Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Say Something or See How It Plays Out?
Baby Beluga 05:47 AM 02-26-2018
DCM posted on a local FB group last night asking for recommendations on a location preschool. Do I say something? Not in the finger wagging "I saw what you posted way" but more in the "I saw what you posted and just wanted to touch base you regarding your satisfaction here" type way?

This DCM has given no indication that she is unhappy here. Zero. If anything I get weekly texts thanking me. So I'm a bit confused. Maybe she just wants a brick and mortar?
storybookending 06:14 AM 02-26-2018
I think family child cares are considered by some to be a stepping stone before preschool while most of us are running programs better than local preschools. Maybe it’s a prestige thing. In my district they push the 4K program like no other basically making parents feel as if their child doesn’t attend that they are setting them up for failure/they are going to be behind when it comes to K. All I know is my 3s that will be attending 4K in the fall already have mastered almost all of the skills on the districts “Kindergarten Ready” check list on their website. I’m just thankful our 4K is only a 3 hour program and only the private/church 4Ks have any option for aftercare so I don’t really lose busines from it.
Unregistered 06:32 AM 02-26-2018
In my area preschool (or as I like to refer to it-free daycare) is all the rage! They start them out two full days a week at age three and at 4 they go three full days. They provide bus transportation and MANY parents opt to send their kids to it It has hurt a lot of small home based Daycare’s here
Ariana 08:09 AM 02-26-2018
My daycare parent told me she has her kid in a Monday morning preschool class. She never once mentioned to me that she wanted him to learn his letters and numbers in a concrete way. She is an ECE like me so I thought we were on the same page. It threw me for a loop because I would have gladly did that with him for the money she is paying the preschool.

I didn’t really say anything about it and in your case I wouldn’t say anything either. Maybe just bring up whether or not she wanted you to do more preschool type stuff with him and see what she says?
Baby Beluga 08:43 AM 02-26-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My daycare parent told me she has her kid in a Monday morning preschool class. She never once mentioned to me that she wanted him to learn his letters and numbers in a concrete way. She is an ECE like me so I thought we were on the same page. It threw me for a loop because I would have gladly did that with him for the money she is paying the preschool.

I didn’t really say anything about it and in your case I wouldn’t say anything either. Maybe just bring up whether or not she wanted you to do more preschool type stuff with him and see what she says?
That what confused me though. I am more of a preschool type environment. I advertise myself as an educational in-home daycare and preschool. I have weekly learning themes as well as monthly learning goals. For example, this week our learning theme is Dr Suess and February's learning goals are:

Letters: N and O
Colors: Red and Pink
Shape: Heart
Math Concept: Patterning
Opposite Pair: Clean and Dirty
Positive Social Goal: Caring for Others
Sight Word: in

I have parents who have enrolled their children with me for their last year before starting K so I can assist them in K prep.

So, it has to be something. I am more curious about asking so I can see if it is something I can fix for future clients vs wanting this one to stay. I don't want this one to go, but it's like a break up...once the thought of leaving is there, they are already gone.
Rockgirl 08:59 AM 02-26-2018
Some parents think kids are “supposed” to go to a formal preschool....that it’s just the next logical step. Personally, I wouldn’t mention it.
LittleScholars 09:38 AM 02-26-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
DCM posted on a local FB group last night asking for recommendations on a location preschool. Do I say something? Not in the finger wagging "I saw what you posted way" but more in the "I saw what you posted and just wanted to touch base you regarding your satisfaction here" type way?

This DCM has given no indication that she is unhappy here. Zero. If anything I get weekly texts thanking me. So I'm a bit confused. Maybe she just wants a brick and mortar?
I also offer a preschool program and had one family opt to send their child to a very expensive private preschool when he turned 3. She didn't assume it would offend me at all, and talked about it like it was the obvious next step. The truth is is didn't offend me in the slightest, although I'm confident he would have learned just as much here. I currently have her younger child and I imagine he will head off to a larger program when he ages into it.

I would bring it up, but only because I would want to know about future enrollment. I would also assume she didn't mind me knowing about the transition or discussing it because she posted it publicly. I wouldn't take it personally at all.
daycarediva 09:43 AM 02-26-2018
Here it is not expected to attend a formal prek class. The school district charges for it (no aftercare included) at my same weekly rate for the earliest pick up time. So I am not worried about losing business. If I lose some four's to private prek I wouldn't be surprised, most of my kids are PT and grandma is opposite me so parents could make the switch and have grandma pick up after 1/2 day private prek. There aren't many in easy driving distance, though.

I run an educational, play based program.
Annalee 09:59 AM 02-26-2018
When the prek system first began, it did offend me for my dck to go and made me sad amd frustrated, but now it just is what it is....no matter what I offer, I can't compete with FREE.... and more and more schools are offering extended day programs for a very, very small fee which takes care of these kids till 5:30 in the evening....win/win for clients when it comes to money....but not when it comes to "best practice"....but money speaks LOUDEST!!!!!
Baby Beluga 10:15 AM 02-26-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
When the prek system first began, it did offend me for my dck to go and made me sad amd frustrated, but now it just is what it is....no matter what I offer, I can't compete with FREE.... and more and more schools are offering extended day programs for a very, very small fee which takes care of these kids till 5:30 in the evening....win/win for clients when it comes to money....but not when it comes to "best practice"....but money speaks LOUDEST!!!!!
This is so true.

Free Pre-K hasn't started in my city...yet. The school districts offer lower cost preschools that are 3ish hours long, and the high school students often help run the program. The particular preschool this mom posted about it a Christian based for profit brick and mortar school. And it would cost about $300 more per month. DCM's work pays for childcare/preschool/daycare/what have you, so I don't think cost is a huge factor for them.

I'm just curious since mom is so complimentary and verbally thankful (who knows her real feelings though?) why the change. Unless she just really believes a brick and mortar school is the next step.

On a side note, one of our local elementary schools offers aftercare from 3pm - 6:00pm for $9 per day. It seems very low to me. Before school and after school is $15 per day. So essentially your child can be away from home from 6:30am - 6:00pm for $15 per day
amberrose3dg 10:24 AM 02-26-2018
This is so true.

Free Pre-K hasn't started in my city...yet. The school districts offer lower cost preschools that are 3ish hours long, and the high school students often help run the program. The particular preschool this mom posted about it a Christian based for profit brick and mortar school. And it would cost about $300 more per month. DCM's work pays for childcare/preschool/daycare/what have you, so I don't think cost is a huge factor for them.

I'm just curious since mom is so complimentary and verbally thankful (who knows her real feelings though?) why the change. Unless she just really believes a brick and mortar school is the next step.

On a side note, one of our local elementary schools offers aftercare from 3pm - 6:00pm for $9 per day. It seems very low to me. Before school and after school is $15 per day. So essentially your child can be away from home from 6:30am - 6:00pm for $15 per day
That is crazy. We have "Free" pre-k i guess but it is really hard to get into. Basically the low income families and the kids with learning disabilities get in first.There are 3 classrooms offered and around 18 kids in each classroom. That is not a lot of spaces for a town of 5,000. There is still somewhat a big need for daycare for pre-k ages. most parents here do not want to pay for private pre-k and a big portion want cheap/discounted daycare. I would love to do a pre-k program and curriculum but found it to not be of importance or valued.
Our teachers are currently on strike and a lot of parents are angry that they are being inconvenienced instead of looking at the bigger picture.
Country Kids 10:30 AM 02-26-2018
This is so true.

In the end though that still comes out to $330 dollars monthly at $15 dollars a day. Seems pretty high for school age still but sad if parents feel the need to have them gone that long. I do have children in my care though open to close, so I do know it happens.
Annalee 10:31 AM 02-26-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
That is crazy. We have "Free" pre-k i guess but it is really hard to get into. Basically the low income families and the kids with learning disabilities get in first.There are 3 classrooms offered and around 18 kids in each classroom. That is not a lot of spaces for a town of 5,000. There is still somewhat a big need for daycare for pre-k ages. most parents here do not want to pay for private pre-k and a big portion want cheap/discounted daycare. I would love to do a pre-k program and curriculum but found it to not be of importance or valued.
Our teachers are currently on strike and a lot of parents are angry that they are being inconvenienced instead of looking at the bigger picture.
Here the income qualified come first but then they offer to anyone....When it first started, I had parents come in crying and blaming it on the opposite spouse.....Now I am like um...no....keep your tears and faults to yourself just give me my two week notice...You are making a choice YOU want to make...it's not that hard!
Annalee 10:34 AM 02-26-2018
FWIW, I am not cold-hearted, just put all I've got into my business and teach, train, etc. all for someone to tell me I can't prepare a kid the final year of daycare for Kindy so they go to Prek at 4. I just got over the "blaming myself" part....in the end, the clients are choosing "FREE". I currently have 5 four year olds and I look for three of them to go to prek.
Baby Beluga 10:42 AM 02-26-2018
FWIW, I am not cold-hearted, just put all I've got into my business and teach, train, etc. all for someone to tell me I can't prepare a kid the final year of daycare for Kindy so they go to Prek at 4. I just got over the "blaming myself" part....in the end, the clients are choosing "FREE". I currently have 5 four year olds and I look for three of them to go to prek.
I don't think you're cold hearted at all. If anything, I am in the blaming myself stage and wish I weren't.
Baby Beluga 10:47 AM 02-26-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
In the end though that still comes out to $330 dollars monthly at $15 dollars a day. Seems pretty high for school age still but sad if parents feel the need to have them gone that long. I do have children in my care though open to close, so I do know it happens.
I thought it was low, but maybe SA is the difference? My last check, preschools in my area charged $35 per day for 8am - 4pm with an additional $10 per day for extended hours which are 7am - 6pm. So, $45 per day. Some of the regular daycare's go as high as $55 per day. But I guess that's were government funding per head comes in for the SA student's during school hours
amberrose3dg 10:55 AM 02-26-2018
Here the income qualified come first but then they offer to anyone....When it first started, I had parents come in crying and blaming it on the opposite spouse.....Now I am like um...no....keep your tears and faults to yourself just give me my two week notice...You are making a choice YOU want to make...it's not that hard!
They offer it here to anyone but usually the spaces are full. We only have 54 spaces for the entire town.I feel bad that most parents I speak to only care about education if it is free or cheap to them.I think the ones that care about education go to the private schools that offer school from age 2 on up. It costs about 12,000 a year here.
Country Kids 10:59 AM 02-26-2018
I thought it was low, but maybe SA is the difference? My last check, preschools in my area charged $35 per day for 8am - 4pm with an additional $10 per day for extended hours which are 7am - 6pm. So, $45 per day. Some of the regular daycare's go as high as $55 per day. But I guess that's were government funding per head comes in for the SA student's during school hours
SA aren't in care though all day because of being in school. Wondering what they change for day's off of school? I charge $75 a month for before or after school care and $150 a month for before and after school care. On days off from school it is an additional $25 a day.
Annalee 11:01 AM 02-26-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
They offer it here to anyone but usually the spaces are full. We only have 54 spaces for the entire town.I feel bad that most parents I speak to only care about education if it is free or cheap to them.I think the ones that care about education go to the private schools that offer school from age 2 on up. It costs about 12,000 a year here.
The schools get federal money here so they want the classroom full; if a child misses too many days they get booted to fill with a full-time slot. And I don't feel it is about education for parents here but about "free"...
Sunchimes 05:20 PM 02-26-2018
We have free Pre-K here for all kids who are 4 before Sept 1. It is through the public school, regular school hours. I believe it is optional, but everyone considers it "starting school" and I haven't heard of anyone declining it. Well, there are a few who send their kids to the one church based school. The Boys & Girls Club provides really cheap after school care in the Pre-K building. The first August after they turn 4, they leave me. To make it harder on daycares, the school district has a subsidized daycare for almost no cost. I never get teachers kids.
Ariana 02:52 PM 02-27-2018
That what confused me though. I am more of a preschool type environment. I advertise myself as an educational in-home daycare and preschool. I have weekly learning themes as well as monthly learning goals. For example, this week our learning theme is Dr Suess and February's learning goals are:

Letters: N and O
Colors: Red and Pink
Shape: Heart
Math Concept: Patterning
Opposite Pair: Clean and Dirty
Positive Social Goal: Caring for Others
Sight Word: in

I have parents who have enrolled their children with me for their last year before starting K so I can assist them in K prep.

So, it has to be something. I am more curious about asking so I can see if it is something I can fix for future clients vs wanting this one to stay. I don't want this one to go, but it's like a break up...once the thought of leaving is there, they are already gone.
Ah ok that makes no sense at all then!!
Pandaluver21 07:22 PM 02-27-2018
I am a preschool program, 100%. Not a daycare, a preschool with 4 different classes depending on age. I have still had people either contact me and ask if I would pick their kid up after preschool, or clients that opted to do a morning preschool program to save them some money. The thing is, she also wanted me to take him and pick him up each day.. and it was only 2 hours...
Most "free" preschools here are for children with special needs, or that are significantly behind academically. She had him tested and then got MAD at me, that he tested too high to get in for free...
Tags:competition
Reply Up