Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Coughing!!!
cherryhill 09:17 AM 11-16-2011
Has anyone sent a kid home for coughing. It seems a little extreme, but this kid will not stop. His mom gave him cough medicine but it hasn't helped. He can not even eat without coughing on everyone.

thanks
Mrs. CC 09:35 AM 11-16-2011
I have been wondering this myself. DCG coughs on EVERYTHING and it is so gross. That and her nose. Been 3 weeks and her parents still don't do anything about it.
daycare 09:40 AM 11-16-2011
IMO if a child needs aid of medication to help them get through their day, they need to be at home.

I only take children with mild colds....

excessive coughing, excessive runny noses that keeps me having to constantly wiping must go home or stay home to begin with.

I also take into consideration the age of the child. If they mouth toys, cant blow their nose, etc. These children must be kept home. Theres no way to stop the spread of the germs....
cherryhill 09:53 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
IMO if a child needs aid of medication to help them get through their day, they need to be at home.

I only take children with mild colds....

excessive coughing, excessive runny noses that keeps me having to constantly wiping must go home or stay home to begin with.

I also take into consideration the age of the child. If they mouth toys, cant blow their nose, etc. These children must be kept home. Theres no way to stop the spread of the germs....

That is what I was thinking, but wanted to see what everyone thinks.
I am about 99% sure I will be sending him home after lunch. He feels a little warm, and I think mom medicated him before drop off.
caligirl 10:09 AM 11-16-2011

I Ditto this!
mommiesherie 10:12 AM 11-16-2011
I do agree but wondering about the parents who just have to work and have no back up. I mean a cough can last forever after they are better. I have 2 right now that sound terrible when the cough.
daycare 10:46 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by mommiesherie:
I do agree but wondering about the parents who just have to work and have no back up. I mean a cough can last forever after they are better. I have 2 right now that sound terrible when the cough.
is it to the point that they are coughing so hard that they are not able to function and are coughing all everyone else non stop?

If so, they haev to go home...
mommiesherie 10:54 AM 11-16-2011
is it to the point that they are coughing so hard that they are not able to function and are coughing all everyone else non stop?

If so, they haev to go home...
. Oh I do understand that. I have thought about sending some home also before. I just worry about parents and jobs. Sometimes you just have to send them especially if its that bad. I think I just feel really bad about sending them home sometimes.
Solandia 11:01 AM 11-16-2011
One of my kids get the croupy cough frequently...it last 2-3 weeks, I am so used to coughing from him. Cough meds are huge no-no's for my kids (asthma), and suppressing the cough leads to fluid in the lungs...leads to pneumonia...but that is for us.

However, if this is new for this child, very severe, hard to get a breath in, or coughing until almost puking, etc....I would send them home & straight on to the doctor. We have a moderate issue with Whooping Cough in our area...it is very contagious. Even if the kids are vaccinated, there is still like a 5-8% failure rate on immunity through vaccinate (huge, considering that most vaccines protective rates 98-99.9%.)

It is something to be on the lookout...whooping cough is become a major issue in many parts of the US.
countrymom 11:09 AM 11-16-2011
there's a difference between a cough and the nonstop bronchitis cough. I know it sounds stupid but if you with a child for 8 to 12 hours a day you know if they are going to be sick and is normal for them.
daycare 11:11 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by mommiesherie:
. Oh I do understand that. I have thought about sending some home also before. I just worry about parents and jobs. Sometimes you just have to send them especially if its that bad. I think I just feel really bad about sending them home sometimes.
I feel bad too, but its part of being a parent and why I really emphasize how important it is to have back up care if you can't miss work.

I feel worse about getting the other children sick or my own family..
Unregistered 12:15 PM 11-16-2011
I send kids home if the child is coughing so much that it interrupts their ability to sleep, eat, drink and breathe in comfort. I also send home if the cough is accompanied by any other symptoms. If a child is too young to cover their coughs and the coughing is frequent, then I send them home.
Tags:cough, cough - too much, cough medicine, coughing
Reply Up