Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Best Toys And/Or Centers For 2 Year Olds And Younger??
Crazy8 09:00 AM 04-09-2013
I have a smaller playroom area with a few odd shapes - it was hard to arrange but I finally had it so that it worked well for the kids (posted pics a while back). Now I went and bought this awesome big new toy that I know the kids will love BUT it means rearranging!!

I'd love to know what others find are the most played with toys/centers for the younger kids (1-3yo). Everything I read is for preschoolers but 90% of my kids are here from birth till they head to preschool - usually at 3 years old. I have a handful of 2 year olds right now so they play, but not necessarily the same as 3-5 year olds would.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:41 AM 04-09-2013
kitchen set, pots and pans, etc
baby dolls
things to put in/take out/dump
board books
sensory materials
push/pull toys
instruments
NeedaVaca 10:02 AM 04-09-2013
I agree with PP and would add blocks, cars & trains to the list.

I have a kitchen station, block station, train table that is sometimes for trains other times we play with cars on it, art station.
AnneCordelia 02:11 PM 04-09-2013
My group is tue ages of yours too. My most played with toys are blocks, trains/cars, baby doll and accessories, kitchen and food, and dress up hats. They love the hats. lol.
Crazy8 02:51 PM 04-09-2013
ok, that sounds like all the things I have. I had it broken in areas: 1. kitchen/workbench (w/dolls, crib, etc.), 2. trains/cars & blocks, 3. bookcase/chair as a reading area, 4. a basic "toy" area - included little people, music toys, etc. and 5. a baby toy area - more for the crawler but the walkers like it too.

Since I need to cut back - I am taking out the workbench and will just have a cubby of tools that they can still play with. Can cut back on the number of toys so can eliminate an entire cubby unit but I really used it more as a divider than for the storage it provided (I spread things out more than I needed to). I may have to eliminate my "younger" baby area and I hate to do that - it was a nice spot with a mirror toy on the wall, rubber mat, etc.

I hate having to rearrange things!!! I have to work to get things so its not too open (which causes running) and so they don't end up with one giant play area which becomes a dumping ground!
nothingwithoutjoy 05:30 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
My group is tue ages of yours too. My most played with toys are blocks, trains/cars, baby doll and accessories, kitchen and food, and dress up hats. They love the hats. lol.
Oh, yeah, hats!!! And purses! And cameras and phones (old broken real ones).
LK5kids 07:12 PM 04-09-2013
My 2's love, love, love my 2 grocery carts. They play with them constantly. They are my oldest kids. And yes, they like to play in the kitchen and with dolls......but kitchen stuff as well as dolls go into the grocery carts. They also love the book corner.
Tags:2 year old, age appropriate - toys, toys
Reply Up