Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler run over by lawnmower while at daycare
satcook 10:36 AM 08-22-2014
This is the unbelievable story unfolding in Wichita, KS!!

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/T...7LDxM.facebook

I can't imagine what the daycare provider was thinking. I looked through her compliance records and she had an almost spotless record for the last 3 years....

Lori
Unregistered 10:43 AM 08-22-2014
What in the world was going through her head??? What would posses her to mow her lawn with kids there! So so sad. I bet they have the little girl at childrens mercy.
BrooklynM 10:57 AM 08-22-2014
OMG! My in-laws live in that neighborhood! What is wrong with that lady? Mowing the lawn with the kids there? WHAT? I hate even vacuuming around the kids!
melilley 10:58 AM 08-22-2014
Poor baby!
I wonder what did possess the provider to operate a lawn mower with 5 children in the yard?!
daycare 11:01 AM 08-22-2014
I just dont understand how this would happen.....

first off what was she thinking ?

when she saw the child in front of her why wouldn't she have stopped??

was she chasing the girl with it??

UGH wow
DaveA 11:21 AM 08-22-2014
How the %^&* do you hit a child with a PUSH mower?

Poor Kid
daycare 11:44 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
How the %^&* do you hit a child with a PUSH mower?

Poor Kid
yeah I thought well maybe I could see how this would happen if it was a ride mower....

BTW what are they called? riding mower???? or is it a tractor....

hey I grew up in the freaking desert...lol
sally 11:50 AM 08-22-2014
That is just crazy. I don't even like any children being in sight of a running lawn mower. When my Aunt was a child she and her siblings were playing in their own yard while the next door neighbor mowed his lawn. The mower kicked up a rock and took my Aunts left eye out. She has had to live with a glass eye most of her life because of it.
craftymissbeth 11:52 AM 08-22-2014
I live about 30 minutes from Wichita. I'm ashamed that there are so many providers in that area lately that are giving us good providers a bad name. Every time I read the comments under an article about this incident I see dozens of "this is why I don't send my kids to daycare. You can't trust daycares"
Blackcat31 11:53 AM 08-22-2014
OMG! how horrible!!

The articles I've read said the child may lose her leg from just below the knee. It said her leg was partially severed.

The provider was arrested immediately.

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/T...272164821.html
Mom o Col 11:59 AM 08-22-2014
I cringe when people post pics on facebook or wherever of themselves and children on riding mowers. So dangerous. We've never allowed our son outdoors during lawn mowing mostly for fear of the possibility of flying debris. I certainly wouldn't let the daycare kids out while my husband mowed. I can't fathom what she was thinking to have been mowing with children in her care to begin with.
Silly Songs 12:06 PM 08-22-2014
I can't help but wonder if she was letting the little girl "help" by allowing her to push the mower .
sharlan 12:33 PM 08-22-2014
I can totally see how this happened. The provider was mowing the lawn and the toddler ran in front of the mower and was either hit by the mower and tripped or just tripped. It would have been hard to stop the momentum of mower before it went over the little one's leg.

I probably mowed my lawns with daycare kids present hundreds of times. I usually did it during naptime for the littlest ones. The older kids knew that they had to stay off the grass. They either stayed on the patio, played on the driveway, or rode their bikes on the sidewalk. Those that didn't mind, had to sit in a chair by the door until I was finished.

I now have gardeners. The kids are not allowed outside while they are here.
Baby Beluga 12:48 PM 08-22-2014
I can see how this could have happened with a ride on mower - but not a push mower. I own an electric push mower and I really have to push for it to go. Maybe gas powered ones are different?

Regardless, prayers to this little one that her leg can be saved
MOM OF 4 12:52 PM 08-22-2014
If this was an accident, yes, it's stupid because it was preventable, she should be held accountable! SO pay the bills, etc.

The gas ones, if you let go, keep going. My hubby did that on accident once. It could literally have been a slip. Still, she should have been smarter and not mow with children that aren't even hers, present. Though it's not exactly a 'criminal' act, so unless it was intentional, I'm not sure about arresting her.
Blackcat31 12:54 PM 08-22-2014
This is a great example of how what parents do when their children are present is one thing but what providers do when children are present is a whole 'nother ball game.

Parents = tragic accident

Provider =criminal case, possible jail time, loss of license and a permanent mark on her record.
Baby Beluga 01:07 PM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by MOM OF 4:

The gas ones, if you let go, keep going.
That makes a little more sense, thank you.
Thriftylady 01:46 PM 08-22-2014
Wow I am from Wichita! I can't imagine mowing the yard with little ones in it. Didn't even do it with my own!
Josiegirl 03:35 PM 08-22-2014
That is so wrong on so many accounts. That poor little girl. I feel terrible for the family and her.
Complete negligence. Any of those kids could have been hit by flying rocks. It's tragic that little girl might lose part of her leg because of such stupidity. I always cringe when I hear my dcks tell me they helped daddy mow by sitting on his lap. I can always wait until after kids leave to mow my lawn. It's not important enough to risk injury. I found a chopped up golf ball in my back yard one day. Must've flown in from a neighbor mowing it over. Can you imagine if the kids and I had been out and someone had gotten hit?
NightOwl 04:10 PM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I can totally see how this happened. The provider was mowing the lawn and the toddler ran in front of the mower and was either hit by the mower and tripped or just tripped. It would have been hard to stop the momentum of mower before it went over the little one's leg.

I probably mowed my lawns with daycare kids present hundreds of times. I usually did it during naptime for the littlest ones. The older kids knew that they had to stay off the grass. They either stayed on the patio, played on the driveway, or rode their bikes on the sidewalk. Those that didn't mind, had to sit in a chair by the door until I was finished.

I now have gardeners. The kids are not allowed outside while they are here.
You mowed your grass while you had children in your care? And they were outside? Were there any other adult caregivers present? I'm just trying to make sure I understood you correctly. Weren't you afraid of the mower throwing a rock at break neck speed and injuring someone?
sharlan 04:31 PM 08-22-2014
Yes, for many years, I did my yardwork with the daycare kids present. I had 2 very small yards. I never thought twice about it. No, there was not always another adult present. IF I had an infant, I would wait until my girls got home from school and could sit in the livingroom with the sleeping baby. I usually had 1 toddler and older preschool aged kids. I would put the toddler in the pack and play or walker/exersaucer (legal then) on the patio in the shade. The older kids played on the patio, driveway, or sidewalk. In those days, 20-30 years ago, my kids minded really well. The kids knew the rules and followed them. No I was not concerned with a rock flying. I don't remember ever have a rock or anything else fly from the lawnmower.

My daycare parents always knew that I did my yardwork with the kids present. Not one ever expressed a concern over it.

I wouldn't trust a single one of my kids today. My trust in kids has decreased tremendously in the past 15 - 20 years.

I'm not saying what I did was right or wrong, I'm just saying that was how "I" did things.
sharlan 04:33 PM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by MOM OF 4:
If this was an accident, yes, it's stupid because it was preventable, she should be held accountable! SO pay the bills, etc.

The gas ones, if you let go, keep going. My hubby did that on accident once. It could literally have been a slip. Still, she should have been smarter and not mow with children that aren't even hers, present. Though it's not exactly a 'criminal' act, so unless it was intentional, I'm not sure about arresting her.
If that happened, your lawnmower malfunctioned. Lawnmowers have had a cut off switch for a lot of years. When you let go of the handle, the engine dies.
sharlan 04:37 PM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is a great example of how what parents do when their children are present is one thing but what providers do when children are present is a whole 'nother ball game.

Provider =criminal case, possible jail time, loss of license and a permanent mark on her record.
That is why my way of doing things has changed over the years. I guess you could say its been a form of evolution. In 30 years, I've only had one injury on my property. (Knock on wood.) Actually, one of my dcb tripped on my neighbor's grass and broke both bones in his arm.
KidGrind 05:04 PM 08-22-2014
I am just so sad for the little one.
lblanke 06:58 PM 08-22-2014
I can't believe anyone would think it was ok to mow the lawn while supervising 5 toddlers. Yes, criminal. She should not be allowed to watch children again.
craftymissbeth 07:03 PM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This is exactly what I've been thinking! I've been keeping my opinion about whether she should have been arrested or not to myself. I'm definitely the odd man out around here from what I've been reading in article comments. If this had been a parent, people (not all, but a lot) would be horrified that the parent had to experience such a tragic accident. From what I've read, most people want her thrown in prison because she was "on the clock" and "being paid to watch those kids". There have been a lot of comments about HOME providers should not do a single chore around the house while they're being paid. I guess I don't know what's wrong with me... I just don't see how the fact that she was paid means that she should be criminally charged.

**btw, children are involved in mowing accidents ALL the time and those adults aren't arrested for it, to my knowledge**

FLAME AWAY!
midaycare 09:48 PM 08-22-2014
Poor kid. I would not mow with kids present. Just seems dangerous. Me with a mower is dangerous, period.

I don't understand how she watches the kids while she is mowing. I am constantly having to supervise outdoor play because someone is always tripping/falling/about to trip or fall/fighting over toys/needs to be redirected.
Josiegirl 03:28 AM 08-23-2014
You can watch kids while doing dishes or throwing in laundry(unless your washing machine is in the basement like mine it); some of these things are even necessary during the day because of the nature of our business. BUT mowing a lawn can wait. Why does any kind of machinery needs to run with children nearby? I don't even use my vacuum unless the floor is full of rice or something.
I'd be very worried about what else a provider does if s/he goes as far as to mow the lawn with kids around.
As far as criminal charges are concerned, she should be held responsible in some way, at the very least never allow her to care for children again and pay monetary damages. Jail? Not sure if that would be called for. Jail isn't the answer to everything.
Play Care 05:18 AM 08-23-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I don't understand how she watches the kids while she is mowing. I am constantly having to supervise outdoor play because someone is always tripping/falling/about to trip or fall/fighting over toys/needs to be redirected.
This. Are there times I've weeded my front garden while watching the kids on bikes? Of course. But lawn mowing? I couldn't hear the kids, and clearly this provider didn't see them
MOM OF 4 06:44 AM 08-23-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
You can watch kids while doing dishes or throwing in laundry(unless your washing machine is in the basement like mine it); some of these things are even necessary during the day because of the nature of our business. BUT mowing a lawn can wait. Why does any kind of machinery needs to run with children nearby? I don't even use my vacuum unless the floor is full of rice or something.
I'd be very worried about what else a provider does if s/he goes as far as to mow the lawn with kids around.
As far as criminal charges are concerned, she should be held responsible in some way, at the very least never allow her to care for children again and pay monetary damages. Jail? Not sure if that would be called for. Jail isn't the answer to everything.
We were not allowed to do laundry for FCC, even though the machine was in the hall of the daycare and could be blocked with a gate.

We all do things with our own kids present, that's OK because we HAVE to do them. It's our own risk if we're not careful.

When we have other people's kids, it's like being at work...you shouldn't be doing your landscaping while at work, and it's a risk that your forcing other parents to take and in this day in age where kids don't mind and parents sue for everything, it's not a risk I'd take. 20 years ago? Maybe, but probably not, because again, I would have been at work. Kids did listen better, and parents were more understanding of a lot of things. Accidents happen, they are not "on purposes", and the DCProvider should pay for the medical bills, but hardly was what she did a 'crime' and she shouldn't lose her livlihood or freedom because of it. I don't think I was clear in my post
Thriftylady 07:59 AM 08-23-2014
I don't think it is a crime, just bad judgment. It is sad to me that accidents can be so easily considered a crime. It is one of the reasons we have shortages in workers and services. My husband is in the same boat. He is a semi driver, and one wreck can land him in jail if someone dies, even if it isn't his fault. Truck drivers all over get a bad name because of the "horrible wrecks" they cause. But people don't realize the millions of miles they drive and that alone increases the risk of accident. The same as doing daycare increases the chance a child will get hurt in our care. But even though I don't think this was criminal it was such bad judgement that I think she should lose her child care license.
originalkat 11:26 AM 08-23-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I don't think it is a crime, just bad judgment. It is sad to me that accidents can be so easily considered a crime. It is one of the reasons we have shortages in workers and services. My husband is in the same boat. He is a semi driver, and one wreck can land him in jail if someone dies, even if it isn't his fault. Truck drivers all over get a bad name because of the "horrible wrecks" they cause. But people don't realize the millions of miles they drive and that alone increases the risk of accident. The same as doing daycare increases the chance a child will get hurt in our care. But even though I don't think this was criminal it was such bad judgement that I think she should lose her child care license.

I agree in so many ways!
I was a truck driver with my husband years ago and the road is a truck drivers' HOME! It is their workplace. Four-Wheelers (as we would call them) are guests on the road and often forget how much we rely on truck drivers to deliver EVERYTHING we need! One day without truck deliveries would equal practically empty shelves in the grocery store. But people talk so much crap about them. Grrr. God Bless our Truck Drivers!

As for the provider.... Wow. I must be the odd man out, but I feel for everyone in this situation (including the provider and her family). This is my hometown. No, she should not have mowed the lawn. But based on her reputation, record of great inspections, and experience, I would venture to say this is not something she does regularly. It was most likely a quick poor decision based on any number of facors and she thought, "Dang it, we didnt get this mowed. We have this and this and this going on this weekend. The kids are playing. Im just going to knock this out real quick."
Then a tragic accident occurred.
It is a horrible tragedy which occurred from a bad choice. I am not excusing it, but at the same time I don't think she is a criminal as she is being treated. She is a normal mom, wife, daycare provider like any of us who made one wrong decision which led to tragedy.
lblanke 04:05 PM 08-23-2014
Something similar happened here with a school bus driver going very fast on a 2 lane country road. Several children were injured, some seriously. She was criminally prosecuted and plead guilty but granted judicial diversion. As long as she has no more legal problems for a period of time, her record will be wiped clean, and she will face no jail time. But, she can probably never drive a school bus again. Seems like a similar situation...someone responsible for children was negligent in caring for those children, and kids were seriously inured.
NightOwl 04:35 PM 08-23-2014
Has there been any new developments in this case? I totally agree that it's widely considered two different things depending on where accidents happen. Daycare is criminal, home is a tragedy. I guess that's why I questioned Sharlan about it. But given that she was doing it 20+ years ago, that's understandable. Things were different then. People didn't have their lawyers on speed dial. There was more trust and way less blame. I never rode in a car seat or worried about an accident when I rode on the lawnmower as a child. I'm sure these accidents happened, but they didn't make national news and there was no social media to spread the story around. It's not that it never happened, it's just that we didn't hear about it.
MyAngels 07:13 PM 08-23-2014
Actually, whether this had happened to a provider or a parent, I think it could be considered a crime. She was charged with aggravated child endangerment, which according to Kansas statutes is defined as:

"Endangering a child is knowingly and unreasonably causing or permitting a child under the age of 18 years to be placed in a situation in which the child's life, body or health may be endangered."

By my interpretation that could apply to anyone in this situation.
Josiegirl 03:49 AM 08-24-2014
I'm going to come off like a judgmental ole witch here. I've been doing child care for over 30 years and would've never considered mowing with little kids around. Obviously I don't know the provider involved, maybe she's single and works 24/7. If that's the case you can get a helper for an hour while you mow. I am not sympathetic to her situation at all. As I said before, if she's mowing with kids present, who knows what else she does while they're there. Maybe she presents herself to be Ms Mary Poppins but what she did was a horrible tragic decision affecting a little girl. There's a huge difference between a skinned knee and possibly losing a leg from the knee down. A child should never ever be even close to a situation as dangerous as that. Most cases hindsight teaches us lessons painlessly. Not this one. Having a child ride a mower with dad or having them help mow while you mow, things like that have always been one of my huge pet peeves. We don't rethink our actions until it's too late and something tragic has happened.

Off my soapbox now.
Thriftylady 07:39 AM 08-24-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm going to come off like a judgmental ole witch here. I've been doing child care for over 30 years and would've never considered mowing with little kids around. Obviously I don't know the provider involved, maybe she's single and works 24/7. If that's the case you can get a helper for an hour while you mow. I am not sympathetic to her situation at all. As I said before, if she's mowing with kids present, who knows what else she does while they're there. Maybe she presents herself to be Ms Mary Poppins but what she did was a horrible tragic decision affecting a little girl. There's a huge difference between a skinned knee and possibly losing a leg from the knee down. A child should never ever be even close to a situation as dangerous as that. Most cases hindsight teaches us lessons painlessly. Not this one. Having a child ride a mower with dad or having them help mow while you mow, things like that have always been one of my huge pet peeves. We don't rethink our actions until it's too late and something tragic has happened.

Off my soapbox now.
Well I know when I was licensed in KS, you couldn't have kids more than 18 hours a day. I do get what you are saying about just needing to get it done, but there are always kids in that town looking to make a couple bucks. I guess we were not there and we are not her, so we don't know but I wish this poor child wasn't hurt.
Reply Up