Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: Iron Woman Training
daycare 04:41 PM 09-22-2014
I am going to be signing up to do an IRON WOMAN in 2015 in honor of my niece who passed. It will take a lot of self discipline and committed training, more than I already do. This means that I will have to train at least 6 days a week, about 2-3 hours a day. Right now I work out every day, but run for about 45min in the morning before daycare and then at home during nap time or later at night at my husbands gym. I never leave the daycare.

Training for this will mean that during nap time I will leave the daycare for about 2 hours. Basically as soon as the kids go down, I will leave. The gym is about 1 mile from my home.

How would you feel as a parent if your provider left every day during nap time to train at the gym a mile away??

I hardly ever leave the DC, unless it's really important. I do have the proper staff coverage.

INPUT....thanks ladies...right now this is my only option, as I would have to train again earlier in the morning and or at night along with nap time workout.
jenboo 04:45 PM 09-22-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am going to be signing up to do an IRON WOMAN in 2015 in honor of my niece who passed. It will take a lot of self discipline and committed training, more than I already do. This means that I will have to train at least 6 days a week, about 2-3 hours a day. Right now I work out every day, but run for about 45min in the morning before daycare and then at home during nap time or later at night at my husbands gym. I never leave the daycare.

Training for this will mean that during nap time I will leave the daycare for about 2 hours. Basically as soon as the kids go down, I will leave. The gym is about 1 mile from my home.

How would you feel as a parent if your provider left every day during nap time to train at the gym a mile away??

I hardly ever leave the DC, unless it's really important. I do have the proper staff coverage.

INPUT....thanks ladies...right now this is my only option, as I would have to train again earlier in the morning and or at night along with nap time workout.
If you have the proper staff coverage, I don't see a problem with it. It's nap time. They are sleeping. You aren't missing much.
Blackcat31 04:46 PM 09-22-2014
...don't hit me, but as a parent, I would have an issue if my provider left everyday. I totally understand the need to have a back up substitute/provider for times you have to be gone but it would sit bit uncomfortably with me if you left every day.

Twice a week.....maybe but I don't know, I was weird about that when it came to my kids. I didn't like anyone to transport them either.

I guess only you know if your parents would mind. They are used to your assistants. My provider didn't have assistants on a regular basis and only used a sub once in blue moon.

So I guess I didn't really answer your question did I?

But hey!!! Congratulations on wanting to participate in this challenge. You have a lot more energy and/or motivation than I do. My new puppy is wearing me out.
Naptime yet? 04:50 PM 09-22-2014
As long as the kids are safe, and you're still within licensing requirements and your sub knows what's happening, I'd say YOU GO, GIRL!

I thinks that's awesome and am completely jealous of you!

Personally, as a parent, as long as someone was watching my child who was approved and who I'd met, I wouldn't care what my provider did during her "lunch break". Unless you were living by the "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" rule...

If you have a good relationship with your dcps, I think you'll be ok.
Michael 04:58 PM 09-22-2014
You can do it!

Country Kids 05:07 PM 09-22-2014
Sorry daycare but I'm the BC on this. I wouldn't like it one bit.

I guess I'm looking at it like (not that I'm the boss) but I am paying you to be there with my child whether its naptime or not. I know you have assistants but I still would expect you to be there unless you were needing to go to an appt. but not every day. I see it as a personal thing that needs to be done before or after work.

We had a provider here that was leaving the kids with the assitants while she was actually doing stuff for the union and she actually lost children over it.
daycare 05:09 PM 09-22-2014
thanks so much for the feedback and honesty.

OMG I Love that dream big.... that is awesome. I want to print that out.

I started a motivational wall I want to add that to it.

BC- I completely understand what you are saying and I as a parent feel weird about it and I am talking about myself....lol

All of my assistants have worked with me for 2+years except for 1 and she would not be left with the kids until she has been here for at least one year. I hardly ever leave the kids as it is, I am always here.

So the parents know my assistants very well, I know that they fully trust them.
I guess maybe it would be best to only go 3 days a week during daycare hours and then figure it out from there.

I am excited and nervous all in one. If I make it, I will raise $8,000 for my nieces foundation......... I am really hoping I can do it.
jenboo 06:03 PM 09-22-2014
I'm looking at it from a lunch break perspective. I know a home daycare is different from a center, but I just see it as a lunch break. Anywhere else you work, you get to leave for lunch.
If I had an assistant who was regularly here, I would leave for my lunch break most days.
When I worked at a center one of the girls would go running on her break.

Like I said, home daycares are different that centers but I don't see it as a problem.... But I also don't have any kids off my own.
daycare 09:19 PM 09-22-2014
ugh I am sooooo conflicted.. I basically thought about your guys responses all night and I have decided that I am going to shoot for going 3 days a week.

My DCF know my older asst (same age as me) just as well as they know me. SHe is practically my partner without the pay.

I will inform the dcp and then see how it goes. If anyone has an issue with it, then I guess I will cross that bridge when it comes.

I hope that it all works out....I really want to do this, it's on my bucket list and now I can do it and raise money for a good cause at the same time...
DaveA 04:40 AM 09-23-2014
Cool! Which Ironman are you doing? My wife has done 1/2 ironman, ultramarathons, century rides, RAIN, but next year will be her first full ironman. As a "workout widow" I salute you.

One thing- I don't know your current workout schedule but adding 5x a week all at once can cause problems. Ease into it over a period of a month or so.

As for the daycare, if your parents are OK with it, go for it. If you have assistants. you're covered. I think once you explain the what and why of the situation they'll be fine with it.
taylorw1210 04:53 AM 09-23-2014
I currently leave my daycare to my assistant 2x a week, during nap time (unless an appt. falls a little before naptime). I explain to my parents that my assistant is here twice a week to give me the opportunity to get to appts for myself or my kids, or run errands that can only be ran during the day. Everyone is fine with it.

If I were to tell my group of parents, "I have a personal goal to compete in an Iron Woman event in memory of my niece, and it will raise money for her foundation. This is going to require me to train X times a week during nap time, in which the children will be cared for by my assistant who's been here X amount of years." they would be fine with it. You have the proper coverage, and it doesn't sound like it's a random body off the streets - I don't see a problem with it at all.
daycare 08:53 AM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
Cool! Which Ironman are you doing? My wife has done 1/2 ironman, ultramarathons, century rides, RAIN, but next year will be her first full ironman. As a "workout widow" I salute you.

One thing- I don't know your current workout schedule but adding 5x a week all at once can cause problems. Ease into it over a period of a month or so.

As for the daycare, if your parents are OK with it, go for it. If you have assistants. you're covered. I think once you explain the what and why of the situation they'll be fine with it.
There are several to choose from, I have not yet deiced. It will be towards the end of the year in 2015, sept perhaps. They don't open enrollment up just yet.
I would love to do hawaii, but I am not sure it's on the list for 2015.

WOW your wife sounds amazing.

I have done a lot of events, not too many recently. The last even I did was a few months back, I did a tough mudder 10 miles, Spartan in SD, MarineCore Tough Mudder Carlsbad.
Every year from 1996-2011 I have ran the Marine Core Marathon in DC. I have not had the time or commitment to be able to do it the last few years.

I have competed in several triathlons, SF escape to Alcatraz shark swim. I will be doing the SD sharkfest next month.

The only thing that I have not had a lot of practice at is biking.

I already work out 5 days a week, so I will only be adding one more day and 1.5 more hours a day to it. My husband is a fabulous trainer and I have all the faith in him that he will get me ready to go.

I just home I don't bust emotionally........I hear it's a lot of work.
coolconfidentme 09:03 AM 09-23-2014
YOU GOT THIS!
Do you have any equipment at home? Treadmill? I would sometimes do the treadmill or P90X at naptime while training for a marathon. If you have any questions, hit me up. I've done it all.
daycare 09:06 AM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
YOU GOT THIS!
Do you have any equipment at home? Treadmill? I would sometimes do the treadmill or P90X at naptime while training for a marathon. If you have any questions, hit me up. I've done it all.
Thanks so much......I am super excited to do this...A little nervous because I don't want to let down my niece.

I do have equipment at home, stationary bike, treadmill and rowing machine. We have a mini gym in the garage, but it was not built back up when we moved, too much work.

BUT I use it daily in the winter....summer I am outside
craftymissbeth 10:39 AM 09-23-2014
As a parent I think I would view your set up more as a small center than a large home daycare if that makes sense. You're preschool based, have multiple assistants, and you have a limited age group. I would be totally fine with you taking an extended break to train every day. When my son was in a center I never even thought about which teachers were with him at any given time. As long as he was properly supervised I was ok with whatever... but I know not all parents are that way.
daycare 12:28 PM 09-23-2014
I love my DCP..

So I told them what I was doing and why. All of them are aware of my NIece and her recent death to brain cancer, because I have been raising money for her foundation and of course closed for the funeral earlier this year.

SO far I have had 2 families offer to give donations for the cause when I run and the rest of them said good luck wishes. Only 3 I have not heard back from yet, but I don't think that they will have a problem with it either.

I am sooo excited that are being so supportive. One said in a joking mannor I don't think my kid will even miss you one bit, because hopefully they will be sleeping....

now the hard part.............train
taylorw1210 02:44 PM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I love my DCP..

So I told them what I was doing and why. All of them are aware of my NIece and her recent death to brain cancer, because I have been raising money for her foundation and of course closed for the funeral earlier this year.

SO far I have had 2 families offer to give donations for the cause when I run and the rest of them said good luck wishes. Only 3 I have not heard back from yet, but I don't think that they will have a problem with it either.

I am sooo excited that are being so supportive. One said in a joking mannor I don't think my kid will even miss you one bit, because hopefully they will be sleeping....

now the hard part.............train
I'm glad you went ahead and notified everyone! I would have done the same and really doubt that I would get a negative response from my families.
daycare 03:18 PM 09-23-2014
thanks for the support, I really appreciate it.
missy 02:03 AM 09-24-2014
Oh just do it! Have a LIFE outside of daycare!! None of my parents could give 2 sh÷% $ as long as their kids are well cared for and come home happy:-)

Good luck!!
Tags:achievement
Reply Up