Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pooping Right At Pickup
ardeur 01:57 PM 05-15-2017
I've noticed a pattern with a little boy who poops RIGHT before or during pickup. It's happened three times now. I feel nervous and embarrassed because I don't want his parents thinking that I've kept him in a dirty diaper. I really haven't! There was a fourth time that he squatted down and made a stinky poo while his mom was chatting with me during pickup. She noticed and tried to bring him to the toilet to do his business there, but too late. So I'm hoping they don't think I'm leaving him in a soiled diaper. They haven't said anything but I still feel awkward.

Anyone else experience this?
Blackcat31 02:05 PM 05-15-2017
Originally Posted by ardeur:
I've noticed a pattern with a little boy who poops RIGHT before or during pickup. It's happened three times now. I feel nervous and embarrassed because I don't want his parents thinking that I've kept him in a dirty diaper. I really haven't! There was a fourth time that he squatted down and made a stinky poo while his mom was chatting with me during pickup. She noticed and tried to bring him to the toilet to do his business there, but too late. So I'm hoping they don't think I'm leaving him in a soiled diaper. They haven't said anything but I still feel awkward.

Anyone else experience this?
I have one that poos every single day right before or during pick up. He's got a regular pattern so I assume the parents recognize that. I just change them if I notice it or if the parent says something.

Otherwise, while I understand where you are coming from I don't think this should be something to stress about. If parents honestly think you are letting sit in a poopy diaper all day, there would be other signs.....diaper rash, not using enough diapers etc.... even their behavior would be indicative of their assumption if they did really think that so I'd let it go.

I know it's hard but I try not to stress about things that I don't know to be true. If parents don't bring up concerns, I assume there are none.
trix23 03:49 PM 05-15-2017
I've had this fear as well because I don't want to send them home in a dirty diaper and then they don't check for half an hour and then have a rash and then they think that I was neglectful. I had a client's cousin pick up the kid and then the kid must have pooped right after pick up on the way home or something but that person wasn't a mother and I dont think she would change a diaper... she must've let her sit in it until mom got her, but I got the blame for it. That was fun
Silly Songs 04:03 PM 05-15-2017
If you weren't changing him regularly, his diaper would be wet and dirty. Parents know if the child has been changed at regular intervals.
AmyKidsCo 07:51 PM 05-15-2017
No, I have the opposite - one who poops within 15 min of arriving. No matter if he arrives at 8 or 10, he poops first thing. Guess he's comfortable at my house!

ITA with what the others have said. If you're really worried you could say something to mom in a joking way about his timing.
Ariana 09:01 PM 05-15-2017
I would make a comment about it to let the parents know what is happening. "Little joey sure likes to poop right at pickup I have never seen a kid so regular hahaha" kind of thing and then go and change them.

I have a child that poops 4 times a day and one is always during his 2 1/2 hour nap so he wakes with a red bum almost every day he is here and I have to explain it to the mom. She knows and says he does the same thing at home.
Josiegirl 01:47 AM 05-16-2017
It's hard and yes, embarrassing, especially when a child could be picked up anywhere within a 90 minute time frame. I find myself checking their diapers every 15 minutes, they get sick of it and I do too. But what else can you do? Plus, my nose does not work like it used to. I have 2 dcgs who can go 3 hrs. without wetting their diaper then soak through everything. I swear I'm always checking them constantly.
So while I don't have a solution, I certainly understand.
Also, I have another issue with changing their diapers....2 of them(twins), when they poop, it's pretty messy and they fight my cleaning them up so badly, it's like they've been using that old thigh-master exerciser and just are so strong. I even apologized to dcm one time in case I wasn't getting them entirely clean.
KarenSue 08:12 AM 05-16-2017
I have the opposite too. I have two who poop on the way to my house almost every single day. The dad of one is so embarrassed and makes a big deal about it but I just take the baby and say don't worry I got it. When you gotta go you gotta go. It's obvious to me too it happens on the way since the diapers are pretty dry except the poop. Yours probably notice that too.
daycarediva 11:37 AM 05-16-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would make a comment about it to let the parents know what is happening. "Little joey sure likes to poop right at pickup I have never seen a kid so regular hahaha" kind of thing and then go and change them.

I have a child that poops 4 times a day and one is always during his 2 1/2 hour nap so he wakes with a red bum almost every day he is here and I have to explain it to the mom. She knows and says he does the same thing at home.
Yup. I would just point it out and say you'll check him regularly around that time and suggest they check as soon as they get home, too to prevent rash.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:28 AM 05-17-2017
Yes, I have. What we try to do is with those children is to hold off the last diaper till right before scheduled pickup. Then we try to cut pickup time short so they can get out the door. Another thing you can do if you want to reassure the parents is to mention your routine for changing diapers. Like we check/change every 2 hours (except for during napping). Hope that helps.
Mom2Two 02:09 PM 05-17-2017
I had one who pooped at the same identical time for a really long time. It wasn't during pick up but it was weird that it was right at the same time every day. I said something to mom, and the pattern changed. Then I started wondering if the parents were giving dcg miralax and doing it at the same time every day. ???
hwichlaz 02:40 PM 05-17-2017
I have one who always poops at nap...I even tried adjusting her nap time....nope. It's the laying down and relaxing that does it. So I just put a nice thick coat of rash cream on as a preventative in case I miss it for a bit. I generally smell it right away, but not always.
Tags:pick up behavior, pick up issues, pooping at pickup
Reply Up