Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bad Sleep Habits and Nail Polish
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:10 PM 01-13-2016
I have a 1yo dcb here that the first-time parents have allowed a dangerous and strange (imo) habit to become quite engrained. When he was a little guy, he would use a binky, but started to deny it just as soon he was big enough to take it out of his mouth and put other things in.

They revealed that at home, they allow - and encourage - him to suck the corner of one of those little mini blanket things with a stuffed animal attached at nap and bedtime. DCM told me about it, and it cleared up for me why he usually had to cry it out for a minute at nap. And why now he pulls the edge of the pnp sheet (cushy fleece Eddie Bauer ones) up and try to suckle it. It annoyed me, but it seems like every kid has his or her own little quirks, so I just let it be. I let her know I cannot allow it at DC, as they are not allowed to have anything with them in the pnp, and I wouldn't anyway cuz that's just cray-cray (not really, but I wanted to!).

But now, 6 months in, he is ruining the sheets by making little holes in them. I want DCM and DCD to replace them, but I would never tell them to. And I'm starting to worry what will happen when I move him to a mat in a few months (he's 14mo now). Have any of you had a kiddo do this? If so, how did you help them break the habit?

I also have a 4mo DCG that the first-time parents still swaddle her and put her to sleep in a glider bassinet. I have told them, too, that I cannot do either of those things, but they don't seem to care or worried about it. Gah.

Lastly, I have a 5yo DCG that usually has her nails painted.
Then she picks/peels the polish off, leaving little brightly colored bits for the crawlers and toddlers to find and eat. Would it be strange to implement a "no polish" rule? It seems mean, but I cannot get her to leave them alone when they are painted!
Leigh 12:31 PM 01-13-2016
I'd tell the parents of the "sucker" that he's eating your sheets and ask them to provide at least 3 sheets for his use at your home.

The nail polish? Of course you can ask them to send her without it.

The sleep issue? Best of luck with that one!
Blackcat31 12:40 PM 01-13-2016
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I have a 1yo dcb here that the first-time parents have allowed a dangerous and strange (imo) habit to become quite engrained. When he was a little guy, he would use a binky, but started to deny it just as soon he was big enough to take it out of his mouth and put other things in.

They revealed that at home, they allow - and encourage - him to suck the corner of one of those little mini blanket things with a stuffed animal attached at nap and bedtime. DCM told me about it, and it cleared up for me why he usually had to cry it out for a minute at nap. And why now he pulls the edge of the pnp sheet (cushy fleece Eddie Bauer ones) up and try to suckle it. It annoyed me, but it seems like every kid has his or her own little quirks, so I just let it be. I let her know I cannot allow it at DC, as they are not allowed to have anything with them in the pnp, and I wouldn't anyway cuz that's just cray-cray (not really, but I wanted to!).

But now, 6 months in, he is ruining the sheets by making little holes in them. I want DCM and DCD to replace them, but I would never tell them to. And I'm starting to worry what will happen when I move him to a mat in a few months (he's 14mo now). Have any of you had a kiddo do this? If so, how did you help them break the habit?

I also have a 4mo DCG that the first-time parents still swaddle her and put her to sleep in a glider bassinet. I have told them, too, that I cannot do either of those things, but they don't seem to care or worried about it. Gah.

Then she picks/peels the polish off, leaving little brightly colored bits for the crawlers and toddlers to find and eat. Would it be strange to implement a "no polish" rule? It seems mean, but I cannot get her to leave them alone when they are painted!
I see nothing wrong with asking parents to supply you with a sheet. Share your problems with them and tell them you prefer not to have to buy new sheets so if they could please send two (tell them the size etc) to daycare, it will save you from having to replace them.

As for the child who sleeps in a glider.... I just experienced something similar and at first it was not a big deal as the baby was fairly young yet so no bad "habits" were impressed upon baby. I continued to tell mom that she could not allow baby to sleep in the swing (baby would routinely nap 3-4 hours in swing) because it was not something I could replicate here. Mom knew, agreed and apparently just never changed her behaviors.

Baby started having trouble staying asleep here. I would relay to mom at end of day....mom of course was glad baby wasnt sleeping much here because you know sheer exhaustion always lends to an easy bed time

Fat forward and baby is now 7 months and will often wake shortly after falling asleep (apparently looking for that swaying/rocking motion of the swing that has kept baby sleeping for several months now.... ). Of course this does not mesh well in my daily routine and I simply refuse to keep a baby that is tired/crabby/cranky because they can't get decent sleep.

I also refuse to use CIO because even though the baby might be old enough, it's not the baby's fault these bad sleep foundations have been laid. This is baby #2 from this family so the family KNOWS my expectations very well.

What I decided to do to "fix" the situation was give the problem back to mom. I set up a guideline of actions....

I will attempt to nap baby at X time every day (same time)
I will attempt 3X. If nap is unsuccessful, baby goes home as soon as lack of sleep begins to show in behaviors/moods.

If baby goes to sleep but wakes and does not go back to sleep, I again send baby home.

Of course I consider other factors but spending all day every day with a baby allows you to "know" more about the baby than you could possibly be told...there are just some things you KNOW...kwim?

Anyways, baby was sent home 5 times in Dec. Mom didnt say much the first 2 times. She started to "vent" around the 3rd time.... I stopped her and reminded her that I warned her and she still choose to use the swing at home. Even admitted to allowing baby to sleep in the swing over night many times just so baby would sleep through the night. By the 5th time, mom had more than likely had enough.

I noticed a change in baby right after Christmas vacation. Big sibling even told me mommy gave the baby swing to a friend so baby sibling doesnt get to swing anymore.

Baby goes to sleep and stays asleep fine for me now.

As for the kids with nail polish.... ANY time something causes a potential safety hazard for the child themselves and/or others the parent is asked to stop allowing it. I would have ZERO issue telling parents that child can not attend with nail polish. Explain exactly why.

HTH
Snowmom 12:40 PM 01-13-2016
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:

My son used to do this with a stuffed animal as a toddler. It was gross and annoying when we'd be stuck searching all around the house for "grody bear". Since dcb is 14 months now, I'd just give him a thin blanket for nap time to cuddle. You could try and break him of the habit by interrupting his suckling every time he puts it in his mouth. But honestly, if his parents aren't curbing the habit at home, it'll be that much more difficult. The parents just need to go cold turkey and take away stuffed animal/binky. Try talking to them about their plans or thoughts on the habit. Maybe they want to break it now that he's older?

I would have a talk with mom about it. I'm sure that if you explain what is happening, she'd understand and stop painting them at least during the daycare week.
I replied in red
Unregistered 12:50 PM 01-14-2016
I have a very, very, very challenging group of brothers ages 2, 3, and 4 and I know they don't get enough sleep at night because mom told me, she is my sister. They walk in at 645am very sleepy. They do not go to bed at night until about 10pm sometimes later. Would it be wrong to put them on nap mats for extra sleep in the morning when they come maybe for an hour or so? What to do?
mommyneedsadayoff 02:24 PM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a very, very, very challenging group of brothers ages 2, 3, and 4 and I know they don't get enough sleep at night because mom told me, she is my sister. They walk in at 645am very sleepy. They do not go to bed at night until about 10pm sometimes later. Would it be wrong to put them on nap mats for extra sleep in the morning when they come maybe for an hour or so? What to do?
I would. They would go right back to bed and I would wake them around 8:30 for breakfast. I had a similar situation, but found that encouraging mom to get the child to bed earlier was fruitless. So, rather than deal with the crankiness all day, I just started putting dcg back to bed when she arrived and our days went much smoother.
Unregistered 02:52 PM 01-14-2016
Omg thanks. I wasn't sure if that was wrong or not but now I'm excited to try. Thanks
Tags:sleep - issues
Reply Up