Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training
mamamanda 09:51 AM 03-23-2018
Dcb is doing well with potty training. He is right at 2 & a half. He uses the potty 4-5 times a day. But he almost always poops in his pullups. And he poops 2-3 times a day. And always very soft. My issue is that he doesn't tell me that he's pooped, just says he has to potty. When we walk into the bathroom & he pulls his pants down it smears all over his legs. I guess I'm going to have to start checking him before I let him enter the bathroom each time.

This morning I was feeding the baby a bottle when he had to potty so I walked near the bathroom door to be available to him, but didn't go in. He had it all over himself. Needless to say I had to put the baby down & finish feeding her after I cleaned him up.

Anyone else have a little one struggle with this?
Pestle 09:57 AM 03-23-2018
I have not. Are they the pull-ups that peel open on the sides, or the kind that don't open? (I hate those!) Could you either train him to open his pull-ups instead of stepping out of them, or put him back in diapers until he has his bowel movements figured out?

I am all for child-led toilet learning, but this is just unsanitary. 2-3 BMs per day at that age is excessive.

storybookending 10:12 AM 03-23-2018
The child would be put back in diapers here. I do not like pull ups but allow them once I have trust with the child right before moving full time to underwear.
Ariana 10:16 AM 03-23-2018
Kids who take forever to poop train are pretty draining! My own child took until 4 to poop train so I have been there done that many times I have had to throw her in the shower to clean her. My suggestion is to check him before he goes and buy some flushable wipes. Maybe also start labeling poop vs pee. So ask him “do you need to poop or pee” so he can identify the different sensations. It sounds like he poops and then realizes it before he holds it to make it to the toilet.
mamamanda 10:28 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I have not. Are they the pull-ups that peel open on the sides, or the kind that don't open? (I hate those!) Could you either train him to open his pull-ups instead of stepping out of them, or put him back in diapers until he has his bowel movements figured out?

I am all for child-led toilet learning, but this is just unsanitary. 2-3 BMs per day at that age is excessive.

They're not the pullups that open. I've always been curious about why he poops so much.
mamamanda 10:29 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
The child would be put back in diapers here. I do not like pull ups but allow them once I have trust with the child right before moving full time to underwear.
It's my fault actually. I asked for pullups b/c he loves the independence. Maybe I jumped the gun on this one.
mamamanda 10:30 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Kids who take forever to poop train are pretty draining! My own child took until 4 to poop train so I have been there done that many times I have had to throw her in the shower to clean her. My suggestion is to check him before he goes and buy some flushable wipes. Maybe also start labeling poop vs pee. So ask him “do you need to poop or pee” so he can identify the different sensations. It sounds like he poops and then realizes it before he holds it to make it to the toilet.
Great idea! Try to help him identify the difference. Sometimes he actually stops & says "I'm pooping." Other times he doesn't say anything at all.
Ariana 10:31 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
They're not the pullups that open. I've always been curious about why he poops so much.
My daughter poops this much. Eats like a horse and poops like one too
mamamanda 10:35 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My daughter poops this much. Eats like a horse and poops like one too

Leigh 11:00 AM 03-23-2018
Dcb is doing well with potty training. He is right at 2 & a half. He uses the potty 4-5 times a day. But he almost always poops in his pullups. And he poops 2-3 times a day. And always very soft. My issue is that he doesn't tell me that he's pooped, just says he has to potty. When we walk into the bathroom & he pulls his pants down it smears all over his legs. I guess I'm going to have to start checking him before I let him enter the bathroom each time.

This morning I was feeding the baby a bottle when he had to potty so I walked near the bathroom door to be available to him, but didn't go in. He had it all over himself. Needless to say I had to put the baby down & finish feeding her after I cleaned him up.

Anyone else have a little one struggle with this?
I don't allow a kid out of diapers until they are already potty trained. I loathe pull ups (they rarely contain poop), and won't let a kid pee and poop in underwear. I would put him in diapers and keep working until he stops pooping his pants.
storybookending 11:00 AM 03-23-2018
It's my fault actually. I asked for pullups b/c he loves the independence. Maybe I jumped the gun on this one.
I have only been doing this in home for almost two years. I have only had two potty train while in my care so far. My current 3.75 year olds both potty trained in September of 2016. You learn a lot the more you deal with things. I didn’t know I hated training pants until dealing with one of those girls having a similar issue on being pee trained but not poop trained. Now policy is dry diapers for 2 weeks before underwear. I don’t mind pull ups after that point for nap if the child can deal with getting them on/off themselves.
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 03-23-2018
He’s not potty trained.

He’s clearly got a great grasp on the BEGINNING stages of potty training.
It’s a good start.

NO way I am cleaning up smeared poop 2-3 times a day
Tags:potty training
Reply Up