Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do you do when you don't want to enroll potential family
Preschool/daycare teacher 09:04 PM 10-09-2015
I met with dcd this week and I'm supposed to meet with the mom next week. They haven't actually told me they want me to care for their son, but I'm getting that impression. Dcb (20 months old) came with dad this week when he came, and going by just the few minutes they were here, I'm not sure I think dcb would be a good fit. He seems well behaved (but it's hard to tell without him being here longer and with other children to play with too) and his hours would be perfect. I couldn't ask for a better schedule. And he'd be full time which would be so nice! I just can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm not sure he'd be a good fit. So if mom comes next hopefully that will give me another opportunity to see how he does, but if I meet with her and she decides she would like me to be his childcare provider and I don't think I do want to, how do I tell her I'm choosing not to enroll him? She had a post up on a facebook page looking for childcare, so I let her know I had a couple openings, and it went from there. So since she's on facebook and that's my primary way to advertise for free right now (and I've had the most success with it than any other way I've advertised), she will know if I don't fill that opening with someone else.
I'm looking for actual wording that you would use, and what I can say during the interview to let her know that just because I'm interviewing with her doesn't mean I'm going to take him if she decides to go with me.
Controlled Chaos 10:32 PM 10-09-2015
2 options I see

1. 2 week trial period. Maybe they will be great. And if not, you can terminate.
2. Tell her "thank you for your interest in my program. Unfortunately, I cannot offer you a spot at his time. I wish you all day he best on your search for childcare"

There is a better way to word #2...
childcaremom 01:58 AM 10-10-2015
I have one family right now where mom is interested but after reading her email I am not.

So I am planning on telling her that while I appreciate her interest in my program, I don't think that I can meet her needs at this time. Or that while I appreciate her interest in my program, I don't think I would be a good fit for her family.

I am leaning towards option 1.

Hope that helps!
Laurel 07:46 AM 10-10-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
I met with dcd this week and I'm supposed to meet with the mom next week. They haven't actually told me they want me to care for their son, but I'm getting that impression. Dcb (20 months old) came with dad this week when he came, and going by just the few minutes they were here, I'm not sure I think dcb would be a good fit. He seems well behaved (but it's hard to tell without him being here longer and with other children to play with too) and his hours would be perfect. I couldn't ask for a better schedule. And he'd be full time which would be so nice! I just can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm not sure he'd be a good fit. So if mom comes next hopefully that will give me another opportunity to see how he does, but if I meet with her and she decides she would like me to be his childcare provider and I don't think I do want to, how do I tell her I'm choosing not to enroll him? She had a post up on a facebook page looking for childcare, so I let her know I had a couple openings, and it went from there. So since she's on facebook and that's my primary way to advertise for free right now (and I've had the most success with it than any other way I've advertised), she will know if I don't fill that opening with someone else.
I'm looking for actual wording that you would use, and what I can say during the interview to let her know that just because I'm interviewing with her doesn't mean I'm going to take him if she decides to go with me.
I would just tell them that I have some other interviews to do for the spot (even if you don't). Tell them you will let them know once you decide. You can always say that someone else's hours or the age of their child was a better fit for your program.

Laurel
Thriftylady 07:52 AM 10-10-2015
I never offer a spot until I am sure that it will work out. If I don't feel like it will I go with the replies above. I also have a trial period just in case.
littletots 11:28 AM 10-10-2015
I say same as above, give names of area providers who have asked me to pass on their names.
Meeko 05:21 PM 10-10-2015
I always say I am interviewing interested families and will make my decision as to which family I am taking by such-and-such date. It's win-win because I don't feel obligated to a family just because they say they want a place here....and if I DO take the family, they tend to behave better because they know I have choices and they have not hired me. I chose THEM and I can UN-choose them!
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:28 PM 10-10-2015
Thank you for all the responses. Those are helpful : ) But what I'm stuck at is that she'll know if I continue advertising for that spot. So she'll know I didn't fill it with someone else Any ideas for that?
childcaremom 05:34 PM 10-10-2015
Thank you for all the responses. Those are helpful : ) But what I'm stuck at is that she'll know if I continue advertising for that spot. So she'll know I didn't fill it with someone else Any ideas for that?
I am saying exactly what I said above. That I can't meet their needs or that it wouldn't be a good fit. It is truthful and I will still advertise for the spot.

If someone isn't a good fit, I don't see the harm in telling them that politely and in a professional manner. And I certainly would not want to waste my time with another meeting. You could tell them that after consideration, that you don't feel that your program would be a good fit for their needs. If you have someone else that you can refer them to, I would maybe do that, but if you feel like the vibe is really off, I would offer them the number to call for a referral.
jgcp 07:52 PM 10-13-2015
I would definetly tell her a two week trial period for both of you and if you advertise in that time and she brings it up say you always like to have a waiting list just in case good luck
Ariana 10:01 AM 10-14-2015
I have flat out told a family this:

"it was so wonderful seeing your family and your beautiful boys, unfortunately I am not sure they will be a good fit for my program so I have chosen not to enroll them. Good luck in your search and all the best"

Then ignore.

They will ask you why? They will try and call and email you....it is always best to ignore so they have no real explanation as to why they were rejected. If you wait for the trial period to reject you have to build a case and give a reason which can be difficult if it is just something odd about the kid.
AnythingsPossible 12:13 PM 10-16-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I have one family right now where mom is interested but after reading her email I am not.

So I am planning on telling her that while I appreciate her interest in my program, I don't think that I can meet her needs at this time. Or that while I appreciate her interest in my program, I don't think I would be a good fit for her family.

I am leaning towards option 1.

Hope that helps!

This! My mom says it is my go to for everything, and I suppose it is, but when I have a family interview that I don't think will work, I simply tell them I don't feel it would be a good fit.
Reply Up