Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Non Sleeping Baby.....Any Advice Will Help
KBCsMommy 09:18 AM 12-06-2011
The same infant I have been having issues with for the last month. Its been 30 days since my last post on this kid and its getting worse

9 mo dcb. Takes 15 minute naps. No kidding.

He arrives at 7:30. I feed him right away. Diaper change. Into bed.

Cries and cries and cries. Falls asleep usually for 15 minutes. If hes lucky 30 min. Then cries and cries and cries.

Lullaby music on. Room dark.

We do the exact same thing EVERY day. Im at my wits end. This baby is only sleeping 30- 45 mins when hes here for 9 hours. Its like everyday is his first day. Ive been caring for him since he was 5 wks.

Does anyone have any advice?? I mean ANYTHING......
Zoe 09:21 AM 12-06-2011
Have you thought of if he has reflux? He might be in pain when he's laid down, making it difficult to sleep.
Meyou 10:02 AM 12-06-2011
I would ask about a doctor visit to check for reflux and food allergies. After 30 days CIO should have worked unless there is a pain related reason.
Ariana 10:07 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I would ask about a doctor visit to check for reflux and food allergies. After 30 days CIO should have worked unless there is a pain related reason.
Sounds like something is going on like this. Definately not normal to have this happening still.
lisa@tinytots 10:10 AM 12-06-2011
It's one of the most difficult things to deal with as a daycare provider. I have had plenty of babies like that. Does the baby stop crying when he is in the play area or when you hold him or her?
Heidi 10:14 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
The same infant I have been having issues with for the last month. Its been 30 days since my last post on this kid and its getting worse

9 mo dcb. Takes 15 minute naps. No kidding.

He arrives at 7:30. I feed him right away. Diaper change. Into bed.

Cries and cries and cries. Falls asleep usually for 15 minutes. If hes lucky 30 min. Then cries and cries and cries.

Lullaby music on. Room dark.

We do the exact same thing EVERY day. Im at my wits end. This baby is only sleeping 30- 45 mins when hes here for 9 hours. Its like everyday is his first day. Ive been caring for him since he was 5 wks.

Does anyone have any advice?? I mean ANYTHING......
Are you sure he is not going to bed with a bottle, a binky, or mom at home? My sister has one who sleeps with mom AND a bottle...arrgg

I assume he can roll over? Some kids are better sleepers on their tummies (mine were), but since we cant (and shouldn't) lay them on their tummies, they don't sleep as well until they can roll over. All my back-to-sleep babies sleep on their tummies now (15-21 mos), butts in the air...lol
KBCsMommy 10:48 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Ive talked with the parents several times about it. They have no issues at home with him. Since its not affecting them, its a non issue. YKWIM.

Parents claim he sleeps perfectly fine every night in his own crib. And I think they may be putting him to sleep as soon as they get home too. Hence sleeping babies are easier to take care of than awake babies!

So for me is a no win situation.

The baby is a sleep fighter and has been since day 1. He was on a great sleeping schedule weeks and weeks ago. 1 1/2 hrs in the morning and afternoon. Then he caught a stomach bug and was home for a week.

Since that and over Thanksgiving break its been an uphill battle.

Should I just give it up and let him stay up???
KBCsMommy 10:49 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
Are you sure he is not going to bed with a bottle, a binky, or mom at home? My sister has one who sleeps with mom AND a bottle...arrgg

I assume he can roll over? Some kids are better sleepers on their tummies (mine were), but since we cant (and shouldn't) lay them on their tummies, they don't sleep as well until they can roll over. All my back-to-sleep babies sleep on their tummies now (15-21 mos), butts in the air...lol
LOL!! When I put him in his crib he does that!!

Rolls over, thumb in mouth, Butt in the air!!!! Then cry, cry, cry!!!
cheerfuldom 10:56 AM 12-06-2011
I get the feeling that the parents are lying. They are doing something at home that helps him "sleep perfectly". Get more details.....are you sure they are not rocking him, offering a binky, nursing to sleep, bringing him into their bed when he wakes up crying.....something is going on here. Babies that young don't just stay up all day for no reason. If you are being consistent on your schedule and doing CIO, then it is weird that he is going over one month of crying all day. What is his diet like? He's about the age when parents may start giving lots of junk food, juice in the bottle, maybe even milk already.
AfterSchoolMom 11:05 AM 12-06-2011
How long has he been awake btt he gets to your house, and how long is he up once he gets there? Could it be that he's just not up long enough to be tired enough for his AM nap?
Heidi 11:07 AM 12-06-2011
I don't know how many you have in your group. Is everyone else on the same schedule?

I would let him have his "mini nap" in the morning, then put him down with the group (assuming you have one) in the afternoon.

HEre is our nap routine:

After lunch, we all brush out teeth (the babies and toddlers get their tooth brushes at the table, and I usually sing "you brush your teeth...ch ch ch ch" ala Raffi. Then, I go around and close curtains, etc, singning "nighty nighty nighty night..." an inane tune, you could pick something better.

My best nappers, I tuck into bed, and give hugs and kisses. Then, I take the not-so-happy nappers. They SEE everyone going to bed, and I take them each to theirs. I sing them nighty nighty as I go, lay them down with a cuddle and a kiss, then go. Since I have twin reluctant nappers, I have them in opposite corners of the house so they can't hear each other.

If someone wakes up early (and they do some days), I go in quietly and tuck them back in, a light pat on the back, and sneak back out. I rarely now have to pat anyone, but occasionally have to cover someone back up.

If they stand up, I lay them down "it is still nap time, everyone is sleeping", I whisper. In the beginning, you may have to go in there every 15 minutes, but no more often than that.

When nap time is over (mine is 12-3, you do what works for your group), I used to go around singing loudly "ITS 3 OCLOCK IT"S TIME TO WAKE UP"...happy happy sunshine (I would do the same thing if they got up at 2:55 or 3:10). Then they know "Oh, NOW she is comming to get me". If they don't hear the song, it's not time to get up. I don't have to do it anymore. Finally, most days all 5 of mine wake up happy and rarin' to go!

NO, don't give up on naps. He's 9 months old . He needs sleep, and you need a break. Turn on a fan outside his room so you can't hear his crying quite so well, and so no one else can hear him.
KBCsMommy 12:55 PM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I get the feeling that the parents are lying. They are doing something at home that helps him "sleep perfectly". Get more details.....are you sure they are not rocking him, offering a binky, nursing to sleep, bringing him into their bed when he wakes up crying.....something is going on here. Babies that young don't just stay up all day for no reason. If you are being consistent on your schedule and doing CIO, then it is weird that he is going over one month of crying all day. What is his diet like? He's about the age when parents may start giving lots of junk food, juice in the bottle, maybe even milk already.
I completely think you are right. But parents are insisting hes fine. Parents are super busy people so they eat out alot. Here we do the food program. Im sure its something along those lones of what you said.

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
How long has he been awake btt he gets to your house, and how long is he up once he gets there? Could it be that he's just not up long enough to be tired enough for his AM nap?
I thought this too. But even if hes only sleeping a power nap in the mornings. He should sleep fine in the afternoons.

Would any of you term over something like this? Sometimes I think I should but they are a great family. Pay on time, super friendly, pick up and drop off at appropriate times. But the constant crying can be very stressfull.
cheerfuldom 03:14 PM 12-06-2011
I have termed over constant crying but that was back when I was doing daycare in a very small house. We did not have the space or the patient to deal with prolonged crying. Now, its no problem. Our house is more than twice the size of our last, everyone has their own room to sleep in. Anyway, if you really feel like you are on your last nerve with this little one, have a frank conversation with the parents and get this resolved. At this point, you have been doing your plan and CIO for a month with no results, correct? and hes full time? Dont feel bad to admit that you (and the other kids) cannot handle this crying anymore. Either way, it ends good for you....either the parents jump in and figure out what is going on or he goes to another daycare, either way, problem is solved for you. I hate for that to sound harsh but hearing a screaming child all day is too much for you, especially when you already have the other kids to care for. Think of how sick they must be to have to hear the screaming too. Are there any other concerns with the baby...aggressive behavior....is he happy at other times during the day?
KBCsMommy 07:54 PM 12-06-2011
I have termed over constant crying but that was back when I was doing daycare in a very small house. We did not have the space or the patient to deal with prolonged crying. Now, its no problem. Our house is more than twice the size of our last, everyone has their own room to sleep in. Anyway, if you really feel like you are on your last nerve with this little one, have a frank conversation with the parents and get this resolved. At this point, you have been doing your plan and CIO for a month with no results, correct? and hes full time? Dont feel bad to admit that you (and the other kids) cannot handle this crying anymore. Either way, it ends good for you....either the parents jump in and figure out what is going on or he goes to another daycare, either way, problem is solved for you. I hate for that to sound harsh but hearing a screaming child all day is too much for you, especially when you already have the other kids to care for. Think of how sick they must be to have to hear the screaming too. Are there any other concerns with the baby...aggressive behavior....is he happy at other times during the day?

All the kids sleep in their own rooms, in their own pnp's. Hes pretty easygoing for the most part. He does suffer from seperation anxiety horribly. But other than that hes mostly happy. Just not nap time.

When hes not here its pretty nice. Hes a noisy baby in general always talking and yelling! And the kids seem to sleep better when hes gone. But I dont think its something I would get rid of him for. I just wish he would sleep!!!!!
cheerfuldom 06:08 AM 12-07-2011
maybe reconsider his routine....perhaps he needs to be put down earlier. I would imagine if he is crying a lot at home, they are probably letting him stay up and do whatever it takes to keep him from crying. in that case, he needs more sleep, not less. maybe his is just too wired and overstimulated by the time you put him down. just a thought.
countrymom 06:55 AM 12-07-2011
its your schedual, you need to adjust it. I have a 9month old here too. she arrives at 730too. Before she arrives she gets a bottle at home, make sure mom gives him a bottle before he comes to your house.

So, at 815 or 830 I feed the baby cereal (like rice or mixed fruit) then I give her some milk to wash it down, usually she takes a small sip. Then I let her play till 9am and then its bed, till 1030am, I wake her up.

at 11am I give her a small snack (she doesn't want to drink her milk except maybe 2 or 3 oz) like smashed bananas or yogurt. Then at 12pm she has lunch and she plays till 115 or 130pm and then she goes to sleep. At 4pm I give her a bottle.

so try stretching the the time he goes to bed, and feed him good. I started giving her more food and the morning snack after I realized that she wasn't drinking her 11am bottle and was only sleeping for an hour, turned out that she was really hungry thats why she was waking up. When she goes home, she eats dinner at 530pm and a bottle at 7pm and then thats it, nothing inbetween, and she is hungry thats why she is waking at night too.
renodeb 08:47 AM 12-07-2011
I had termed for constant crying, it was really a hard decision but was so glad once the child was gone. There has to be something else to the puzzle. Dont give up on naps, he needs down time and you need a brake.Does he wake up screaming as well? Parents will very often not be truthful when it comes to there children. Constant crying can be such a drain. Let us know what happens.
Tags:crying - all day, crying - every day, medical condition - notification, no cry parenting, rage baby
Reply Up