Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Considering Leaving For Benefits
logged out 10:48 AM 09-17-2012
Considering leaving daycare to get a job with benefits. I am qualified for many govt jobs and every other month or so I consider leaving for benefits?

Does everyoneon here get benefits from their spouses? If not how do you afford medical, dental,life ins, retirement,long term care etc? These things are pricing me out of this business.

I would have to pay for my own kids to be in daycare but even still, thepay and benefitsof other jobs is farmore than I can make within my ratio.
cheerfuldom 10:55 AM 09-17-2012
I have benefits thru my spouse. I dont know how I could do this otherwise.
rhymia1 11:02 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Me too. I've always said this is not a job I could do without my husband's very well paying job with excellant benefits. I just could not make enough to take care of health, retirement, etc.
Crazy8 11:02 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
same here - I don't think I ever would have considered this job/career if we didn't have benefits thru DH's job. I even have a little extra taken out of his check for taxes so it helps cover me at the end of the year!
Blackcat31 12:28 PM 09-17-2012
My DH and I are both self-employed.

We purchase our health care insurance just like you would auto insurance (through an agency). It costs us ALOT but my DH is also a type 1 diabetic who requires hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of medical supplies/visits each year.

We NEVER get taxes back and although we have a plan for retirement, we don't really have any type of pension or nest egg going on so basically we will both be working until we die!.....LOL! Hopefully, my DD went into geriatric nursing for a reason and will be our caretaker in our golden years.

We have no paid time off or paid vacations that accure other than what I build into my contract each year.

I have thought about quitting for the benefits before as well but somehow being my own boss has enough perks right now that I can't see it as something I want to do at this time.

Thankfully my DH and I have worked hard through the years and paid off as many things (house, vehicle etc) as possible and don't have to worry about too much other than our day to day living expenses.
bluemoose_mom 01:07 PM 09-17-2012
Benefits are nice, but...well, so is being able to stay home with my daughter and being my own boss.

I'm with blackcat, both my DH and I are self employed. We do not have medical or life insurance (DD does have medical, which we only pay about 130 for a month). We do have a nest egg set aside, but we've also keep as our debt otherwise as little as possible. We do have to worry about more than our day to day living, but very little besides that.

I agree, I do not know if I could do this without my DH's well paid for job. His income helps me a lot, not really in my month to month expenses, but without my job, our nest egg would not be able to grow, and his left over income would decrease, as more would be put into savings. Not to mention start up costs. I would not have been able to open if he had a different job.

Really, it's up to your individual factors. You have to decide what is best for you family. That's all you can do. Good luck.
itlw8 01:11 PM 09-17-2012
I do have my health ins through my dh but he is 4 years older than I am. He plans to retire younger than I would like. All we can do is pay off everything we can . I may have to take a job to pay for ins in the future but for now we are doing fine

more worrisome to me is if his health fails could I make it one what we have saved without his SS
NiNi.R. 01:35 PM 09-17-2012
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job!...BUT I always say when my kids are in school I would love to work at a library or something like that. I currently get benefits through my husband. They are very good benefits but we could save a lot of money if I had a job with a provided benefit package.

Most recently a town about 15 mins away had a position open at their local library. I considered applying for it for the benefits. It seemed so perfect! But if offered the job there were to many other factors that stood in the way. We'd need a 2nd vehicle, daycare for my two kids, and transportation to and from my daughter's preschool 3 days a week. It's just not worth it right now until my son (18 months) heads off to Kindergarten.
spud912 01:57 PM 09-17-2012
My husband works for the government, so we have pretty good benefits. The whole family is covered for medical, dental, vision and life insurance. He receives nearly 4 weeks of paid vacation and 1 1/2 weeks of paid sick time per year. My husband is also signed up for short and long term disability and a 20-year pension plan. The main reasons I plan on going back to the workforce in the future (once the children go to school) is for the security that comes with receiving paid vacations/sick time, short term disability and retirement. I cringe when I think of a possible injury and how it would currently affect my income.
daycarediva 03:15 PM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by bluemoose_mom:
Benefits are nice, but...well, so is being able to stay home with my daughter and being my own boss.

I'm with blackcat, both my DH and I are self employed. We do not have medical or life insurance (DD does have medical, which we only pay about 130 for a month). We do have a nest egg set aside, but we've also keep as our debt otherwise as little as possible. We do have to worry about more than our day to day living, but very little besides that.

I agree, I do not know if I could do this without my DH's well paid for job. His income helps me a lot, not really in my month to month expenses, but without my job, our nest egg would not be able to grow, and his left over income would decrease, as more would be put into savings. Not to mention start up costs. I would not have been able to open if he had a different job.

Really, it's up to your individual factors. You have to decide what is best for you family. That's all you can do. Good luck.
^ this except my ins for the kids is much more expensive.

I also have AFLAC.
BABYLUVER 09:44 PM 09-17-2012
I have EXCELLENT benefits thru work, now and my husband does too.

If you love what you do, though, sometimes, you can benefit by getting a group insurance plan under your business name. In my state, my hubby and I both were on the license....this meant that we could open a group policy since there were 2 or more "employees" at a discount. See if your state allows that? Its different for everyone though, so I don't want to guarantee my experience will be yours.
Unregistered 07:13 AM 09-18-2012
We have looked the world over for insurance, prices, discounts etc.

We currently pay over 560 a month for 3 of us, my dh has no insurance because his is another 300 a month which we can not afford. Additionally because of a 5000 deductable we reach every year we pay another 416 a month in expenses to the clinic.

I charge 130 a week per kid and because of my own kids and ratios, and low enrollments for the last year I can not get more than 4 paying kids. This means I make 520 a week, 2080 a month. This means if we include my hubs on the ins we pay 1276 or 61% of my income just on medical. That doesnt include dental, vision, or any form of life insurance. Or the cost of a sub or closing when Iwant days off or when my kids are sick. And I havent even begun to mention retirement.
Reply Up