Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdoor Recommendations For Babies
SandeeAR 07:24 AM 03-18-2011
I have an 12 mo, non walker....still months away. An 8 mo, "army crawler". I use the exersaucers outside. However, as it is now warmer, we will be outside for longer times.

For those with experience with the group outside, what do you find works best outside? I planning on buying either a play yard and putting a quilt on the ground, under it for both babies. Or I can buy another pak-n-play, just for use outside. I could cover the pack-n-play and leave it outside most all the time, except in extremely stormy weather. I could alternate the babies within the pak-n-play and the exersaucer.

I can't decide which would be better.
Little People 07:26 AM 03-18-2011
How about this?
Attached: 3k73m13p95Y05V65R0b17bc0cbdf01bf7134e.jpg (15.1 KB) 
AnythingsPossible 07:30 AM 03-18-2011
I have done the pack in play in the past, but this summer I plan on buying 2 play yards as I will have two littles this summer. I don't plan on putting anything under them, but will make sure the play yard is on a well grassed area with no sticks or such. I want them to get used to the feeling of the grass. If eating the grass becomes an issue, I will do something under them though.
I also have an exersaucer outside, so will transition them to that if they get irritated in the playyard. I want to create a toddler yard, where the 2 and under set can roam and not get into to much trouble. In the past I have had littles that exist to eat the sand in the sand box, or try to eat the pea gravel. I would love to have an area to keep the in-between stage so that if I am assisting someone else, I'm not constantly worried.
SandeeAR 07:31 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
How about this?
That's along the lines I'm talking about. Just can't decide if I need to go that way or the pak-n-play? Just wondering what most folks use.
nannyde 07:33 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
That's along the lines I'm talking about. Just can't decide if I need to go that way or the pak-n-play? Just wondering what most folks use.
check the depth of them at the lowest part of the top railing. They aren't very deep. They wouldn't have to be very old at all to monkey over the lowest point.
SandeeAR 07:52 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
check the depth of them at the lowest part of the top railing. They aren't very deep. They wouldn't have to be very old at all to monkey over the lowest point.
Depth of the play yard or the pak-n-play?
Meyou 07:58 AM 03-18-2011
Last summer I had two 14 month olds one of which was still crawling, the other just toddling. I set up my 12x12 mesh dining tent from camping with a quilt on the ground and left them to it. They got just as much fresh air but had a safe area where they couldnt eat dirt. lol The bigger kids used it as well especially at naptime. It was a great shade provider for us all summer.
SandeeAR 08:00 AM 03-18-2011
This is what I have been leaning towards....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-Stat...t-Gate/8457890

The one without the gate is $50, the one with the extension and gate is $70.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

The first one is 62" X62". Not sure how much the gate extension adds.

I believe they both have a gate.

Anybody have one of these? Just wondering if it is big enough to keep two babies happy outside with toys for a couple of hours?
JenNJ 08:03 AM 03-18-2011
I would get a superyard and place it in the shade.
SandeeAR 08:07 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Last summer I had two 14 month olds one of which was still crawling, the other just toddling. I set up my 12x12 mesh dining tent from camping with a quilt on the ground and left them to it. They got just as much fresh air but had a safe area where they couldnt eat dirt. lol The bigger kids used it as well especially at naptime. It was a great shade provider for us all summer.

Hummm, that is a thought too. My DD and I were discussing buying one for camping and spliting the cost b/c we always go camping together and use the same table. I might check into that too!
nannyde 08:10 AM 03-18-2011
How about this?
Depth of the one Little People posted.
AnythingsPossible 08:22 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Did the bottom's attach to the ground? I think this sounds like a neat idea, but am curious if the littles could lift the bottom and crawl out??? This would be more area then the play yards for sure.
lil angels 08:47 AM 03-18-2011
I have 2 play yards like the one you posted from walmart and I would put out one when I had one child and them connect two of them when I had two children here that size and they did great I put toys in for them and even a little ride on for them to sit on. It sat in the grass next to my normal outside play area and the other kids will go over and talk to them sometimes and they didn't mind it at all. I bring my stroller out so they can sit, I have a exersaucer and I also have a couple baby swings to go back and forth with it seems to work very well for a few hrs at a time and I have never had anybody scale it either. It folds us for storage very fast to I like to put mine away if it is going to storm and also on the weekends.
MommyMuffin 08:57 AM 03-18-2011
This is what I have been leaning towards....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-Stat...t-Gate/8457890

The one without the gate is $50, the one with the extension and gate is $70.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

The first one is 62" X62". Not sure how much the gate extension adds.

I believe they both have a gate.

Anybody have one of these? Just wondering if it is big enough to keep two babies happy outside with toys for a couple of hours?
I have this play yard and I plan on buying a second one to make a large area. The first one is big enough for 2 young children. I am getting 2 so that I can sit in it to bottle feed or change diapers. I plan on spending lots of time outside if the weather is not too hot this summer.

I am thinking the same as another poster about having another area for toddlers. I was thinking of getting some type of fence or deck railings to make an area for them with a little climber and some toys.

I was going to leave the bigger swing set and sand box for those 2 and up.
Little People 09:03 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Depth of the one Little People posted.
Nan, I do remember you telling me about the depth of this not to long ago, and I now remember why I did not buy it!! I guess i still think it is to cute!! But cute is not safe.. Thanks for reminding me!!
ammama 10:47 AM 03-18-2011
I attached a jolly jumper onto my tree in the back, and my (then) 7-10 month DD loved it. She would jump out there for hours. I also had an exercauser, or I would put her on a quilt.
SandeeAR 10:49 AM 03-18-2011
Nan, I do remember you telling me about the depth of this not to long ago, and I now remember why I did not buy it!! I guess i still think it is to cute!! But cute is not safe.. Thanks for reminding me!!
I saw one similar to that at our local Rhea Lana sale. It was like $30, but it just seemed to short to me and not very big around. They never had one of the gated ones show up for sale. I've never seen one on Craigslist either, so looks like I'm gonna have to purchase new.
SandeeAR 10:50 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I have this play yard and I plan on buying a second one to make a large area. The first one is big enough for 2 young children. I am getting 2 so that I can sit in it to bottle feed or change diapers. I plan on spending lots of time outside if the weather is not too hot this summer.

I am thinking the same as another poster about having another area for toddlers. I was thinking of getting some type of fence or deck railings to make an area for them with a little climber and some toys.

I was going to leave the bigger swing set and sand box for those 2 and up.
So what is the difference in the two? Is the second one made to attach to the orginal one?
PeanutsGalore 01:32 PM 03-18-2011
Wow, such awesome suggestions. I've been churning my brain to figure out how to continue getting my infants outdoor / exercise time when I have more than two since getting them into a stroller will be a pain in the patookus. I also need more space, and adding "rooms" by using my yard will work like a charm for my setup. Thanks!
mickey2 02:02 PM 03-18-2011
I have one very similar to the one Little People posted and I myself love it! I just got in in a month ago and am looking to get another one in a couple of months once the snow is gone for outside. The one I have has 8 panels and measures 31" high and 73" in diameter.
Attached: HPIM1854.JPG (121.0 KB) play yard.JPG (96.7 KB) 
nannyde 02:27 PM 03-18-2011
You are welcome. IIRC they are really shallow at the lowest point.
MommyMuffin 04:15 PM 03-18-2011
So what is the difference in the two? Is the second one made to attach to the orginal one?
I have the one with the gate but I have no idea how to use the gate part. I plan on buying a second one and connecting all the panels. I have to save up some money first!
Abigail 09:57 PM 03-18-2011
How tall should a pack n play or another type be? I'm starting to look around for these as well, but pack n plays are definitely easier on the budget!
Tags:exersaucer, outside play
Reply Up