Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Computer Time
BentleysBands 11:11 AM 11-03-2010
this is a spin off from another thread and got me thinking, do you have a computer for your daycare or share your own w/the kids?

If so, what sites do they enjoy?

I currently have 3 (ages 3,3 1/2 and 5) that do computer time WITH me since its on MY computer and well, we know what happens if left alone

we enjoy Nick Jr, Disney and sproutonline

so far, those are the only ones that hold their attentions.

we have a large 25" monitor that is touch screen and they just love it!!
kitkat 11:33 AM 11-03-2010
We don't do a lot of computer time, but when we do, it's usually the Fisher Price website. The kids also LOVE to watch the following on YouTube: Chick Chicka Boom Boom, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and a few other ones.
SandeeAR 11:36 AM 11-03-2010
Nope, no computer time here. All to little, but even when old enough, still No.

No parent is going to pay for me a new computer, if their child crashes mine.
DCMomOf3 11:49 AM 11-03-2010
I plan to get a daycare one next summer, but i do have one just for my kids. They love PBSkids.org as well as disney. we also have a large variety of kids pc games.
DanceMom 12:33 PM 11-03-2010
I have my Main computer in my office upstairs that is mine hands off...
my laptop I have in the dining room which is off the main area of daycare..if we do computer time its usually Sesame street or cute songs and fingerplays from youtube.. I never ever let them touch it though..I control it they watch with hands to themselves !!
tenderhearts 12:40 PM 11-03-2010
I use my computer that is in the daycare room for the kids. They have rules, they aren't allowed to just go to the computer and start playing, they aren't allowed to put the games in or take them out ect.
I do not allow any internet sites, I only have cd's, most are educational, like jumpstrt Preschool, reader rabbit, flash action, & a Mickey Mouse preschool, along with those being their favorites another favorite that isn't as educational is Mickey's kitchen.
Lilbutterflie 01:10 PM 11-03-2010
My husband is great with computers, and he set up a user profile just for the kids. They don't have the ability to mess anything up under this profile.
We don't do computer time too often, but when we do, their favorite website is starfall.com (a website designed for teaching the alphabet letters and sounds for pre-readers, and developing skills for those who can already read). They will sit there for hours if I let them!
mac60 01:33 PM 11-03-2010
No computer here for them to use. Like someone else said, no parent will replace when their child messes it up.
MarinaVanessa 06:47 PM 11-03-2010
My fiance does pc repair so he gets old computers all of the time which he pulls apart and makes working ones from. This is how we got our DC computer. If they break it, oh well, it was free and more than likely he has spare parts lying around that could get it working again so no biggy here. If it's for free then it's for me. If I'd had bought it I dunno if I'd let the kiddos touch it lol.

We like sproutonline also. And youtube songs but in reality we rarely use it. For fire safety week I youtubed fire safety videos so that was neat.
sierrastreasures 07:04 PM 11-03-2010
Computer here however not internet connected. It is used for educational games and "Hooked on Phonics"
Lucy 07:06 PM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by kitkat:
We don't do a lot of computer time, but when we do, it's usually the Fisher Price website. The kids also LOVE to watch the following on YouTube: Chick Chicka Boom Boom, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and a few other ones.
I'll have to check those out. I have a 2 yr old who LOVES Banana Phone on YouTube (not the fast version, the regular). Whenever she sees my laptop, she repeatedly says "Nana phone? Nana phone?". Too cute.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5C6X...eature=related
sierrastreasures 07:20 PM 11-03-2010
I have a big screen monitor so just before lunch the children grab a stadium cushion and find a comfortable spot on the floor and watch "The Magic School Bus". Did you know there is a website that shows tons of free "Magic School Bus" episodes? If interested here is the link:

http://www.sqooltools.com/edvideos/msb/index.html
momofsix 06:22 AM 11-04-2010
My kids don't use the computer, but sometimes we will watch a you-tube or something related to what we're doingl My kids LOVE
eric Herman videos: http://www.erichermanmusic.com/video.html
gkids09 11:59 AM 11-04-2010
We have a computer here just for the kids...It also has a few things saved on it for me to use and print when needed, but for the most part, I just use my laptop and let them use the pc. We don't have internet here, but I have tons of child-friendly games. I have a Sesame Street cd-rom and the JumpStart Preschool Advanced package..They LOVE them. I have one kid who'd play on the computer all day long if you'd let him (we don't). I also have a pack of school-age games for the after school kids who come. There is a Spongebob typing game, a math game, science game, Oregan Trail, and a couple more I can't remember off the top of my head...
Abigail 09:41 PM 11-04-2010
I remember when I first let a friend's child use my desktop for a kid's game. It makes a HUGE difference if they've ever touched a computer before because he was five and got mad and yelled because he couldn't get the mouse to go where he wanted it so I pretty much did it myself. Not worth it. Then I watched another girl who was 4 1/2 and they had a computer IN HER BEDROOM and she was a professional on it. She put in games from a choice of half a dozen and was showing me how to play it! LOL...maybe too much computer for her.

For daycare, I will not be having SA kids so I will not have computer time. I would hook up a cord to the tv or let them watch from my laptop's screen to see fingerplays and songs for us to learn, but it would be very limited. Their is just too much to do at daycare to bother with one computer when only a few could actually use it correctly.
Lianne 05:33 AM 11-05-2010
I have a computer specifically for the daycare kids. A friend was upgrading her kids' computer a couple months ago and she asked if I could use their old one. It's nothing special but it works for the kids and if something goes wrong with it, it's no big deal because it was free. I hadn't intended to let them go online but I have a wireless router already so the ability is there automatically. I programmed several appropriate sites into the favorites and the kids know to click on the star (faves list) and choose where they want to go. I have several old games on cd, too and I have to help the kids get those started. The kids are allowed on the computer for 20mins in the morning and the after schooler is allowed on for 20mins when she gets home from the bus. The kids love using the computer, even the 2 1/2yr olds are able to navigate the simple games without help and it's definitely another learning tool.

We use treehouse.com, pbs.org, nickjr.com and our favorite by far is webkinzjr.com

I am still looking for some sites aimed at the younger (2-4yr old) crowd so I'm going to check out the ones mentioned.

Oh, the computer is on a table next to my desk and chair, too, so I can always see what the kids are doing.
QualiTcare 06:58 AM 11-05-2010
www.starfall.com is a great site.

it's what we let the kindergarteners use in the computer center during literacy.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:44 AM 11-05-2010
Im wondering if my kids are alot younger than everyones,.. cause we dont even think to let them on the comp.??? my oldest will be 4 in feb,.. then Im all in the under 3 category
Lianne 05:19 PM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
Im wondering if my kids are alot younger than everyones,.. cause we dont even think to let them on the comp.??? my oldest will be 4 in feb,.. then Im all in the under 3 category
I have a 2.5yr old, a 3yr old, a 3.5yr old, a 4yr old and two 5yr olds. They all love playing on the computer and only the 2.5yr old needs hand over hand help. I bought a child-sized mouse and put a green dot sticker on the button they need to click on. I have one game that's aimed at the 2-3yr olds that the 3yr old (just turned 3) can do himself. It's a very simple Fisher Price farm game on CD. I'm keeping my eyes open for more games in that age bracket. He can play WebkinzJr and while he doesn't need hand over hand help he does need some help. The 3.5yr old, 4yr old and two 5yr olds can play independently.
Tags:computer, computer class
Reply Up