Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questions About Subbing?
Unregistered 10:11 PM 06-12-2020
So I have an interview Friday for a regular sub position. I've never been a sub only done assistant teaching work. People said I should get multiple sub jobs to test out all the diffrent centers around me and see which one I like best. My only issues with that is what if two centers need me on a certain day?

The preschool I'm going in for an interview is 8:30-3:30. 1:30-3:30 is optinal to parents. Not sure hoe many kids stay till 3:30, the school only has 34 students in total. I thought about working in after care 2:00-6:00 because I'll have a set par-time job and will be making some extra cash subbing.

I'm not sure about aftercare though because what if they need me till 3:30 one day? Should I get the job as a sub and then in August when schools open up apply to work in after care? Would I tell the after care people that I sometimes sub and may have to call out on certain days?

How many days a week did you work as a sub? Is it as stressful as I'm making it out to be? I just don't want two jobs to clash. Then if a teacher is out on leave I'll have to leave the after school job for a while (if they need me till 3:30). I guess I'll talk to the director and ask her the hours during my interview.

Should I just get like 3 sub jobs? Maybe babysitting?
Michael 11:37 PM 06-12-2020
Here some threads on substitutes: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=substitute
DaveA 04:38 AM 06-13-2020
I subbed for multiple centers for about a year before one of my favorite ones offered me a spot. I think I was a sub for 8 centers technically by the time I was done. Half of those started as 1 time things- covering a medical leave or vacation. I could keep as busy as i wanted depending on what I wanted to do.

Organization is key. I did this pre smart phone. You need to make sure you keep every thing written down to a T to avoid accidently double booking yourself or agreeing to a time you can't do.

You are basically an outside consultant. Don't be afraid to negotiate a higher rate for yourself.

I always did first come first serve. I wouldn't back out of one center's job because one that paid more needed a spot the same day.

I kept lesson plans/ activity packs for various age groups ready. That way if I got thrown into a room that was a disaster (happens frequently) I was ready to hit the ground running.

There will be some 500am "need someone in 45 minutes" phone calls. Annoying but just part of the deal.
Most jurisdictions do not make subbing easy. There is no childcare equivalent of traveling nurses. You'll probably have to go through the hiring process for each place you want to sub at. Makes things challenging when you get a call from a director Sunday noon because teacher broke their leg last night and they need a teacher for 4 weeks stating Monday.

It can be done and can be rewarding. Good luck with it.
Tags:assistant - manual, substitute
Reply Up