Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Refund From Daycare
sadie 07:24 AM 04-20-2010
hi, i recently enrolled my 2yr old in a home based daycare which required me to make a deposit of 200 dollars plus 100 the day my child started daycare .Unfortunately she only attended that daycare for 1 week because i don't think she was getting the care she needed she was always super hungry when she got home.I called the provider to find out if my child was eating and she said that it was irritating that i would ask a question like that ,i nicely replied well i am just concerned and she goes like every parent is concerned about ther child but she doe'snt have parents calling her to ask questions about there children.i felt really bad cause i think she was very rude anyway after i picked up my child i told her that we will not be returning to the day care and i would like a refund since i already payed for the week she attended and she said she can't give back a refund is there anyway that i can try to get this money back cause i am not sending my child there anymore
mac60 07:44 AM 04-20-2010
Well, most deposits are not refundable, what did the policy say?
As far as what you asked, I too would be a little upset if someone called after hours and asked if their child was eating, basically accusing me of not feeding her and that is why she is hungry when she gets home. Sounds like it is your choice of not returning, I probably wouldn't refund the money either, especially when I knew I was offering the child well balanced healthy foods.
kitkat 11:43 AM 04-20-2010
Your policy/contract should tell you what the termination policy is and how any deposits are handled. If you don't have a contract or anything in writing, I'm guessing you could possibly go to small claims if you really wanted to. I'm not a lawyer or anything, so I'm just giving you my opinion

I'm sorry to hear the provider was irritated that you were asking if your daughter was eating. I'm not sure why that would be offensive. Your daughter may have been nervous about the new environment and wasn't eating much when in the provider's care, which would make her starving when she came home. If she wasn't eating well, the provider should have mentioned it to you at pick up. Hope you are able to find a better fit for your daughter.
jen 11:52 AM 04-20-2010
I am really surprised by your providers response. I think more surprised that the two of you hadn't been discussing her day at pick up each night! New daycare is a big transition and your provider should have been keeping you informed on how that transition was going.

I am just guessing here...but does your contract require that you provide notice before leaving? If so, getting your deposit back may be difficult...it really will depend on the wording the contract.

Just curious...did you check this providers references? Were they current parents?
DBug 12:39 PM 04-20-2010
This provider sounds like trouble. She should have been tracking (either on paper or mentally) what your little one was eating or not eating. She should not have become defensive when you called. You have every right to know what your child was eating. I try my best to brief parents quickly at the end of the day (in addition to the communication log I keep for each child), but I know that it can get busy, and things may not get discussed. For that reason, I would have no problem with a worried parent contacting me to check on how their child had been doing that day or week.

That all said, whether you get your money back or not, totally depends on what you signed. But regardless of the paperwork, I'm betting this provider will make it as difficult as possible to get any refund. You may just have to chalk this one up as experience and move on. It's providers like this that make the rest of us look bad
TGT09 01:04 PM 04-20-2010
I agree a little with both sides.

I feel that it's just as much your responsibility, as a parent to ask, as much as it is a responsibility of ours to offer. However, after the first day or two of her being starving at home, I would have asked at pick-up..."has she been eating ok"?

However, with that being said...the provider overreacted. It's your child and of course you would be worried. I will let you know though that most providers do not take kindly to having phone calls in the evening during what they consider their family time. I would discuss this with your next provider on how she feels about that.

I always tell my new parents if their child hasn't eaten well that day. Definitely when they are in a new environment, they aren't going to eat much because it's foreign. Maybe the provider fixes something different than the way you do. Or, maybe she's completely enthralled by other kids while eating.

I would chalk this up to a learning experience and as much as it stinks, you will probably not be getting your money back.
[email protected] 01:21 PM 04-20-2010
I wouldnt return the deposit. That is used for the last two weeks in care or the term period wether or not child is brought for care in my handbook. If I termed you,.. I would give you two weeks notice, if you termed me, I require the same,.. no matter if your there a day or 3 years.
Daycare Mommy 02:14 PM 04-20-2010
I have a trial period where if either party isn't happy within the first 2 weeks, I'll prorate a refund for any remaining unused days. After that it's 2 weeks pay or 2 weeks notice required at termination. Next time I'd find a place that is willing to do a trial with you.. and get it in writing. Sorry to hear about the deposit and good luck finding a new provider.
originalkat 03:39 PM 04-20-2010
I do not like how this provider responded. I do not LOVE it when parents call after hours. But, especially at first I have had parents who do. I think your question is valid and I have been asked this same question many times before. I dont see why she should be defensive about it.

As far as getting your money back...you will need to refer to your contract agreement. I have a 2-week trial period where I will refund money. But if she did not have that then you may be out of luck.
Former Teacher 04:08 PM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by sadie:
hi, i recently enrolled my 2yr old in a home based daycare which required me to make a deposit of 200 dollars plus 100 the day my child started daycare .Unfortunately she only attended that daycare for 1 week because i don't think she was getting the care she needed she was always super hungry when she got home.I called the provider to find out if my child was eating and she said that it was irritating that i would ask a question like that ,i nicely replied well i am just concerned and she goes like every parent is concerned about ther child but she doe'snt have parents calling her to ask questions about there children.i felt really bad cause i think she was very rude anyway after i picked up my child i told her that we will not be returning to the day care and i would like a refund since i already payed for the week she attended and she said she can't give back a refund is there anyway that i can try to get this money back cause i am not sending my child there anymore
I could be wrong but I don't see where it says that Sadie called the provider after hours. It could be that the provider closes at 5:30 and Sadie picked up her daughter say at 4:00. Then again maybe to the providers on this board after hours means after the child has been picked up

On the providers end: no she should not refund any money. A deposit was paid for holding the child's spot.

On the parents end: I am sorry Sadie but you shouldn't get a refund. As long as you finished out your end, I don't see any reason why the provider should refund you. Like Judge Judy always says: "just because you eat the whole meal and then decide you didn't like it doesn't mean you get your money back!"

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth
grandmom 07:09 PM 04-20-2010
1. There would be no refund from me. That's just my policy.

2. My policy is that I provide the required meals, and amounts. If a child chooses not to eat, they go home hungry. If a child chooses to not eat lunch, they don't get extra helpings of snack, they go home hungry. And even if they do eat what I serve, I lovingly, tell parents and children: My #2 job is to send them home hungry - so they will sit at the table and eat dinner with their mom and dad.

It could be that your call was the 3rd that evening from parents, or that her husband just yelled at her, or the dog just pooped on the carpet. Not to minimzie her reaction to your question, but to put some perspective on it.

BTW, when I don't want to talk to customers after hours, I don't answer the phone. That's what the machine is for.
momofboys 06:29 AM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by sadie:
Most daycares require a 2 week notice. You would not get a refund from me. I personally fill out a daily log for each parent so they know what their child has eaten each day, when their diaper was changed, how long they napped, etc. I take it your provider did not provide this service? I also make it a point to let a parent know if their child was acting out of character. However since your child was in a new environment it seems fairly normal to me that he/she may not eat as much as they normally would, after all they are making an adjustment to getting used to the provider's schedule & the new routine. I don't mind getting a call from a client after hours; however, it would be best if it was talked about during working hours. I think it is ridiculous to expect a refund though.
newtoeverything 06:44 AM 04-21-2010
I have a 2 week trial period...You can cancel and I can terminate you during that 2 weeks. I would return the last week to you...as long as it was within my 2 week trial period....
Unregistered 05:26 PM 11-08-2011
I think that is the most ridiculous thing! You pulled your child out of care because she was hungry after she was left in a play environment to run around and have fun all day?children eat when they are hungry and not when they are distracted, playing, have new toys around and so on. You should be more concerned about how your child ACTS when she is dropped off with the childcare provider, not something so ridiculous as that. Im glad to hear that daycare providers only get good parents that trust their child in their care and not paranoid parents who monitor their child's hunger level as quality care. How about this...take a look at your life expenses and get rid of the things that dont matter so YOU can look after your own child. I am a single stay at home mother who lives a life that can afford me the gift of raising my own child myself. Get educated about children and how long it takes them to ttransition into daycare instead of wasting a daycare providers time and holding up a spot needed for another deserving family
Unregistered 05:29 PM 11-08-2011
I think that is the most ridiculous thing! You pulled your child out of care because she was hungry after she was left in a play environment to run around and have fun all day?children eat when they are hungry and not when they are distracted, playing, have new toys around and so on. You should be more concerned about how your child ACTS when she is dropped off with the childcare provider, not something so ridiculous as that. Im glad to hear that daycare providers only get good parents that trust their child in their care and not paranoid parents who monitor their child's hunger level as quality care. How about this...take a look at your life expenses and get rid of the things that dont matter so YOU can look after your own child. I am a single stay at home mother with 7 years of University who lives a life working from home, that can afford me the gift of raising my own child myself. Get educated about children and how long it takes them to transition into daycare instead of wasting a daycare providers time and holding up a spot needed for another deserving family
Lucy 07:51 PM 11-08-2011
You replied to a thread that is a year and a half old. Just so you know.
kayla 03:31 PM 11-09-2011
I'm sorry but to me thats rediculous!!! I would not refund you... you signed a policy... and im sure she was feeding your child i have kids that say their hungry all day and i serve breakfast lunch and dinner and 2 snacks...im sry but your out of your mind to ask for a refund..
The Truth 03:54 PM 10-20-2013
If you are a daycare provider and you can't respond with courtesy to a parent of a 2 yr olds question, regardless of what it may be----you should quit your job or be fired.

I am dealing with a preschool that doesn't thoroughly wipe during diaper changes.

I can only hope my refund request will be honored-

If not-I will be yelping, picketing, and informing every parent I know of the issue.

Parents are nervous when they leave their child with strangers, the least they should be able to do is communicate with the care givers in a professional yet intimate way regarding their child's progress, behavior, and treatment..

You should never walk on egg shells when checking on your child! Thats your baby, and this world is a tough place, dont except mediocrity.

There is no justice, just us!
KidGrind 04:48 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by The Truth:
If you are a daycare provider and you can't respond with courtesy to a parent of a 2 yr olds question, regardless of what it may be----you should quit your job or be fired.

I am dealing with a preschool that doesn't thoroughly wipe during diaper changes.

If not-I will be yelping, picketing, and informing every parent I know of the issue.

Parents are nervous when they leave their child with strangers, the least they should be able to do is communicate with the care givers in a professional yet intimate way regarding their child's progress, behavior, and treatment..

You should never walk on egg shells when checking on your child! Thats your baby, and this world is a tough place, dont except mediocrity.

I will give courtesy when parents communicate respectively.

Your refund request should be respected if the contract dictates such measures. Deposits are usually non-refundable.

I understand parents maybe nervous. However, if you don't have a good feeling about a provider, RUN FAST with your child on your hip.

I agree you should never walk on egg shells when checking on your child; unless it's nap time.

May your child always remain healthy, safe and happy!
e.j. 12:20 PM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by The Truth:

Although this thread was from several years ago, I want to respond to the above comments. First of all, I agree that providers should respond with courtesy when a parent shares a concern with them. As someone else stated, I don't love it when parents call me after hours but I do try to handle it professionally and with the same respect I'd want to receive if I were the parent calling.

Aside from that, I wanted to ask if you are absolutely sure your child isn't being wiped thouroughly when his/her diapers are changed? The reason I ask is that my own child was in day care before I decided to open my own. When we got home, I would check his diaper. Each time, I noticed there was some poop left on his bum. It looked as though his provider wasn't wiping him well. After 2 or 3 days of this, I finally spoke up and politely asked her to be more thorough. She explained that she was always careful about that and couldn't understand why it was happening. She was embarrassed and promised to be more careful. That weekend, I noticed the same problem each time I changed his diaper and he was at home the entire time. I know I was wiping him clean. Turns out, they were "skid marks". He either was passing a little poop when he passed gas - maybe because he didn't get it all out the first time around. Whatever the reason, I realized I had wrongfully assumed his provider wasn't cleaning him as well as she could have been. Is it possible this is the case with your provider?
Tags:deposit, trial period
Reply Up