Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help - Major Ink Stain on Carpet
momofboys 05:39 AM 03-05-2010
Does anyone have any advice on how to get ink out of carpet? Yesterday one of my charges ( an almost 4 year old) was messing around with an ink pen (yes I know she should not have had a pen. . . I did not give it to her but she was playing with my 6 year old son in his room) & she broke it apart. As a result there were 4 VERY BIG black ink stains on my child's beige carpet. Typically daycare kids DO NOT play in my childrens' rooms; however, my one son who is in Kindergarten LOVES playing with the daycare children so he was playing in his room with her which I allow. Anyway, I tried hair spray & also carpet cleaner to no avail. It looks awful. I'm glad it isn;t in the living room. Would renting a steam cleaner take it out or only a professional?
Fro 05:51 AM 03-05-2010
Oh that has happened to me once or twice too. usually its the dog who gets ahold of a pen somehow and chews it up. A steam cleaner did nothing, neither did hot soapy water and a scrub brush. What I did was get a whole bunch of white cloths and a bottle of fingernail polish remover and pour some on and blot up, then repeat. I would suggest testing it on your carpet first though. My carpet is white, but it may take the dye out of colored carpet, im not sure. And depending on what type of carpet it is, and if you get nail polish remover with acitone, the acitone may melt some plastics if its not blotted up well enough. Good luck
Daycare Mommy 05:59 AM 03-05-2010
Sorry I don't know of anything that will remove ink. First I'd call carpet cleaners and ask if they can remove ink. If not call a flooring company and they can cut out the stained part of the carpet and patch it. If done well you won't know the difference. Again sorry. Hopefully someone else here has a way to just get the stain out. Good luck.
momma2girls 06:29 AM 03-05-2010
Try googling ink stains in carpet, and they will tell you how to get it out!! Good luck!! That sucks!!!
mac60 08:53 AM 03-05-2010
I highly recommend a product called M30, it comes in a round container and I buy it at Dollar General for $1. It even says it removes ink. I found that is the the one an only thing that I can use and gets about everything out. Cheap and works on most. I would suggest using it in a closet on the carpet first to make sure it doesn't remove the color.

I would suggest putting the M30 on the stain, then blotting it up. In the end, I would use the carpet shampooer to finish up and remove any residue. Works great for me.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:59 AM 03-05-2010
I would try brake cleaner. or pb blaster.
GretasLittleFriends 08:04 PM 03-05-2010
I'm assuming you mean ball-point pen ink. I'm not 100% sure about that, but I can tell you that rubbing alcohol will remove permanent marker ink (such as sharpie). Also, the higher the concentration of rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) the less elbow grease you have to put behind it. I have a bottle of 91% by volume that I bought at Walgreens. You could try that.
Persephone 04:34 AM 03-06-2010
I was also going to say rubbing alcohol. DS got some ink marks on my couch and I used rubbing alcohol and it came out, after trying a few times with other stuff.

Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.
ghostlykisses 05:31 PM 03-06-2010
I use a laundry bar soap called Fels Naptha on bad laundry stains. I have used it to remove permanent marker from clothing before. We used it on off white carpet to remove stains from a nasty vommiting incident involving on of my greyhounds and 4 bags of chocolate chips she stole from the pantry (stained carpets and a $500 vet bill, yee haw).

Heck even if it does not work on your ink stain this stuff is a must have for anyone with children or who works with children. I think it works better than spray and wash or any of those types of things.
momofboys 07:35 AM 03-08-2010
Thank you everyone for your responses. I actually have not done anything additional with it. I used tons of hairspray on it & then some time of commercial stain cleaner. Initially it did not look much better but after a few days it seems like it is about 80% out. So I may try one of your suggestions to get the rest out. I guess what I did (all the scrubbing) just took some time to show up!
MarinaVanessa 08:33 AM 03-08-2010
Just read your post and wished I'd seen it earlier. I use and swear by a product called Folex which is a carpet spot remover. You don't have to rinse after you're done and it works on ink, grease, wine, juice, cofee stains, mold, blood, crayons, markers (even PERMANENT ones) yadda-yadda-yadda. Theses are just the things that I've used it for and I've used it on my beige carpet and couches, light brown micro-suede dining chairs and clothes.

It comes in a white spray bottle with dark purple writing or you can get it in a big bleach bottle size and put it right into a steam machine (though I doubt you'll need it). You should be able to get it at Target, Ralphs etc. I get mine from Lowe's and if they run out (it's a popular item so it sells fast) I go to Home Depot and get it there since I get the large bottle. You can see right away whether it'll remove it or not. Just spray it on and work it in with a brush (get it really wet) or rag until you get it out. On tough stains I do it repeatedly several times a day for a day or two (got blood out). Hope you get the stain out.
Tags:folex, ink stain, spot remover, stain removal
Reply Up