Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Making Learning-to-Read Fun?
TickleMonster 06:20 PM 06-08-2014
We have a 6 year old dcg that we are caring for, for the summer. She will be in the 1st grade next year and contrary to her parents words, she is not as advanced scholastically as they think. She is very good at math which is great but her reading and writing skills are almost nonexistent. She is fairly eager to learn and likes to write some but is just not into reading. We have asked her what she is interested in and then went to the public library and checked out easy-to-read books about her favorite subjects. Does anyone else have ideas on how we can make reading (and/or writing) fun for her?
midaycare 08:26 PM 06-08-2014
Start journal writing after reading a book. Start with pictures, then graduate to words. Don't worry about spelling. Work on sight words. Try the pigeon books - kids love those!
TickleMonster 05:17 AM 06-09-2014
She does write and draw in a journal that she keeps here. Hmmmm never heard of the pigeon books. I will have to look that up. Thanks!
Laurel 09:15 AM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by TickleMonster:
We have a 6 year old dcg that we are caring for, for the summer. She will be in the 1st grade next year and contrary to her parents words, she is not as advanced scholastically as they think. She is very good at math which is great but her reading and writing skills are almost nonexistent. She is fairly eager to learn and likes to write some but is just not into reading. We have asked her what she is interested in and then went to the public library and checked out easy-to-read books about her favorite subjects. Does anyone else have ideas on how we can make reading (and/or writing) fun for her?
I wonder if she is too old for abcmouse.com. I can't remember what age that goes up to but they have books to read that, to me, some 6 years olds even couldn't read yet. I got it for free being a daycare. I just put in my license number.

My grandson adores it and can't wait to get on.

Laurel
Laurel 09:22 AM 06-09-2014
I just checked it out and the highest level looks fine for first grade. She may even be a level or two lower than that depending on her abilities. Kids just love it! I love it, lol.

Laurel
Shell 09:58 AM 06-09-2014
Agree with the journal and picking up books that are of interest, along with sight word cards, games like sight word bingo. As a former K teacher, I would be a little concerned that she might need a tutor. Idk what other ages you care for, but I would have a hard time juggling this and the other kids. Are you an academic program?
nothingwithoutjoy 10:07 AM 06-09-2014
Little kids see big kids as readers, whether they're great at it or not. How about pulling out all your best board books with just a few words per page and asking her to read to the littles while you make lunch or clean up or something? She'll feel like a helper, they'll ooh and ah that she can read and give her confidence, and she'll get practice. I have a 1st grader (now headed to 2nd) who is a struggling reader. None of the little kids know that, and they love to have her read to them.
Tags:reading, sa kids
Reply Up