Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas for Keeping Toddler From Opening Door?
Unregistered 05:21 PM 04-01-2010
We have a toddler who has a new pre-occupation with opening the front door and running outside. Any ideas what we can do? I don't think we're allowed to lock the doors, but the little girl is constantly running to the front door and opening it. Most of the time she opens it and runs before we can catch her. We're not very close to the road, thankfully, so we know she won't run out into the street, but it's still dangerous. It's just a good thing there's two adults there most of the time, so one of us can run outside right behind her and bring her back in. She loves it, like it's a game. She'll open the door and grin at us before darting out. Her mom knows about it, and is working with her also, trying to teach her not to open it. So far this is a fun new game that she doesn't seem to be forgetting about anytime soon! We give her a LOT of positive attention in the appropriate times, so it's not that she just needs the extra. It's her age, I figure, but dangerous all the same. We need some ideas if you have any
melskids 02:59 AM 04-02-2010
i have a pond on my property, and as an extra safety precaution, my licensor suggested i put alarms on my doors to alert me everytime they are opened. they are very loud and scare the beegees outta everyone. this may be enough to scare her when she opens the door, i know it does my kids. the older ones expect it now, but the little ones are very unsure when they hear it. i got them at lowe's for $20 a piece, and after spending $60 (3 doors) i then found them at $tree for a buck.....ugh!

i'm not big on time outs, but this may be a case where she needs to learn it is not O.K. to do this. if she is an older toddler, i would def. have her sit, maybe even miss a fun activitiy. if she is a younger toddler, a pack and play would become her new best friend
Daycare Mommy 04:27 AM 04-02-2010
What about those cheapie doorknob covers? Have you tried those yet?
mac60 04:36 AM 04-02-2010
I would definately be locking my inside door....or else the screen door if there is one. Put a note on the front door that says "Please knock and we will be right there", this child needs some major discipline. You don't say exactly how old she is, but if she is old enough to do what she is doing, then she is old enough for the consequences. Why would you NOT be disciplining her on this. Also, I would consider getting an enclose play area (can be purchased for around $50) for her to spend her time in. That is what those are made for, to keep young children safe.

Mels idea on the door alarms is good, but then what happens if someone comes in from outside, does it still go off. I would take care of the problem--the girl---before I took measures to put up alarms......kids need to learn to listen and learn their boundries.

I have hung bells from my back door before when the lock broke. Not for my dc kids, just so if night someone opened it I would hear it.
Daycare Mommy 04:50 AM 04-02-2010
Here's a link to some on amazon. I used ones like these for years and they do the trick. Note though that I did not depend on them to keep the door shut. They will figure out how to pop them off eventually. It's just to slow them down enough so you can catch them and do whatever it is you do to discourage bad behavior.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Cross...0208095&sr=8-2
momma2girls 06:13 AM 04-02-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
What about those cheapie doorknob covers? Have you tried those yet?
Yes, this is what I was going to suggest.
Childminder 08:22 AM 04-02-2010
Hook and eye on the screen. You can lock your front door. It would be unsafe not to.

I have a door alarm on my door that notifies me of any entry/exit. Got it at Lowes. Parents have gotten them for their little escapees especially if the live in apartments for the balcony doorwalls/windows.
Daycare Mommy 10:30 AM 04-02-2010
I totally agree that the door SHOULD be locked for safety, but isn't it against licensing regs in some places? I could swear I've heard that before...
Tags:door, door lock
Reply Up