Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>4 Blank Walls And Room Dedicated To Daycare...
Abigail 09:54 PM 01-24-2011
4 blank walls and room dedicated to daycare...LOL sounds like a title to a book on daycare designing. ha ha.

Walls..... I would paint at least one wall blue and sponge white clouds on the top part and all my other walls would be white or if I had lots of sunlight and a light blue I would paint more walls the blue with sponged clouds. I also would like a nature-friendly simple mural of a tree, some grass, and maybe a picket-fence? I also want a parent board, clock, and take-home cubbys near the door.

Floors....I would love to have carpet on 66%-75% of the daycare space that is easy to clean and durable. I would also like the craft/food area to be on linoleum floor for easy clean ups.

Furniture....I want to have small baskets to organize small toys like cars, legos, and action figures. I want to have two nice deep shelves for organizing regular toys making it easy for clean up to have things off the floor. I would like to have a book shelf and a kid-sized table and chairs. I would also like a rocking chair and couch/love seat as options for adult sitting.

I wish designers were out there just for daycare homes. Wouldn't that be wonderful?!
DCMomOf3 10:28 AM 01-25-2011
that WOULD be wonderful. I actually looked online for an app. or some examples but only found for school rooms, not for preschool/daycare or straight daycare. And the one's I did find were from stores wanting to sell THEIR stuff.
kendallina 10:47 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:

I wish designers were out there just for daycare homes. Wouldn't that be wonderful?!
There actually are! No doubt they're expensive, though . I once went to a workshop presented by a woman who ran a business in designing early childhood environments.
Missani 12:12 PM 01-25-2011
Abigail, I think you have my taste! So, I think you don't need a designer! I wish I could post some pictures (I missed the tutorial and don't know how). I have 2 blue walls and the rest of the long room (4 walls or so of different lengths) are a beige color. On the blue walls, I have a tree mural made of the removable stickers. The carpet is off white color with a green shaggy rug that we use for circle time. I have a small tiled room off to the side with green walls that we use for eating, art, etc. The toys are sorted into bins of light blue, dark blue, green and brown and are on deep separated shelves that are a natural color. I use my basement for child care and I really like the way it turned out. It really is fun to design (I've dreamed about it for years) but it is a lot of work. Good luck!
AmandasFCC 12:19 PM 01-25-2011
Your ideal space sounds a lot like mine Only my walls are pastel yellow and pastel green (very cheerful but relaxing), and my entry way is sky blue. I have cubbies right as you come down the stairs to my basement (playroom), and hooks for coats and backpacks. A lovely little table and stool set for the kids from Ikea. Short shelves with baskets for each type of toy, plus one of those shelves with the multicoloured baskets that sit on an angle .. I have a cold, brain isn't functioning quite right and I can't think of any better way to describe it lol...

I have a foam tree, about 4 ft tall, where I display crafts and stuff. Each season we change the tree to make it relevant - right now it has snow flakes on it. In the fall it had red, orange, yellow, brown and green leaves on it .. etc. It has a string with clothespins above it where I display their paintings, etc. And in my window sills we have our other crafts. Right now they have toilet paper roll penguins in them

I love my space, honestly
Missani 12:20 PM 01-25-2011
AmandasFCC, do you have pictures? I would love to see them!
busymomof2 12:38 PM 01-25-2011
My daycare room is not painted although I would love to. Have been thinking about a city. Here are some photos of a mural I painted upstairs for my kids private playroom- it's my neighborhood. I even painted our house with our address on it. It is low enough that they can ride cars on the street. The other two photos are of my son's room- safari theme. Maybe you can do animals. This I painted projecting transparancies onto the wall. I saw a great mural on the internet of a yellow clock in the center of a yellow sun someone drew on the wall. Just some ideas.
Attached: 100_7450.jpg (48.4 KB) 100_7449.jpg (41.3 KB) 100_7451.jpg (51.1 KB) 100_7448.jpg (49.7 KB) 
busymomof2 12:40 PM 01-25-2011
Here are the other two photos.
Attached: 100_7453.jpg (99.0 KB) 100_7452.jpg (54.4 KB) 
AmandasFCC 07:17 PM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by Missani:
AmandasFCC, do you have pictures? I would love to see them!
I don't know how to post pictures, but I do have new pics;
Abigail 11:14 PM 01-26-2011
Amanda, you have wonderful pictures! What is beneath your "built-in" changing area? If you want to post pictures, when you are creating a new post you will have two rows of options above the 'typing box' that I'm typing in right now....lol, see how great I give instructions (the thing and the thing) Click on the Paperclip Icon and that will bring up another box that you can browse for photos and when you find them make sure you click Upload then Save/Continue at the bottom.
Little People 05:00 AM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
I don't know how to post pictures, but I do have new pics.
I like your website! I really like the "Why Home DayCare", mind if I use this on my website?
AmandasFCC 05:57 AM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Amanda, you have wonderful pictures! What is beneath your "built-in" changing area? If you want to post pictures, when you are creating a new post you will have two rows of options above the 'typing box' that I'm typing in right now....lol, see how great I give instructions (the thing and the thing) Click on the Paperclip Icon and that will bring up another box that you can browse for photos and when you find them make sure you click Upload then Save/Continue at the bottom.
At the time I took that picture, it was a giant pillow that I was waiting to have a cover made for. Now that pillow is in my reading/relaxation area, and under my changing area I have one of those storage units on wheels with 4 drawers, which holds extra clothing and diapers that have been donated to me.

Little People, I don't mind at all I wrote that up for an open house I held and now I have it posted in the entry to my daycare
Michael 03:46 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
I don't know how to post pictures, but I do have new pics.
This one is easy. Since you already have the pics on the internet, just right click on the picture and you will see PROPERTIES of the image. Just copy the link (http://amandasfamilychildcare.webs.com/CIMG2111.JPG) and when you are posting you will see a mountain icon . Click on it and paste the URL address into the space provided. It will appear in your post like this:

Tags:clean, daycare room, daycare space, design, furniture, organize, percentage, pictures
Reply Up