Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Can An Assistant Do?
Unregistered 06:52 PM 01-21-2015
I work in a center and we have a question as in myself and another teacher. In the licensing book when it says an assistant can work with children as long as they are with a teacher what does it mean by assistant? Can anyone be an assistant or must they have some sort of units?
racemom 06:58 PM 01-21-2015
It may vary from state to state, but our assistants can do everything with the children, that a teacher can except be in a room alone. They are not required to have any background or classes in childcare, but must take the yearly training required of all staff.
Play Care 03:07 AM 01-22-2015
This is definitely different from state to state. Here (NYS) an assistant must have the same background checks and training as the provider and can be left alone with the kids. A substitute must have a background check and CPR/First Aid and can be left alone with the children but only for a certain amount of time per year. Volunteers can come in the program without those things but they can never be left alone with the kids.

On a personal note, I have a sub who comes in occasionally and I wouldn't bother if she couldn't be alone with the kids. The whole reason I have her come in (and pay her well) is so that I can make appointments and such that would be impossible after hours, and not miss out on things with my own children at their school.
Febby 11:58 AM 01-22-2015
It depends on the state. In some states, assistants have to meet the same requirements as teachers. In some states, they have different requirements. Try asking your director.
Heidi 12:16 PM 01-22-2015
[quote=Play Care;519156]This is definitely different from state to state. Here (NYS) an assistant must have the same background checks and training as the provider and can be left alone with the kids. A substitute must have a background check and CPR/First Aid and can be left alone with the children but only for a certain amount of time per year. Volunteers can come in the program without those things but they can never be left alone with the kids.

Pretty much the same in WI.
Reply Up