Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Taxes: Writing Off Mileage- Can You Use Google Maps?
legomom922 07:15 PM 11-05-2010
A few times I forgot to write down my mielage, and wanted to know if things like google maps, mapquest etc, are acceptable to the IRS as far as the mileage /distance goes? Does anyone know if the distance on these maps are truly accurate? Or are we to use the actual miles from our odometers?
QualiTcare 08:51 PM 11-05-2010
i worked for a company once where i used mapquest (and was told to use that) to be reimbursed, and i also had to write down miles on the odometer.
of course, i got reimbursed from the company - i didn't have to send it into the IRS. but there was a discussion about people who had to travel over a certain distance (50 miles i think) who would have to claim those miles on their taxes - and as far as i know, they used mapquest and kept a log sheet for the odometer as well.

the mapquest miles were accurate.
legomom922 02:46 PM 11-06-2010
I was just comparing google maps to mapquest, and they both give me different miles for the same addresses!!

Anyone know which one is more accurate??

grrr.............
legomom922 06:58 PM 11-07-2010
anyone else?
MarinaVanessa 06:26 AM 11-08-2010
I wouldn't know which was more accurate or not. I use google maps because that's just what I am used to using but I suppose you could test it and pick 3 places around town to drive to and note the miles it is one way and round-trip. Then go home and plug the addresses into google maps and map quest and see which is more accurate.
legomom922 06:30 AM 11-08-2010
Good idea!
misol 08:50 AM 11-08-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I was just comparing google maps to mapquest, and they both give me different miles for the same addresses!!

Anyone know which one is more accurate??

grrr.............

Check to make sure that both are sending you the exact same route. That could make a slight difference.
TomCopeland 04:41 PM 11-08-2010
You can use either google map or any other Internet map service to record your business trips. Make sure you have some other record to show that you made the trip (calendar notation, receipt, etc.)
legomom922 04:46 PM 11-08-2010
Thanks Tom, Do you know which one is more generally accepted to the IRS? Would you happen to know which map service is more accurate? or do I not need to be that technical?

I keep my Dr's reciept along with my insurance statement for that day and for field trips I staple the reciept to a piece of paper that states where we went and what the round trip miles were, and for shopping for supplies, I track that in MMK.
Tags:google, milage, tax write off
Reply Up