never been a problem
KSDC 08:16 AM 04-29-2015
My DCKs love it when my parents come to visit.
My mom helps out with crafts and my dad is great with outdoor play.

One thing to think about is if your state allows visitors. Mine come over often enough that I had to have them on the list of approved adults and have the background checks done.
knoxmomof2 03:49 PM 05-04-2015
I've had this happen twice with my own parents.. but they drive so they're usually good for a nap in the middle of the day. DH's parents haven't visited since I started doing this. We homeschool, so they can pop in and visit with DD10 and DS11. My Dad is early 70's, so he's not too keen on the noise and such. My Mom's early 50's and she'll hang around for a bit but they pretty much do their own thing. I hang out with them during naptime, we have lunch. Never had them here for breakfast so I dunno how that would go.... I did notify them of the schedule this last time since they were going to be here during the day (last time they got in like an hour before closing), that way they knew what they were walking into. Hope this helps?
Reply Up