Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You Are Under A State Of Emergency Due To Weather Do You Have To Close?
kpa0627 01:16 PM 02-01-2011
I'm in Kansas and needless to say the weather is terrible. Snow, Ice & very unsafe. We are under a State of Emergency and it was announced at 6am this morning. I just found about it recently though. My concern is do you have to close licensed in home daycares if your State is under State of Emergency? I tried calling licensing but they are closed due to weather. I'm trying to figure it out now so I can tell the parents if I need to be closed tomorrow.
Stacy214 01:21 PM 02-01-2011
Oh wow I have never closed (however I am in NC but had hurricanes and tornadoes before) and left it up to the parents. But I would hope your parents use good judgment ...
lvt77 01:23 PM 02-01-2011
I am in CA and just recently asked licensing this question. They said that there are no regulations for in home day cares, but there are for centers....

I would close if conditions were unsafe for the children. No power, water, heat, and etc,,,
kpa0627 01:24 PM 02-01-2011
okay i just wasn't sure. i had read on another discussion board that a lady here in ks was trying to figure out what the rule was because she thought she had to close due to licensing rules.
SilverSabre25 02:02 PM 02-01-2011
My personal rule is that if there's a level 3 snow emergency (which means if you're not an emergency vehicle, you d*** well better NOT be on the road, pretty much), there will be no daycare. It's kind of closure by default though.

I have told parents the past couple days that if we lose power, I will have to close daycare because we won't have heat, and I can't do daycare with no heat. It's annoying, really--gas heat, but requires electricity to run it
lvt77 02:06 PM 02-01-2011
I would call your state to see if they have any rules on it... I have never delt wtih snow and someone on here brought out a good point that if you could not drive in the snow that could pose an issue for you... What if your house caught on fire and you needed to drive the kids to a safe area.... Iknow I am thinking extreme, but it just might be a good idea to call your state LIC and see what they say..
countrymom 02:39 PM 02-01-2011
we are under the emergencie warning too, so because I'm so close to detroit I'm assuming they are too.
momofboys 03:47 PM 02-01-2011
It's fairly nasty here too. . . . freezing rain yuck! I would think if we reach a level 3 emergency (no one is allowed to drive except for emergency personnel/police, etc). I would close. However, I suppose if I had someone who worked as a police officer/hospital worker I would likely work for them/care for their kids so long as I had heat/electricity. If they can get here I would be open!
momofboys 03:48 PM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
My personal rule is that if there's a level 3 snow emergency (which means if you're not an emergency vehicle, you d*** well better NOT be on the road, pretty much), there will be no daycare. It's kind of closure by default though.

I have told parents the past couple days that if we lose power, I will have to close daycare because we won't have heat, and I can't do daycare with no heat. It's annoying, really--gas heat, but requires electricity to run it
That's precisely what ours is. . . gas furnace but it requires elec. to run the blower.
SilverSabre25 04:31 PM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by janarae:
That's precisely what ours is. . . gas furnace but it requires elec. to run the blower.
and, our power started flickering about 45 minutes ago...still on, still just those "was that my imagination or did the lights flicker?" ones, but I'm getting concerned...I'm not sure we have enough flashlight batteries!
momofboys 04:56 PM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
and, our power started flickering about 45 minutes ago...still on, still just those "was that my imagination or did the lights flicker?" ones, but I'm getting concerned...I'm not sure we have enough flashlight batteries!
Yikes! Stay warm/safe! We just got the call an hr ago that school is closed tomorrow. . . I will have a houseful, today I lucked out as the parent stayed home but tomorrow she has to study so she will bring them (she's only 1 mile from my home). I sort of wish she would stay home
sahm1225 04:13 AM 02-02-2011
I don't know if you HAVE to close, but we're in chicago and the families that work in the hospitals and HAD to work today were unable to get to my house. The roads around here (I am in the city, so we have lots of roads to be able to reach my house) were inaccessible. This is just so weird. I went out and shoveled a little pathway for the families and it took me almost 20 min and I swear it's gone now with the wind and the snow coming down...

I also wanted to recommend that everyone check out their local costco for these emergency lights/flashlights. You basically plug them in (they come 2 in a pack for about $15) and if the power goes out they automatically turn on. I have them plugged in around the house to light up the pathways in case of a power outage. Once you get a poweroutage, you can either turn them off or use them as a flashlight for about 8 hours of continuous use.

stay warm and safe everyone
momma2girls 05:44 AM 02-02-2011
I am open today, even though we received 18" of snow. It took my husband 2 hrs. to shovel and snowblow. We had drifts all around our driveway and sidewalks about 4 ft. deep!!! I have mainly teachers, but there are a few here now.
satcook 05:52 AM 02-02-2011
I am the director of a center in Kansas and we were open yesterday and are open today.

I have never read anything in the regulations about having to close.

Lori

Originally Posted by kpa0627:
I'm in Kansas and needless to say the weather is terrible. Snow, Ice & very unsafe. We are under a State of Emergency and it was announced at 6am this morning. I just found about it recently though. My concern is do you have to close licensed in home daycares if your State is under State of Emergency? I tried calling licensing but they are closed due to weather. I'm trying to figure it out now so I can tell the parents if I need to be closed tomorrow.

Tags:bad weather, closed from snow, state of emergency
Reply Up