Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those With Babies vs Older ones
athomemommy 01:15 PM 06-14-2012
I haven't had any babies yet, but I am becoming highly annoyed but those in the 4 and up. Anyone have any rules on how they handle that. Thinking about not taking them older, but I have one with a sister who is still her 2 year old.

Thinking I may tell her mom it will be best if she does the after school program. She will be 5 next month( same age as my son) they will go to the same school.
cheerfuldom 01:56 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by athomemommy:
I haven't had any babies yet, but I am becoming highly annoyed but those in the 4 and up. Anyone have any rules on how they handle that. Thinking about not taking them older, but I have one with a sister who is still her 2 year old.

Thinking I may tell her mom it will be best if she does the after school program. She will be 5 next month( same age as my son) they will go to the same school.
yeah, school agers are hard. especially the ones who are almost big enough to go to school. there is nothing wrong with taking a break from the age group. the good thing with babies is you can teach them young and then you have years of easier care with them because they folllow all the rules. its super hard to teach kids that already of years of bad habits established.
EchoMom 03:29 PM 06-14-2012
I much prefer the babies and 2 year olds. The 4 and 5 year olds are much harder, they are far more complicated and have higher expectations for entertainment! The babies are absolutely delightful and watching them reach milestones and develop more and more personality is just too much fun!
Meyou 03:41 AM 06-15-2012
In the last 6 months I went from a 4 year old group to an under 2 group due to turnover and some internal changes. While the babies are soooo much more work physically I find my days much less stressful and there is very little drama.
2ndFamilyDC 05:53 AM 06-15-2012
I so agree. I have wanted to take only those under the age of 3 for a while now. But it is so hard when you already have 3 & 4 YO's. Unless I can replace them quickly, which around here is not so easy.
Countrygal 11:11 AM 06-15-2012
I have considered it, as I find myself sometimes frustrated with the behavior of the 3-5yo set. It's so much different than when I did daycare 20 years ago. For several reasons. 1) expectations have changed. Children are definitely raised differently
2) I'm coming from a much older generation. I am not only "old school" in my thinking, but I was raised when "old school" was the way everyone was raised! Even my children were raised "old school" and there were plenty of families who agreed (agricultural area). Now, almost noone is old-fashioned in their view of child raising.

I recently lost two who are going to stay home for a year before the older starts school. I'm thrilled for them. I tossed around the idea of doing younger, but I think I'll just leave it open. I so love to teach the preschool agers! It's the behaviors I have trouble with.
Country Kids 01:24 PM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I have considered it, as I find myself sometimes frustrated with the behavior of the 3-5yo set. It's so much different than when I did daycare 20 years ago. For several reasons. 1) expectations have changed. Children are definitely raised differently
2) I'm coming from a much older generation. I am not only "old school" in my thinking, but I was raised when "old school" was the way everyone was raised! Even my children were raised "old school" and there were plenty of families who agreed (agricultural area). Now, almost noone is old-fashioned in their view of child raising.

I recently lost two who are going to stay home for a year before the older starts school. I'm thrilled for them. I tossed around the idea of doing younger, but I think I'll just leave it open. I so love to teach the preschool agers! It's the behaviors I have trouble with.
Thats me! I love, love, love to teach them but in the last 5 years behaviors have changed so much. I really, really hate retraining each and every day with behaviors.
boysx5 04:31 PM 06-15-2012
I love two and under and soon that is all I will have since they all go to school early now
Lyss 07:08 PM 06-15-2012
School aged drive me crazy! Lol! I only take under 4, right now all my kids are under 2.5yrs which can be very exhausting some days but I prefer the exhaustion from this age over school age exhaustion!
athomemommy 05:24 AM 06-18-2012
Okay so those of you that don't take over 4. How did you word it?
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 06-18-2012
My contract says I only serve children between the ages of 12 months to Kindergarten entrance.

If you mean how do you tell parents you will no longer be taking kids over the age of 4 I would say something like,

"Dear Parent;

In order to serve the children in my care in a more devlopmentally appropriate manner, I will be downsizing the age group that I will be caring for.

As of June XX, 2012, I will now be offering services to children age 6 weeks to 4 years old only.

Thank you,

Provider"

Tags:age groups, infants
Reply Up