Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Non-Sleeping 3yo
DBug 11:58 AM 06-18-2012
I have a just-turned 3yo dcb who has not slept (except on very rare occasions) for quite some time now, probably over a year. He doesn't take naps at home either.

My deal has always been that they don't have to sleep but they do have to stay on their cot and be quiet. This kid is never quiet though and the noise can wake up the other kids. I've tried giving him books and small toys, and they end up getting torn up, thrown or bashed around. I've tried putting him in a high chair with small toys, but they also get thrown. I don't want him at the table colouring or anything like that because he prefers to colour ON my table instead. And, I need him to be somewhere safe (ie not in my kitchen with access to the cupboards, and not with the other nappers with access to them) so that I can get the cleaning done. I have tried him in a pnp in another room, and that worked for awhile, but he started climbing out and sneaking around the house.

I'm getting to the point where I just want to let him go, but he's been with me since he was a baby and he only has another year here (til he hits jr. kindergarten).

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there anything I can do or something else I can try?? Or should I just let him go ... ?
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 06-18-2012
Is he a mture 3 year old or niot so much? I guess I am kind of confused by some of your statements. He doesn't and hasn't napped in a while yet you still use a high chair and a PNP for him? That seems kind of old for either of those two things.

I think he is still young enough to HAVE to lie down quietly and if he cna't be quiet (if he doesn't sleep) then he needs to have consequences such as a loss of an activity and or priviledge for his negative behaviors.

If he continues to be too disruptive, I wouldn't hesitate to term if that is the only way to keep nap time quiet and under control......

No matter how long he has been with me, I won't allow one child to dictate the environment for everyone else.
DBug 12:24 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is he a mture 3 year old or niot so much? I guess I am kind of confused by some of your statements. He doesn't and hasn't napped in a while yet you still use a high chair and a PNP for him? That seems kind of old for either of those two things.
Sorry -- he's 3 years and 1 month, but he's tiny (smaller than my 2yo dcg). Small enough to fit in "baby-holders" but too smart to stay in them .

He sits on a regular kitchen chair at meal/snack time and uses an open cup for eating, so I only use the high chair for "safe" containment during naptime so that I can clean, use the bathroom, etc.

Hope that helps!
DBug 12:27 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If he continues to be too disruptive, I wouldn't hesitate to term if that is the only way to keep nap time quiet and under control......

No matter how long he has been with me, I won't allow one child to dictate the environment for everyone else.
Okay, that pov definitely helps with the decision ... Thank you!
Blackcat31 01:06 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by DBug:
Sorry -- he's 3 years and 1 month, but he's tiny (smaller than my 2yo dcg). Small enough to fit in "baby-holders" but too smart to stay in them .

He sits on a regular kitchen chair at meal/snack time and uses an open cup for eating, so I only use the high chair for "safe" containment during naptime so that I can clean, use the bathroom, etc.

Hope that helps!
Ok...gotcha...Just wanted to double check with you on that.

Originally Posted by DBug:
Okay, that pov definitely helps with the decision ... Thank you!
I know that isn't very reassuring but seriously one kid cannot be allowed to ruin it for you and all the other kids. It just is NOT worth it in any scenario.

I would have a chat with mom and dad and see what they think and if they have any ideas on how to get him to listen and comply. Put a sticker on your calendar for a certain time period and if there is no imporvement within that time, stop wasting your time and and the risk of other kids learning his bad behavior and let him go.

It is hard, but seriously YOU need the rest/quiet time as well as the kiddos do! The ones you do have that nap deserve to have a quiet non-disruptive environment in which to nap.
jojosmommy 08:43 AM 06-19-2012
Teach him the rules of naptime just like you would teach him the rules for playtime. Use whatever discipline method you use during the rest of the day. Consistency is key. If you have been letting him decide if he and his friends nap he knows who is the real boss. Set the limit then enforce it. He will get the point that rest time is quiet for EVERYONE.
Tags:3 year old, won't sleep
Reply Up