Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teaching Preschoolers to Read
jenboo 10:10 AM 01-13-2014
One DCM was talking to me about how she is teaching her DCG to read at home. She asked if I was doing that here. I said that we learn about letter sounds but I don't really do phonics with them. I told her that it isn't something I am familiar with when it comes to teaching. She told me that it is easy and I can look up all the rules. She continues saying that If I work on it with DCG while she is here, then she can be reading short books in a couple weeks. DCG is 5 and going to kindergarten in fall.

Here is my opinion:
1. I have no idea how to properly teach all the phonics rules. I looked it up last night but I still do not understand how to teach silent e, short vs long vowel and so forth.
2. I advertise saying that I do not do worksheets, etc. We do projects based on the children's interests. I feel that teaching her phonics doesn't really fit in with my program.
3. If DCG learns how to read before kindergarten...wont she get bored in school when all the other kids are learning the basics of reading?? (correct me if im wrong..just how I feel).
4. DCG is ready for kindergarten in my opinion and thats what I tell parents I focus on..getting them ready for kindergarten, not teaching them kindergarten.

DCG only comes 3 days a week. I will continue going over letter sounds, rhyming words, and sounds out short words but im not comfortable teaching more than that. And we would only be doing about 15 min a day because I need to do more activities that can be adapted for a wider age range.

Do you think this is sufficient for preschool?? Please tell me what you think.
Shell 10:16 AM 01-13-2014
I 'm a former Kindergarten teacher that knows how to teach this stuff, but, no way should she expect you to do this!!! It 's great when kids can read early, but she can do that at home, and you keep on doing what you typically do. Letter sounds, recognition is all appropriate stuff for her age -anything extra is not something you should have to do Imo.
Annalee 10:23 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
I 'm a former Kindergarten teacher that knows how to teach this stuff, but, no way should she expect you to do this!!! It 's great when kids can read early, but she can do that at home, and you keep on doing what you typically do. Letter sounds, recognition is all appropriate stuff for her age -anything extra is not something you should have to do Imo.
Kindergarten teachers here are always telling providers what you are saying along with teaching social skills. They also tell us that if a child can't get along with others or follow directions first, they will have trouble learning in a school setting. It is the parents along with the QRIS/Federal-State-guidelines that are creeping up in our early childhood system wanting kids to be IT-TECH robots rather than kids that know how to function with daily life skills.
EchoMom 10:26 AM 01-13-2014
I also am a former kindergarten teacher. Silent e and long short vowel sounds
ds are not something even taught until near the end of the K year and really is n more for first grade. In K they work on phonics, dolch sight words, and reading both predictable books and desirable books. They sound out words at a majority the CVC words meaning consonant vowel consonant. Ex: cat dog run

But again these are K standards not pre k standards. PreK standards are reading behaviors, concept print, meaning they know how to hold a book turn pages recognize words from pictures etc.

The parent is expecting too much from you and trying to get you to do her job and in fact the job of a certified masters degrees kindergarten teacher.
Msdunny 10:33 AM 01-13-2014
I don't know about you, but I am not sure how I would fit that type of teaching into my day (not that I teach at all - I am all about play-based learning). I have 2 1 yr. olds, 2 2 yr. olds, and 2 3 yr.olds. Can you imaging trying to work one on one with the noise and distractions of the others? I homeschooled my children, and honestly, if this mom works with her child 15-20 minutes at home each night, the child will be getting all she can really handle in a day right now anyway.

Tell her, "No way, no how!" But use your manners!
cheerfuldom 10:42 AM 01-13-2014
Just stick with what you have already said. Just because a parent asks for something special, does not mean you have to say yes. and dont feel guilty about that either. If she wants a full preschool curriculum with a strong emphasis on traditional academics, she needs to go to another place and pay for that service. you already told her you dont provide that.
jenboo 11:27 AM 01-13-2014
Ok great! Thanks everyone!! I feel like I already do a lot:
-letters
-letter sounds
-sounding out small words like cat, dog, hat etc
and doing all this with creative activities instead of straight forward instruction and worksheets.
AND i do all this while watching/entertaining toddlers!
I have a bachelors degree in child and family development, not multiple subject teaching for a reason haha.

DCG is also lacking a lot in social type skills:
-following directions
-bossing kids around
-lying
-rude/talking back
-makes excuses for everything! (i cant clean up because the dr told me i will get a stomachache)

I think ill let mom know that ill continue with what im doing and focus more on social skills and she can keep the phonics/reading at home

Thanks for the encouragement!!
NeedaVaca 11:27 AM 01-13-2014
I would say "That's great that you are working on how to read with her! Between what I teach the kids and what you are working on she will be in great shape for Kindergarten"
Starburst 07:19 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Ok great! Thanks everyone!! I feel like I already do a lot:
-letters
-letter sounds
-sounding out small words like cat, dog, hat etc
and doing all this with creative activities instead of straight forward instruction and worksheets.
AND i do all this while watching/entertaining toddlers!
I have a bachelors degree in child and family development, not multiple subject teaching for a reason haha.

DCG is also lacking a lot in social type skills:
-following directions
-bossing kids around
-lying
-rude/talking back
-makes excuses for everything! (i cant clean up because the dr told me i will get a stomachache)

I think ill let mom know that ill continue with what im doing and focus more on social skills and she can keep the phonics/reading at home
Those (bolded) are what parents should realize are bigger issues for this age group and kinder prep. I did student teaching last semester for both a (church based) preschool class and a (public) kindergarten class and there were preschoolers who were well advanced emotionally and socially, I witnessed one 3 year old boy gave up his swing when he saw another little (4.5 Y/O) boy sitting on the bench waiting without prompting. And there were some kindergarteners I've observed who were nowhere near ready for kindergarten emotionally or socially (deficiency of directions/rules and clinging for attention instead of doing work). Some were even behind academically, due to little support/practice at home.
nannyde 03:37 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
She's GOOD. Real GOOD

Well you have to clean up Little Missy because MY Doctor told me that if you didn't "I" would get a stomachache. I don't want a stomachache so get ta cleanin.
melilley 06:59 AM 01-14-2014
Ugh, I can't stand when parents know what type of daycare you run and then try to change what/how you do things or suggest things like this!

I have one dcm who expected her 2.5 year old know things that a 5 yo. would know. She knew upon signing up with me that I am play based and after about a month or so of dcb starting, dcm started saying things and bringing things for dcb to do. It was a whole bag of stuff that he either didn't want to do or I had similar things (apparently weren't good enough). It was so annoying, but allowed her to do it. I have the younger bro. and if she gets like that when he's older, I am definitely going to say something!

I think what you are doing is great! We don't tell them how to do their jobs!

I have a lot of teacher friends and the number one thing they complain about in kindergartners is their lack of social skills!
harperluu 07:58 AM 01-14-2014
If a child is ready, I have introduced high frequency words through matching games and spending a few minutes each day reading a book that contains lots of high frequency words. Other than that, I would continue doing what you are doing.
Tags:phonics, reading
Reply Up