Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Field Trip Expectations
gbcc 01:04 PM 03-25-2010
So, I purchased a vehicle so that I can take children on field trips. I have some really naughty children who can't behave in my home so I am a bit concerned about out in public. I will be giving parents a form stating all my expectations for them to review with children. It will state they are expected to abide by these rules and after thier 2nd strike parents will be made to find alternate care for that child on field trip days. Parents will sign it so there are no excuses.

Can everyone help me with expectations so that I can have a complete list for parents so there are no surprises or excuses?
tymaboy 01:17 PM 03-25-2010
Must sit buckled in car
no screaming, yelling, throwing objects, keep hands to themselfs, be respectful, stay with group are a few that I come up with right away.
grandmom 02:23 PM 03-25-2010
It appears you are the only adult? Tough call, if you are. If you set up these behavior expectations, expect the parents to find another daycare. One that doesn't take field trips....

If you have a helper, you could leave the mis-behaving child/ren with the helper. I always made it clear if you were disobedient or hurtful you didn't go on the field trip. Man, that changed some behaviors pronto.

Good luck.
momofsix 03:56 PM 03-25-2010
Siince you say they already don't behave in your home you might want to include whatever problem areas you already see in their behavior. Some rules might depend on the place--a library or museum would need quiet voices, a zoo not so much! I think the biggest one is staying with the group-however you work that out (within sight, hearing, w/ a partner if their older), and showing respect for people and the place where you are visiting. I would try to be specific in expectations, but also leave it open enough so you can use your own disgression regarding any misbehavior and whether or not it is disruptive enough to prevent a child from coming on a field trip. They should be fun for you too, and if someone is making it stressful, they don't need to come.
I think that is very reasonable to expect parents to sign something like this, I myself would not have any problems with it at all. and if any DO take offense--maybe it will be the ones that were trying to take advantage of field trip days in the first place
gbcc 05:03 PM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I think that is very reasonable to expect parents to sign something like this, I myself would not have any problems with it at all. and if any DO take offense--maybe it will be the ones that were trying to take advantage of field trip days in the first place
I actually find it kind of sad that I have to put out these expectations. My child would already know better and if he choose to disobey it would be me that took him out of special events. As a parent I would appreciate it because a misbehaved child can be dangerous to other children. It's really only two children that cause the problems. They are from 2 families. The only reason I haven't terminated is because I LOVE the siblings!

I have an assistant to help out and another helper for big places. We have 14 children though so it's not an option to leave children at home I need the help on the trip with me.
kitkat 05:56 PM 03-25-2010
I think it's a great idea to have the parents sign the expectation list. I'm not sure how old the kids are, but if any are school age, I'd have them sign it too, especially if they are the naughty ones! The parents with the better behaved kids will not be offended. The naughty kids parents...well, who cares if they are offended! They should feel lucky to have a provider willing to attempt field trips. Momofsix is right, field trips are suppose to be fun, for EVERYONE, including the provider. Having a list of expectations will help ensure everyone has an enjoyable time; it will give the kids clear boundaries and consequences. I'd say cover the basics and definitely cover the bad behavior you are seeing at your house.

Have fun on your trips!
Tags:field trips
Reply Up