Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Unlicensed?
butterfly 08:45 AM 03-27-2013
For those of you that are unlicensed (legally), why did you choose to remain unlicensed? Have you had any complaints either heard from potential clients or complaints filed against you?

With the new regulations proposed in my state, I'm seriously considering letting my license expire. I'm just so tired of the paperwork, policing immunization records, dealing with all the politics of having a license that doesn't really seem to better the care of these children.

Just trying to weigh the pros and cons, I guess...

Thank you!!
Lilbutterflie 08:52 AM 03-27-2013
I am legally unlicensed, but in my state- you have to at least be Listed with the state to watch ANY children legally. So, every year I have to renew to be Listed, and they run a background check on all the adults in the house. I am only allowed to watch 3 unrelated children.

I have never had any complaints against me, I have never had any problems filling my spots, and I have never had a potential customer tell me that they don't want to interview because I am not licensed.
littlemissmuffet 08:53 AM 03-27-2013
I am legally unlicensed because I don't want the government telling me how to run MY business. I don't want the added stress of paperwork, etc as you mentioned. I also have no desire to take to take on subsidized families.

I have had no complaints filed against me.

All of my clients over the years have asked if I was licensed and I have just told them no, and haven't had anyone pass me up as a result.
NeedaVaca 08:55 AM 03-27-2013
I am legally unlicensed and can only care for 5 children. I would never want more than that so I really didn't see the point. I place ads and fill my spots easily. I still pay taxes and run my daycare in a safe, professional manner.
daycare123 08:59 AM 03-27-2013
I am legally unlicensed. can have 5 kids counting my own. I chose not to be licensed as I don't want to take state assistance. I have had no problems filling my spots. I also pay taxes and carry liability ins. and follow all the same rules as a licensed person has to.
just_peachy 09:04 AM 03-27-2013
I am legally unlicensed, but working on the licensing process. With my 3 kids, I can only watch 3 more unlicensed. I'd like to get to 4 extra a day. But I'm also taking my time, because... just ugh. I agree with those of you who disagree with the government's micro-management. I am disgusted at the immunization requests. I think some of the inspection aspects are ridiculous. (Must have a container with a lid marked "medications" in the fridge... even if there are no medications in it. )

It's kind of a joke to me.

Also, I worry that I will get drop-in inspections when my house is a mess and that is my biggest paranoia. Sometimes things get messy. I freak out that I'll get in trouble for "tripping hazards" or whatever. I've always been nervous about people in power abusing it. I mean, I read on here about some inspectors. They are awesome, encouraging, understanding. Then I read about others... they write up for things that have been OK'd before, or nit-pick, etc. It's so subjective. If they sent in robot droids, ones that didn't have bad days, or make snap judgements, etc. I'd feel a lot better!

I decided that after we get our yard re-done, and replace my carpet with laminate, I'll go through with the inspection. (My two biggest insecurities.) Until then, I've been taking the classes just because.
AfterSchoolMom 09:17 AM 03-27-2013
I am legally unlicensed. I'm allowed to have 5 children under the age of 12 other than my own. I choose to remain unlicensed because I refuse to allow any outside entity to tell me what I may and may not do in my own house and property, especially after hours when there are no DCK's here. I do have a background check that I paid for myself and will gladly show anyone who asks. I also pay taxes and I'm CPR certified.

To my knowledge, I've never lost business because of it. I don't think the quality of care that I give is any less because I don't have a license.
butterfly 11:25 AM 03-27-2013
Thank you for the replies! I've got a year to ponder it until my license is up for renewal.

It would be nice to have a few less visits a year. It seems like everyday I have someone else in my home... between children's therapy, social worker visits, food program, licensing, it's a revolving door here. It'd be so nice to go about our day without all the interruptions.
snbauser 11:30 AM 03-27-2013
I wish I could be unlicensed but here we can only have 2 kids not related to us unless we are licensed.
nsnavely 11:44 AM 03-27-2013
I have been licensed for about 10 yrs through the military. I recently stopped because the military moved us. I am looking to start back up as an un-licensed provider. I have a very safe home and plan to do things just as I would if I was licensed. I only want 3 kiddos anyways and the state here says I can legally care for 3 un-related children not including my own. I agree, I do not like being told how to run my business, the paperowrk sucks, and some of the rules make me crazy! LOL It would be so nice to just go about my day and not worry if an inspector was coming in or USDA would freak out if we were out for lunch and I forgot to call. I would still keep up my CPR and first aid training and keep everything child proofed..nothing would change really, except I feel I would have more freedom. I have advertised on Craigslist and care.com..It's only been about a week, but I can't seem to find clients ): There are some positives to being military licensed. #1 they advertise for you and #2 you get military families, so if a parent gives you a hard time about paying you can go to their first sergeant and get them in trouble LOL The ONLY reason I chose not to get licensed really is because I live off base and the military says I HAVE to be state licensed as well..which sucks because that;s more inspections, more paperowrk etc ): How the heck do you guys stay full?? I am going crazy!!
MamaBearCanada 11:56 AM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I am legally unlicensed because I don't want the government telling me how to run MY business. I don't want the added stress of paperwork, etc as you mentioned. I also have no desire to take to take on subsidized families.

I have had no complaints filed against me.

All of my clients over the years have asked if I was licensed and I have just told them no, and haven't had anyone pass me up as a result.
This.

Except no-one has ever asked if I'm licensed. Except for large centers most people aren't here. I pay taxes, give receipts, get my own criminal checks done etc.
youretooloud 12:05 PM 03-27-2013
It's actually insanely hard to be licensed here. They make so it's easier, cheaper and more efficient to be regulated only. I have no idea why.

When I meet someone who is licensed, I wonder "Why on earth would you put yourself through that?"
Kelly 12:29 PM 03-27-2013
I am legally unlicensed too. I can only watch 3 children (my own kids live with me but are grown) but that is really enough for me. I just don't feel like jumping through all the hoops the state requires but I do try to meet all the state standards. In Illinois legally unlicensed providers can receive state assistance and I'm going through the process to do so for one of my DCMs. (I didn't plan to but she is a great mom, working hard and going to school so I want to support her & she agreed to pay what the state doesn't cover.)

I can also get on the food program if I have at least 1 child receiving state assistance but I don't think I'm going to right now. My family is grain-free and the DCKs pretty much eat what we do so I wouldn't meet all the food program requirements. And since only one of my DCKs is full-time It doesn't seem like it would be worth the trouble.
LK5kids 12:35 PM 03-27-2013
I would love to stay unlicensed, but then I can only take 3 that are not related to me. Once I am licensed I'll be able to care for 8. I really don't want to deal with the state and don't have a burning desire to take families on state aid.
MissSarah 03:26 PM 03-27-2013
I'm legally unlicensed. I haven't gotten licensed yet because it is VERY time consuming and I haven't finished the schooling yet that I would have to do. The ONLY reason I want to get my license is because right now I can only take 2 kids that aren't related to me and I would like to take 1-2 more kids.
blandino 05:56 PM 03-27-2013
I would love to be legally unlicensed for all the reasons listed above and more. But in Oklahoma, there is no option to be legally unlicensed. Someone watching even 1 child (who isn't a relative) has to be licensed. It is ridiculous.
Tags:unlicensed
Reply Up