Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Tell Parents?
Unregistered 02:46 PM 09-29-2014
I am a regular, but decided to post this as unregistered.

During the spring, right after my son started swiming lessons, he started to get small blisters all over his face. At the begining I thought it was a rash of some sort and would go away, but a couple of month passed by and I started to see more, so I took him to the Dr. She told me it is Moluscum and it is contagious. She asked me about the other dc kids, other people in my house and I told her no one else had the "rash" but him. I asked her if I should be concerned for the other dc kids and she said that if by then they had not got it, I should not be worry about it. I decided not to say anything because the Dr. said even when it was contagious, if they did not have it after all this time, well, they would not get it. I did tell one mom and it was because she asked about the "rash" so I told her everything the Dr said.

It has been more than 6 months and during this time, yes I have kissed and hugged my 4yo. I could not spend 4 months to a year ( duration of this moluscum thing ) without kissing him The thing is that last week I started to noticed a similar rash on my arms, and today in my face. My husband is clean, and other day care kids are still clean but should I tell the families about it? I'm not even sure I have the same thing, but believe I do?
I was not even worried about getting it or the other kids because it's been a while and it has been only my son, we believe he got it at the pool. So, again. Should I tell?
Thriftylady 03:50 PM 09-29-2014
I would go to the doctor ASAP and find out for sure. After treatment how long can you pass it on? I think if it is that, you will have to find a sub and take some time off. Not what you want to hear, but you can't risk spreading it.
Unregistered 04:08 PM 09-29-2014
There is not treatment. I mean there is, but most doctors advise to just wait for it to go away on it's own, and that takes from 4 months to a year, I've read that even longer. If I get him treatment it would be freezing them or burning them and that leaves scars. I believe there are some ointments also, but have to go to the office so they can apply it. If I do have it, then I guess I'll have to buy something even homeophatic. I just have not done it for him because when my Dr. said we should just wait, I came home and googled it and basically read the same thing.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:17 PM 09-29-2014
I would tell; I always do when there's something contagious. I would also share the dr's opinion that they may not get it. We had a child here with it, and he passed it to all the children. My daughter's lingered for more than 2 years. (!!) (If you get desperate, I'll tell you what we finally did to get rid of it.) During all that time, I did not do any water play, because it can be passed that way. I asked that all open sores be covered, either by clothing or bandages. Thank goodness, we finally got rid of it, but it sure can hang on!
Unregistered 04:18 PM 09-29-2014
My son had this, he got it from my cousin who had it really, really bad. We discovered that putting liquid bandaid on every sore got rid of it within a week or two. Also by using the liquid bandaid it didn't spread to anyone else. But you have to make sure to reapply often. It didn't work for my cousin because his mom was not consistent enough in keeping the sores covered.
Blackcat31 05:57 PM 09-29-2014
First off, I am sorry you are in this predicament.

I do think you already know the answer to your question and know the right thing to do. I think you are hoping that someone gives you a reason to not tell the parents but honestly, put yourself in their shoes. If they failed to tell you their child had something contagious you would be upset/hurt/angry etc.

Tell them. Gather as much information as you can and share with them the situation you are in.

This is when it is truly important, professional, ethical, moral and vital that you find a way to work together WITH the parents and do it honestly.

You'll feel better and might be pleasantly surprised. Your parents may be completely supportive and willing to stand by you and trust that you are managing your son's ailment in the safest and best way for everyone.
coolconfidentme 02:49 AM 09-30-2014
I am required to inform parents of DCKs exposure to a contagious disease. As hard it may be, you need to inform the parents. Think of the possible ramifications if you don't.
Shell 07:16 AM 09-30-2014
Agree with BC and pp- you do need to tell. Let them know he likely got it at a pool, you will cover with band aids, and dr said it's unlikely to spread if it hasn't at this point (although I have read it can take up to 1 yr to show up- I could be wrong). I wrote about this in another thread but, it's called molluscum contagiosum and it is contagious. Kids can spread it like crazy- happened at a dc center where I used to work. They have a pearly white center, that is the defining feature that can help you identify them. You can pop them, and the "pearl" comes out. Immediately wash hands, area, and cover with bandaid. Adults can use a cream called, Aldara, prescription and can be applied at home. Parents need to know that you are taking precautions about contact with the molluscum. This is a common thing, and doctors are pretty relaxed about it. My old boss tried to brush the outbreak we had of it under the rug, and I kept telling her you must cover them because little kids scratch and spread them. One child in my class had them, I made sure it was bandaged, and no one else got it. Younger kids were spreading them like crazy.
Unregistered 04:55 PM 09-30-2014
Thanks all for your input. He only has them on his face and have never popped open. He has around 7 or 10 right now. He never scratches them or plays with them, I don't even know if he is aware of them. I would like for them to go away sooner, so yes, if someone know a way please let me know.

Would you think that the same thing applies for classes out of home? He is starting some classes at a homeschool coop tomorrow, should I tell them as well?

See, my concern also is that he will be pushed away. Let's say I tell every single group I go to (homeschool groups) and music class (with other kids) then what if they either push him away or just ask us not to go?
Unregistered 07:31 PM 09-30-2014
For my daughter there was only one, and it was on her side. When it grew to the size of a pencil eraser head we had it removed. She had it for over a year I think at that point. It never came back. There is a slight mark, so I can understand not wanting to remove them from his face, yet I also hope he is not one who ends up having it 3 or 4 years. Usually if not covered by clothing they recommend a bandaid over top. Which would help protect from spreading for sure, but draw more attention to it on his face.
Crystal 12:56 PM 10-01-2014
I think that it should be treated just as you would expect a DCP to treat it. Everyone must be notified, and exclusion required if it is contagious and cannot be covered with clothing.

If it were a daycare parent not disclosing the information, how would you handle it?
Unregistered 09:04 AM 10-02-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My son had this, he got it from my cousin who had it really, really bad. We discovered that putting liquid bandaid on every sore got rid of it within a week or two. Also by using the liquid bandaid it didn't spread to anyone else. But you have to make sure to reapply often. It didn't work for my cousin because his mom was not consistent enough in keeping the sores covered.
When using the liquid bandage, how often did you applied it? Did you clean it off before the next application? I bought some, but he is 4 and he doesn't wants us messing with his face. So basically he won't let me clean it up, so I just apply a coat on top of the last one.
AmyKidsCo 09:10 AM 10-02-2014
I would tell them if you suspect you're contagious.
Unregistered 01:08 PM 10-02-2014
I don't think I am. Anyways, I told one family today, will tell the other one tomorrow when I see them. Turns out their child had it and she even told me how they got rid of it. Who knew? Phew!
Reply Up