Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Firearms and ChildCare: To Disclose or Not
Unregistered 07:54 AM 03-28-2012
I am a registered user but due to the sensitivity of this topic I am logging out.

I had an interview the other day and the family asked if we owned any firearms, which prompted this discussion.

(Feel free to log out and answer honestly to protect your anonymity if you like).

Questions that came up in my mind after the interview:

What if we did own firearms? If we keep them outside of the house, then it is none of their business.... right? I should not have to disclose that I own firearms.

What if we own firearms and they are in the house- locked up in a safe, and in an area where children are not allowed and cannot even physically go. In that situation, is it any of their business? It does not affect them or the child.

What if my husband was a police officer/military/security/etc and he kept his gun in the house- is that their business? Woud I be obligated to tell them my husband's work requires that he carry a firearm- then the question becomes- do I now have to disclose information about my family members to potential parents?

What if I had a concealed carry permit, and extensive years of training? Does that make a difference? Would it make a difference if I carried the firearm on walks with the kids, versus if I did not? (I do understand, no matter what your opinion is, that the recent Trayvon Martin case is bringing light to this issue).

As far as firearms are concerned, how much do you say?

In my opinion, if it isn't a factor that would affect the child in any way, then it is none of the parents business. Where does the parental disclosure end? What if you were transexual/homosexual (or had a child that was, etc) - are you obligated to tell the parents that? How much do they need to know?

**I am NOT trying to start any political or controversial issues, so please offer your thoughts and opinions about this sensitive subject in a respectful manner. I was caught off guard by that question and am wondering what other people think about parents asking it, and how they woud answer. Also, where does the disclosure stop? Thanks~
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 03-28-2012
Part of our licensing requirements are to disclose whether or not we have firearms in the home and where we are to keep them if we do. Failure to follow these licensing rules are NOT an option.

As far as it being any one's business, I believe that if we are opening our homes to run a business then it IS their business. If I were a parent and asked this question and later found out you lied because you felt it was none of my business, I would be LIVID! If you are caring for my child, it IS my business.

If I asked and you told me the truth, I would want to see where the firearms are and what you do to keep the children from accessing them. I would want to know when, who and how often you open the locked safe during operating hours.

....even if your DH has a profession that requires fire arm use/carrying, there are rules that he would have to follow so that is kind of a mute point there as he could/would lose his job if he didn't follow those laws/rules
SilverSabre25 08:03 AM 03-28-2012
I once had a family ask this question, and when I said no, they looked at me incredulously and asked if I was sure. Granted, they asked the same thing after I said that my husband and I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs. Needless to say, they did not choose me, lol.

You raise an interesting point though, about where disclosure stops; where is the line between private and public when it comes to this kind of thing? It is definitely a good question. Opening up your home to other people's children in this capacity does, IMO, entitle them to more information than the average person, but does not grant them full access to your life. Some of them seem to THINK that it does, but it doesn't.

As a parent, I would want to know if there were any firearms on the property. I would be a bit taken aback if a potential home daycare provider did not freely let me know where her husband (or his wife :P) worked...just as I am taken aback as a provider if parents don't want to supply me with the same information. Presence of firearms would not necessarily make me choose a different provider, though. It's just good information to have. BUT an important caveat to make here is that I don't know if I would be asking about firearms...because I think that would cross the privacy line.

That was a long-winded of way shrugging my shoulders and saying..."Uh, I dunno..."
Unregistered 08:04 AM 03-28-2012
I am sure you are right about a husband having rules- that is NOT my situation, but I asked the question in the event that that is the case for someone else.

In my situation, while we technically do own firearms we do not keep them in the daycare house, which is what I told the mom. She replied with a laugh, "Well I had to ask- you never know what kind of people we're dealing with here." (Which did make me mad, what kind of people was she talking about- gun owners? But I will stop there before I go off on a tangent).

They ended up offering me the position but I declined and took a different family due to the childs age.
Unregistered 08:13 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I once had a family ask this question, and when I said no, they looked at me incredulously and asked if I was sure. Granted, they asked the same thing after I said that my husband and I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs. Needless to say, they did not choose me, lol.

You raise an interesting point though, about where disclosure stops; where is the line between private and public when it comes to this kind of thing? It is definitely a good question. Opening up your home to other people's children in this capacity does, IMO, entitle them to more information than the average person, but does not grant them full access to your life. Some of them seem to THINK that it does, but it doesn't.

As a parent, I would want to know if there were any firearms on the property. I would be a bit taken aback if a potential home daycare provider did not freely let me know where her husband (or his wife :P) worked...just as I am taken aback as a provider if parents don't want to supply me with the same information. Presence of firearms would not necessarily make me choose a different provider, though. It's just good information to have. BUT an important caveat to make here is that I don't know if I would be asking about firearms...because I think that would cross the privacy line.

That was a long-winded of way shrugging my shoulders and saying..."Uh, I dunno..."
I feel like questions like that, that are a little too personal need to be handled a little more delicately. Maybe if she asked, "Do you have any firearms in any of the shared areas with the daycare children" I wouldnt have been so taken aback.

I brought up the homosexual portion above because I once had a friend who's high school aged son was very clearly homosexual, and she had a parent ask if the son would be around the kids at all because they were slightly concerned about his sexuality around their kids. The son had almost no interaction with the kids at all, and just happened to come home when the mom was having an interview. I remember the mom telling me about this and crying because she felt so badly that her son was being stigmatized as some sort of deviant due to his sexual orientation.

Again, not trying to start problems, just sharing my stories and wanting to hear from the rest of you.
Christian Mother 08:16 AM 03-28-2012
We don't have any fire arms in the house but my husbands best friend is back from Afghanistan and he's a marine. He wears one on him at all times and when he stayed with us he wore it and placed it on the table but unloaded it...I was freaked bc I am scared to death of guns. My husband now wants to get one for him self and me. I don't want one at all but he stresses the importance of protecting ourselves in our own home if someone was ever to try and break in. I need to have access to one to protect the children. Our friend wants to teach up tactics of guarding a house. It seems excessive but then again he's seen things I could never dream to have seen. I would def. be disclosing to the parents that we own guns and also where we keep them as we plan to buy a HUGE safe. That will be in the future though bc we can't afford a gun nor a safe.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 03-28-2012
You said "In my opinion, if it isn't a factor that would affect the child in any way, then it is none of the parents business."

How would having firearms in the house NOT affect the child? You canNOT guarantee that a child might get into the area where firearms are. You can take all the safety measures in the world and yet accidents still happen.

You can have a policy of a locked safe, an area where access is not permitted and follow all the rules and regulations and yet we are still human and canNOT guarantee that something couldn't happen.

The only sure fire 100% way to guarantee that something couldn't happen is to simply NOT have firearms in the home.

I HIGHLY doubt that even if you had a permit to carry, that it would be advisable or allowed to carry one if you are simply going for a walk with the dck's. I do know that when taking the course to be permitted for carrying a concealed weapon ,there are rules to follow and not following them has consequences such as revocation of the permit.

I would think that whether your state requires you to be licensed or not (as far as child care goes), there would still be some sort of rules that would apply to this.
wahmof3 08:24 AM 03-28-2012
We do have firearms, locked up & away from the children of course. I've never really thought about disclosing the info. I do have to have a no weapons sign posted on my front door. If I was asked I would disclose the info, but I have never in 6 years been asked that question.

My dh also has concealed carry & I will be getting mine this summer. I would not carry while children are in my care.
SimpleMom 08:26 AM 03-28-2012
Since they are entrusting us with thier little children, then yes, I'd say it's their business. Some people (like me) are really against firearms and just don't want their kids around them--even if they are in a safe place. It's just personal preference.

Some are totally fine with it. That's ok as well. If i did own them, i wouldn't have a problem with letting parent's know and i would explain how i keep them locked up and safe, etc.
sharlan 08:28 AM 03-28-2012
I've never had a parent ask, but I wouldn't be the slightest bit offended if they did.

If a parent asked, I would be very happy to show them the locked gun safe that's in the garage, hidden from view.
laundrymom 08:29 AM 03-28-2012
Yes I do, yes I tell, and never has it been an issue. Of course, the deer heads hanging in the livingroom kind of give away that my dh is a hunter. I have all our weapons in a safe. Except the most lethal, you should see me with a 10 in chefs knife. :-)
Unregistered 08:34 AM 03-28-2012
In my area, we are required to disclose whether or not we own a gun and whether or not it is kept on the daycare premesis even if it is kept in rooms/outside where the daycare children do not have access to.

However, what makes me concerned is me sitting there on an interview with what is actually complete strangers and having to tell them, "No, I do not have a gun in my home." I feel like I might as well continue and say, "so, yes, you can come back later tonight and rob me blind and you now know that I have no real means of protecting myself and family."

I fully understand that the parents of the daycare children should have the right to know what potentially dangerous items are in the home that they are leaving their child in, however, it also makes us have to tell complete strangers that we don't have a weapon and therefore are an easy target for them if they are the crazy ones!
Solandia 08:35 AM 03-28-2012
I would answer: I do not have firearms on my property. It is NOT my daycare parents' business if I own firearms that are stored & used elsewhere. It does not affect their child in the least. My state requires disclosure of firearms on the property. Not if I/dh own any may be in someone else's property.

My daycare parent all own & have guns in their own homes, so they think we are a bit overcautious that we do not keep any in our home.

BTW, does your state consider a compound bow a firearm that needs to be disclosed? Ours doesnt, and I do not disclose ours, because 1) we have no arrows for it. 2) it has a flipping 80# draw that NO ONE we know can pull back. It is essentially useless to us.
PitterPatter 08:39 AM 03-28-2012
I don't have any guns they scare me to death! I use a baseball bat My Sister recently bought a gun and I dont want my son (10) over there much anymore for fear. They don't have kids so I worry they will neglect and leave it lay out. So there's my personal experience. When he does visit I worry.

Now IF I did have a gun I would tell the client but I am not comfortable telling them where is it. I think saying it is in a lock box upstairs or whatever would be good enough. I have had some pretty shady clients that I know for a fact have stolen drugs from my medicine cabinet in the past as well as went sneaking into my bedroom when they were supposed to use the restroom so no way would I tell them where a gun is in my home. A parent has the right to know ANY possible danger in the home. Even if the gun was never used and had an inch of dust in the attic I would tell the client it is here. I would expect the same for the safety of my own child. I would also understand if the client did not want the child in daycare with a gun. Just my personal opinion. I always turn the table and ask myself what I would want as a parent.

Licencing I would have no problem telling them every deatil. I just dont trust clients due to the past experience.
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 03-28-2012
This is copied directly from your state's guidelines:

No guns or other lethal weapons will be allowed in the child care setting. Parents required to carry firearms as a function of their job will lock firearms in their vehicle before entering the child care setting.

In a home facility, all guns will be unloaded. Ammunition and guns will be stored separate from one another, each under lock and key, in an area inaccessible to children. Parents will be informed if guns or ammunition are kept onsite.

There is your answer on whether or not you must provide parents with this info. I am reading it that even if they don't ask, you are still required to tell. This applies to ALL childcare homes both licensed, LNL, registered and unregistered child care homes.
Unregistered 08:42 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You said "In my opinion, if it isn't a factor that would affect the child in any way, then it is none of the parents business."

How would having firearms in the house NOT affect the child? You canNOT guarantee that a child might get into the area where firearms are. You can take all the safety measures in the world and yet accidents still happen.

You can have a policy of a locked safe, an area where access is not permitted and follow all the rules and regulations and yet we are still human and canNOT guarantee that something couldn't happen.

The only sure fire 100% way to guarantee that something couldn't happen is to simply NOT have firearms in the home.

I HIGHLY doubt that even if you had a permit to carry, that it would be advisable or allowed to carry one if you are simply going for a walk with the dck's. I do know that when taking the course to be permitted for carrying a concealed weapon ,there are rules to follow and not following them has consequences such as revocation of the permit.

I would think that whether your state requires you to be licensed or not (as far as child care goes), there would still be some sort of rules that would apply to this.
I respectfully disagree. There are ways to have children and firearms in the same home. There are ways to store ammunition in separate containers than the firearm. There are biometric safes that are only programmed to allow 1 or 2 pre-programmed people to open the safe. There are trigger locks. Using a combination of the above, and watching the children will prevent 100% accidents.

Accidents are a result of people not being educated about firearms, being careless or lazy, or handling them when under the influence. It is much more dangerous to have a knife set out on your kitchen counter than to have a locked gun in a locked biometric safe in a locked room with ammunition sotred in a locked case in a separate locked room from the gun.

I do not have a CCW but I have taken the course and there are not any laws preventing you from carrying it with your own children. I do not know, but do believe that there are probably laws about childcare and having guns around, probably whether you are licensed or not, but I am not 100% sure.
Unregistered 08:47 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
In my area, we are required to disclose whether or not we own a gun and whether or not it is kept on the daycare premesis even if it is kept in rooms/outside where the daycare children do not have access to.

However, what makes me concerned is me sitting there on an interview with what is actually complete strangers and having to tell them, "No, I do not have a gun in my home." I feel like I might as well continue and say, "so, yes, you can come back later tonight and rob me blind and you now know that I have no real means of protecting myself and family."

I fully understand that the parents of the daycare children should have the right to know what potentially dangerous items are in the home that they are leaving their child in, however, it also makes us have to tell complete strangers that we don't have a weapon and therefore are an easy target for them if they are the crazy ones!
This is a very good point! There are predators out there in the world that WILL take advantage of your kindness. That is one of my biggest fears, since I do a lot of advertising on craigs list. I am basically inviting strangers to my nice large home. They see my husband's expensive car in the driveway and the nice oil paintings on the walls. They see that I am home alone all day, vulnerable, with a bunch of little kiddos who I have to protect as well. If someone wanted to set up a fake interview- I could be inviting a rapist and murderer to my home, and letting them know I am defenseless.
Blackcat31 08:51 AM 03-28-2012
I respectfully disagree. There are ways to have children and firearms in the same home. There are ways to store ammunition in separate containers than the firearm. There are biometric safes that are only programmed to allow 1 or 2 pre-programmed people to open the safe. There are trigger locks. Using a combination of the above, and watching the children will prevent 100% accidents.

Accidents are a result of people not being educated about firearms, being careless or lazy, or handling them when under the influence. It is much more dangerous to have a knife set out on your kitchen counter than to have a locked gun in a locked biometric safe in a locked room with ammunition sotred in a locked case in a separate locked room from the gun.

I do not have a CCW but I have taken the course and there are not any laws preventing you from carrying it with your own children. I do not know, but do believe that there are probably laws about childcare and having guns around, probably whether you are licensed or not, but I am not 100% sure.
You can respectfully disagree and that is A-ok, however, I stand my ground on the fact that regardless of what safety measures you do or do not take, you can NOT guarantee that an accident can or won't happen. Human beings are NOT perfect. You simply can NOT guarantee that.

As far as the laws about CCW and your own children, you said while walking with daycare children and there ARE rules about that. What you do with your own children on your own time is irrelavant to this topic, whic is child care, child care children and the parents right to know
Unregistered 08:51 AM 03-28-2012
This is copied directly from your state's guidelines:

No guns or other lethal weapons will be allowed in the child care setting. Parents required to carry firearms as a function of their job will lock firearms in their vehicle before entering the child care setting.

In a home facility, all guns will be unloaded. Ammunition and guns will be stored separate from one another, each under lock and key, in an area inaccessible to children. Parents will be informed if guns or ammunition are kept onsite.

There is your answer on whether or not you must provide parents with this info. I am reading it that even if they don't ask, you are still required to tell. This applies to ALL childcare homes both licensed, LNL, registered and unregistered child care homes.
Good info to know. Like I said, I don't keep anything on site but I am gad to have that information! Thanks!
MrsB 08:53 AM 03-28-2012
My husband does have one of those professions.

Licensing doesnt require me to disclose to parents but it does require me to disclose to licensing and they inspect our gun safe when they come for inspections.

I do disclose to my prospective daycare parents that we may have a firearm on premisis but it is always in a locked gun safe upstairs in the office off of our bedroom. (Upstairs is approved for daycare but only a handful of time in the last 5 years have I ever taken dcks up there and it was never into my room or the office) I always give them the option of checking out the safe. Typically it is only there outside of his work hours, since he has it with him at work. I have never had a family say anything about it. I suppose one of the families that came for an interview and did not go with me that could have been the reason, one will never know. On the other hand, I have had alot of parents comment how they like the idea that my husband is in law enforcement and that most of community knows that.

I think if you are open about it and tell everyone the precautions and safety measures you have put in place, it isnt such a taboo subject. Then it is up to them to decide if they trust you or not to follow your safety precautions. If they dont I dont want their child here. KWIM?
nannyde 08:57 AM 03-28-2012
That's a really good point. Never assume because someone is a parent that they are safe. I think you would be better off to just recite whatever your state law is about firearms then to answer the question directly. I don't know what my state requires. I'll have to look that up.

I don't have guns and am scared to death of them so it's never been an issue with me. I'm very pro gun though. I come from hunters and generational teaching about safety.
Blackcat31 08:58 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I think if you are open about it and tell everyone the precautions and safety measures you have put in place, it isnt such a taboo subject. Then it is up to them to decide if they trust you or not to follow your safety precautions. If they dont I dont want their child here. KWIM?
Again, communication is the key!!
Live and Learn 09:04 AM 03-28-2012
You absolutely must disclose to the parents if the guns are ever on your premises. Even if the guns are locked up. The parents have the right to know.

In our area we recently had a young child find his deputy dad's gun. The gun was supposed to be kept in a safe. The child accidentally killed himself. Accidents happen.

Personally, I hate guns. When my kids were young I would ask the parents of their friends if they kept guns in the house. One idiotic family told me that they kept unlocked loaded guns on the top shelf of their closet but ddn't think their children knew or could reach the guns. My child was never allowed at their house. My instincts proved correct. Weird family.
Blackcat31 09:07 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
That's a really good point. Never assume because someone is a parent that they are safe. I think you would be better off to just recite whatever your state law is about firearms then to answer the question directly. I don't know what my state requires. I'll have to look that up. I don't have guns and am scared to death of them so it's never been an issue with me. I'm very pro gun though. I come from hunters and generational teaching about safety.
http://www.dhs.state.ia.us/policyana...er/comm143.pdf
Page 52.

FWIW~ this is a subject I feel VERY strongly about. I have zero issues with guns. I just think that laws are in place to protect people NOT harm them or cause them grief.

Even if no laws on this subject existed, I would think that anyone providing child care would feel strongly about doing what ever is necessary to do what is in the best as far as safety and the well-being of the children and families we serve.

Even if that means changing our home-life. Sometimes we have to give a little for the best interest of the bigger picture.
Unregistered 09:13 AM 03-28-2012
Part of our licensing requirements are to disclose whether or not we have firearms in the home and where we are to keep them if we do. Failure to follow these licensing rules are NOT an option.

As far as it being any one's business, I believe that if we are opening our homes to run a business then it IS their business. If I were a parent and asked this question and later found out you lied because you felt it was none of my business, I would be LIVID! If you are caring for my child, it IS my business.

If I asked and you told me the truth, I would want to see where the firearms are and what you do to keep the children from accessing them. I would want to know when, who and how often you open the locked safe during operating hours.

....even if your DH has a profession that requires fire arm use/carrying, there are rules that he would have to follow so that is kind of a mute point there as he could/would lose his job if he didn't follow those laws/rules
what state are you in?
AmyLeigh 09:19 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I've never had a parent ask, but I wouldn't be the slightest bit offended if they did.

If a parent asked, I would be very happy to show them the locked gun safe that's in the garage, hidden from view.
This. Exactly.
nannyde 09:22 AM 03-28-2012
http://www.dhs.state.ia.us/policyana...er/comm143.pdf
Page 52.

FWIW~ this is a subject I feel VERY strongly about. I have zero issues with guns. I just think that laws are in place to protect people NOT harm them or cause them grief.

Even if no laws on this subject existed, I would think that anyone providing child care would feel strongly about doing what ever is necessary to do what is in the best as far as safety and the well-being of the children and families we serve.

Even if that means changing our home-life. Sometimes we have to give a little for the best interest of the bigger picture.
So you can have them in Iowa as long as they are locked away. Well that's interesting.

It gets touchy when you start messing with the right to have weapons. I haven't ever really thought it thru because I would never own a weapon. I'm really afraid of guns. I would like to learn how to shoot them though with a teacher who knew what they were doing and in a safe place. I would love to hunt if I had the physical ability and the eyesight. That's never going to happen though.
Unregistered 09:38 AM 03-28-2012
I do not have guns in my home and have never been asked in an interview. I did have one mom suggest that I carry a gun when I took the kids to the playground in case someone tried to kidnap one of the kids.
To the OP, even if the guns are locked up and in an area where the kids cannot get to them, it still does affect them and the parent does have a right to know.
I for one never underestimate kids abilities to get to places and into things that they shouldn't. How many stories do we all hear every year where some devastated mom or caregiver says, "I just looked away for a second!" I would just hate for something awful to happen.
Also, what if an intruder entered the home during day care hours? Would you be tempted to go for the gun? Would you be more than tempted? In that case it affects the kids in a very real way. What if that same intruder found the gun and used it to harm you or the kids?
I also have teenagers of my own and know that if there are teenagers in the home that adds a whole other layer of unpredictability. They probably know where the guns are stored and how to access them. Peer pressure anyone?
Blackcat31 09:43 AM 03-28-2012
what state are you in?
I am in MN
lil angels 09:53 AM 03-28-2012
We have a very large safe on another level of our home. It is a combo lock thing my husband is a bit of a collector. And I don't even think about it anymore it doesn't. Other me in the least. Everything is locked except if we go out to practice with them. Clay targets and things. Ilet my lisencer know when she comes and she always says looks great.

I was very nervous around guns when I met my husband didn't even want to touch one or look at it. But I started getting educated about them and now I rather enjoy shooting as a hobby.

I have never been asked by a family about it. I guess I would probably walk them to the. If in wall fire proof safe ( it would take a truck to get it out of here) and say everything is in here. If your not comfortable with it theirs the door
familyschoolcare 09:59 AM 03-28-2012
My husband is in the Navy reserves and we have several firearms in the house. They are locked according to licensing rules. I also disclosed all this

information when I was licensed. Which was not as easy as it sounds; she wanted to know how many of what kind of firearms only she did not know the

difference between a riffle and a pistol. LOL

I tell parents during the interview that my husband works for the district attorney in the crime lab and is in the Navy reserves ring e interview

process. To date no body has asked about firearms. My plan if they do is to be honest about the situation. However, if Day Care Children and/or their

children are present then I will hand them this written response.

DO NOT READ THIS OUT LOAD Yes, we have firearms in the House. However, none of the day care children are not aware of this and I would like to keep it

that way. If you would like to know more about this then we will need to make an appoint for later.

The firearms are in a liberty safe and the safe cannot be opened with out the code, if you try the code unsuccessfully to many times then the safe beeps

and “locks” up. The safe is always locked if not being opened we keep more than the weapons in it. We where very dilligent about this even before

opening the day care. The safe is in the closet in the master bedroom. The master bedroom is at the end of the hallway all of the bedrooms are off

limits. This means that the only times the children are in the hall way is to go o the bathroom. In addition, to get to the closet you have to go around

the corner from the bedroom door I cannot explain in writing just how far from the children the safe is. It is far enough away that I will not go their

even to use the bathroom when the day care children are present, because not only can you not see the children you cannot hear them. The master

bath is just past the closet.
itlw8 10:28 AM 03-28-2012
there have been far to many cases of children getting hurt because the parents thought they could not reach the gun or they knew not to touch it.

Yes I think it is a reasonable question to ask. They did not want to know if you owned a gun but if there were any in the home

You answer yes we own guns but do not keep them here because of the children

Or yes we have guns we use trigger locks and store them in a locked gun safe. We keep the key for the trigger lock in a different locked location

If someone carried a gun I would want to know that. I would not enroll my child in a place that guns were not secured. On the body is not secured.
renodeb 10:37 AM 03-28-2012
To be honest I have never had the issue comeup with potential clients. If it did I would reassure them that every precaution is being taken and that all safety regs are being upheld.
Wether or not I had a permit I would never have it on me bacause there is always a chance something could go wrong and a child could get hurt.
I think if they dont ask then dont tell! It is your home after all.
My licensing monitor asks at each visit if we have firearms and I say yes and tell her that they are under lock and key where no kids coupd get to them at all.
Debbie
wdmmom 10:51 AM 03-28-2012
A very interesting topic and thread!

It has never come up during interviewing. I have never worked for a police officer or anyone in the military that may have a firearm on their side during arrivals or departures.

Iowa has changed their gun laws to make a permit to carry and conceal very attainable. I have considered taking the course. Not for the fact that I want to carry a gun on me but because I find target practice a very entertaining sport. I am a great shot and I'm fortunate to have family in rural areas that I can go whenever I want.

I will say this much. I have access to firearms but they are not located on my property.

I also know another provider in my area that just has several firearms on property. They also have 5 children. The thought of the provider having 5 children and having a daycare where weapons are located would not be a contributing factor to my decision making.

If I used weapons as a deciding factor, I couldn't have my own parents care for my children!
Heidi 10:52 AM 03-28-2012
As far as the guns go, we do not currently own any, but if we did, I would be happy to disclose that if asked. Our state requires it, I believe. We may even have to have it in our policies-I don't know because I usually check N/A when I get to that section. THey must be locked up seperatly from the ammo, etc.

As far as the other things go, I would probably tell if asked as well. Heck, I'd probably tell anyway because I am a big blabber-mouth, and I my son were Gay, and that's a problem for you, you should probably go elsewhere.

As a matter of fact, my son's aren't, but my daughter is almost 15, and she considers herself "romantically BI", whatever that means. I think it's called confused-for-now. According to her, it means she's romantically attracted to both genders, but isn't intersted in being intimate with either. I'm fine with that, because she's 14, and has no business being intimate anyway, although a number of her friends are...

See, I told you I was a blabbermouth!
GretasLittleFriends 10:59 AM 03-28-2012
I have never had a parent ask if we have guns on our property. It is required by licensing that they are locked up, with ammunition locked separately. My licensor does check this each time she is at my house. I would have no issue telling my parents that we own guns and they are locked. I would gladly show them if they were interested in proof to ease their minds.

I honestly don't know the rules about disclosing to parents, but I do know for a fact that ALL of my daycare parents own guns. I would say over 50% of my daycare kids eat more wild game (and fish) than they do store bought meat. My DH and some of the parents have talked hunting, so I assume that they know we too own guns. It's never been an issue.

Though I did just have an interview Monday and the mom asked me if we had issues with wild animals. I said "you mean besides the two-legged ones she just met (meaning my ds7 and dd2)?" She laughed. Her parents are having an issue with a bear in their area right now and she is afraid of bears. We do have one, but I've never seen it, just droppings and prints. It's not a big bear. Our collie scares most of the animals away from our house. She seemed relieved. Those kiddos start next week.
Heidi 11:08 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I have never had a parent ask if we have guns on our property. It is required by licensing that they are locked up, with ammunition locked separately. My licensor does check this each time she is at my house. I would have no issue telling my parents that we own guns and they are locked. I would gladly show them if they were interested in proof to ease their minds.

I honestly don't know the rules about disclosing to parents, but I do know for a fact that ALL of my daycare parents own guns. I would say over 50% of my daycare kids eat more wild game (and fish) than they do store bought meat. My DH and some of the parents have talked hunting, so I assume that they know we too own guns. It's never been an issue.

Though I did just have an interview Monday and the mom asked me if we had issues with wild animals. I said "you mean besides the two-legged ones she just met (meaning my ds7 and dd2)?" She laughed. Her parents are having an issue with a bear in their area right now and she is afraid of bears. We do have one, but I've never seen it, just droppings and prints. It's not a big bear. Our collie scares most of the animals away from our house. She seemed relieved. Those kiddos start next week.
We have black bears in our area, too. I've never seen one, but I have talked to DS about what to do if he ever sees one. We have lots of coyotes, too, so I worry about my Shih-Tzu.

We live about 3 miles from town, and one of Dh's buddies (who lives in town) came home (a little drunk) in the wee hours to hear what he THOUGHT was a racoon in his tree. Upon closer inspection, it was a bear! He called the police, and they removed the bear...alll 300 lbs of him.
saved4always 11:19 AM 03-28-2012
We do not own any firearms. But, if we did, and a parent asked about them, I would tell them the truth about having them, where and how they are kept and why we have them. As a parent, I would want to make an informed decision about whether my child will be in a house with firearms.
Jewels 11:19 AM 03-28-2012
We have guns, my husband is a hunter ,so we have a safe downstairs in the laundry room, where the guns are stored, and according to regs, like an above poster posted, them ammo, is all in a locked container all the way in the garage up high, I always disclose this, and most parents ask to see the safe.
However if I owned guns and stored them somewhere else I would not disclose that, if its not on the property, its none of there concern.
Blackcat31 11:27 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
We have black bears in our area, too. I've never seen one, but I have talked to DS about what to do if he ever sees one. We have lots of coyotes, too, so I worry about my Shih-Tzu.

We live about 3 miles from town, and one of Dh's buddies (who lives in town) came home (a little drunk) in the wee hours to hear what he THOUGHT was a racoon in his tree. Upon closer inspection, it was a bear! He called the police, and they removed the bear...alll 300 lbs of him.
The bears come and eat from our bird feeders on a regular basis. Most of them are more afraid of us then we are of them.

As far as the coyotes go, they are nocturnal hunters so more than likely, you little dog is pretty safe unless he/she spends lots of time outdoors at night.

We have LOTS of coyotes in our woods and they rarely make their presence known until after sunset. Although they travel in packs, they are kind of chicken so they are much like black bears, in their reputations are far worse than their actual behaviors.
saved4always 11:31 AM 03-28-2012

We don't have any fire arms and I do not feel that I am putting my home or family at risk of being robbed because people know I don't have any guns here. I do have 2 dogs. I find that the German Shepherd face at the window and the wild barking of the other dog is a good deterent for anyone who might want to get into my house to rob us.
nannyde 11:34 AM 03-28-2012
The bears come and eat from our bird feeders on a regular basis. Most of them are more afraid of us then we are of them.

As far as the coyotes go, they are nocturnal hunters so more than likely, you little dog is pretty safe unless he/she spends lots of time outdoors at night.

We have LOTS of coyotes in our woods and they rarely make their presence known until after sunset. Although they travel in packs, they are kind of chicken so they are much like black bears, in their reputations are far worse than their actual behaviors.
You eat bear Black?
daycare 11:34 AM 03-28-2012
I have not gotten a chance to read all of the responses, however, guns to me is like seeing a toothbrush..lol where I come from everyone has one... In my home country you would walk out your front door and you would see a man walking to the grocery store with one on his back. Maybe a riffle or machine gun. It was also not uncommon to hear about young children often shooting themselves because they were playing with a gun.

BUT ..... Now that I live here in a big city, I don't have any.

I have had clients ask me and I tell them I don't.

I always always ask my own kids, friends parents when they go over to a new friends house if they have guns. If they say yes, I ask are they properly locked? I tell my kids, (when they were old enough to understand) that if your friend ever shows you a gun, you run and tell their parents right away.

The only way I would ever own a gun, is if I moved to a farm or out in the country.....
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 03-28-2012
You eat bear Black?
Yes, although the older I have gotten, the less I really like it. Too lean INHO. My dad is a super big black bear hunter. My cousin (a girl) shot the largest black bear in the state last year with a bow/arrow.

Black bear is a very common food source here
Unregistered 11:37 AM 03-28-2012
It is nice that everyone is being so respectful concerning this topic, and that we can have a good, educational conversation for everyone on the subject. (Unregistered thumbs up)!

I think the general consensus that everyone seems to agree upon is that if you are asked, it is best to tell the truth. It also seems that it is also a matter that licensing looks into as well, which is understandable.

I did hear a lot of you state that you don't like guns, and that you are afraid of them. Guns are very powerful weapons! I would urge those of you who do have these fears to go outside of your comfort zone and seek out a licensed training program (they often have some just wor women) to familiarize yourselves about guns, to help quell some of the fear of the unknown. You dont have to buy one or keep it at your house, you dont even have to like them- but you should be knowledgeable about them, how they work, and how you would handle a situation if you ever found a gun in your presence. The biggest danger in guns is not knowing how to use them properly.

A quick lesson that I teach my kids, since we come from a family of hunters and they will be around guns at some point:

1. ALL guns are loaded. No matter what. Even if its pink and plastic and shiny and fun. If you think it is a toy, you better ask first. Do not touch a gun without asking, even if you think it is a toy! (My daughter will ask if she can touch Nerf guns at the store because of this rule).

2. ALL guns are loaded.

3. Never put your finger on the trigger, even to hold it, until you are ready to shoot.

4. Never point the gun at anyone. Everyone must ALWAYS be behind the firing line.

5. Know your target AND what is behind it. Bullets will go through walls, trees, etc.

6. If you have had a sip of alcohol, you are not allowed to touch a gun. Period.

7. All guns are loaded.
daycare 11:44 AM 03-28-2012
Yes, although the older I have gotten, the less I really like it. Too lean INHO. My dad is a super big black bear hunter. My cousin (a girl) shot the largest black bear in the state last year with a bow/arrow.

sorry the city girl in me has to say EEEEWWWWW Really. wow I would have never thought. Guess because here in Cali the only bears I have even seen were always in a State Park and it would be illegal to shoot those ones, so the thought never crossed my mind. It's got to be super healthy.....
Countrygal 12:27 PM 03-28-2012
I love bear meat, but haven't had any for years. Don't care for venison or 'coon, though. Like elk. Snake is good. So is turtle.

As for guns here..... have them, keep them up waaaayyyy high and keep a clip loaded but not in gun. Shoot, by the time I figure out how to load and shoot the dumb thing it takes me 20 minutes!!! (OK, I confess, 18 of that is spent finding the clip....)

I have had two sick (one I am pretty sure was rabid) coons on property in last 10 years, have had a bear within spitting distance of my clothesline. Yep, I'm keeping my gun, but then I've been hunting since I was 14 and have also been trained in law enforcement to carry a sidearm.
Christian Mother 12:51 PM 03-28-2012
I was just thinking this...this topic has stayed with me through out the day...

I know we are going to have guns in our home eventually. I have one family who hunts and they have a gun safe as well. None of my parents ever have asked but I don't believe it would be a issue.

I'm going to be honest with you all. Things are happening out there and we need to be prepared. We take care of others children we need to be prepared to defend our children and the children we care for. What happens if the economy falls flat and people who are prepared and have stock piles of food and water in their homes are robbed. These things could def. happen and it's best to just be prepared. I hate guns but I'll tell you what...I wouldn't hesitate if it came down to them or me. Those children are my first priority and you can bet that that is what I'd be telling parents.

I want to get over this fear of guns and the only way to do that is to learn and handle one. I want to be able to protect my self and others bc I am tiny. And if my husband can't get to me its up to me to protect those that are in my care. People who are desperate for food and water and what ever else you have to offer in your home will do what ever it takes to get to it. Be need to be prepared for anything. I am not saying that it is going to happen now or soon but it's always best to be prepared. And for those that are uneasy about a home with a gun it's there choose not to except a daycare that owns one. But for me I am rethinking not choosing to place my child in one. I would question if they are lic. where it is kept and what type of lessons or certifications they have to have and own one. As you can see I don't know much about it but it's worth looking into it further.
Unregistered 12:55 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:

I know we are going to have guns in our home eventually. I have one family who hunts and they have a gun safe as well. None of my parents ever have asked but I don't believe it would be a issue.

I'm going to be honest with you all. Things are happening out there and we need to be prepared. We take care of others children we need to be prepared to defend our children and the children we care for. What happens if the economy falls flat and people who are prepared and have stock piles of food and water in their homes are robbed. These things could def. happen and it's best to just be prepared. I hate guns but I'll tell you what...I wouldn't hesitate if it came down to them or me. Those children are my first priority and you can bet that that is what I'd be telling parents.

I want to get over this fear of guns and the only way to do that is to learn and handle one. I want to be able to protect my self and others bc I am tiny. And if my husband can't get to me its up to me to protect those that are in my care. People who are desperate for food and water and what ever else you have to offer in your home will do what ever it takes to get to it. Be need to be prepared for anything. I am not saying that it is going to happen now or soon but it's always best to be prepared. And for those that are uneasy about a home with a gun it's there choose not to except a daycare that owns one. But for me I am rethinking not choosing to place my child in one. I would question if they are lic. where it is kept and what type of lessons or certifications they have to have and own one. As you can see I don't know much about it but it's worth looking into it further.
I agree with you 100%, and you should definitely get educated! I promise you, once you find out that guns are not scary (in the hands of a responsible, educated person), you might actualy enjoy how much fun it can be to target shoot and hit a mark!
spud912 02:12 PM 03-28-2012
I agree....I think people are becoming more and more fearful of guns, which makes them more dangerous in my opinion (some people become irrational when they see one). My husband is in law enforcement and hence, we do own a gun. It is unloaded in a locked safe (with a key my husband carries) in a locked room. The bullets are locked in a separate locked room.

I've been asked once if we had a gun and where we store it. Otherwise, I do not automatically disclose that we own a gun (mainly because of the irrational fears). There are many more things in this world that are much much more dangerous than a gun.

I've been raised in a household with guns (none of which were locked) with brothers and none of us have ever had any desire to play with them (not saying that this applies to all children of course). I think the most important thing is early education about guns.
Blackcat31 02:25 PM 03-28-2012
OP~ Can I ask you why did you feel the need to post this as unregistered?

I don't mean this rudely but am just really wondering why? Were you afraid of what others would say if you shared your feelings about it and they didn't agree? or are you worried that your families might if they read this?

FWIW~ I am one of those people who is always analyzing the "why" behind people's actions, so really, I am only asking out of curiosity, not to be offensive. (You are welcome to PM me if you don't feel comfy responding openly.)

I do think that gun education and all the stuff posters have mentioned on here are all very good points as well as things people should be concerned and aware of, so basically I am just wondering why you felt it was necessary to not post openly....especially since you have offered some wonderful advice for others and feel so strongly about it.

Personally, I just wouldn't have had an issue standing openly and firmly on something I really believe.
nannyde 03:07 PM 03-28-2012

I've never had bear. I would try it though. For sure.

My Dad lives in Rapid City and he was telling me they are having a really big problem with mountain lions there. The winter of 2010 he had one go right thru his back yard. I guess they are desimating the elk there. It's a tough thing to keep up with because they have to fight environmental groups to increase the tags they allow to keep the population down.

He told me some people eat the cat but I can't see that. A bear... I would try. I don't know about a cat.

I think some of the state regs have to keep in mind wild animals too when they are doing licensing regs. Not just safety for intruders or bad guys but protection from wild life.
Breezy 03:33 PM 03-28-2012
Here the bears come down from the mountains in the summer and swim in the swimming pools in peoples backyards!!
Bella99 03:39 PM 03-28-2012
Firearms are illegal in Canada, so..
nannyde 03:50 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Here the bears come down from the mountains in the summer and swim in the swimming pools in peoples backyards!!
I've never been really close up to a bear except for last summer at Bear Country in Rapid City. I heard they stink really bad.
Bella99 03:59 PM 03-28-2012
I've never been really close up to a bear except for last summer at Bear Country in Rapid City. I heard they stink really bad.
This reminded me of something..
Last summer at my cottage we heard screaming from the neighbors kids next door, and "BEAR!". Supposedly they were sitting in the screen room watching TV while the parents were at another neighbors, looked over and there was a bear sitting in the screen room! They had to walk (well, RUN) by him to be able to get inside, and he didn't budge! He left after they went in the door.

The next morning I went to see if everyone was OK, and the mother was there febreezing the screenroom, saying that the bear left a bad stench behind.
DCBlessings27 04:13 PM 03-28-2012

I am in agreement with you. I think that I will have a gun eventually. For now, I keep putting it off. My parents, in-laws, husband's sis, husband's brother, all have guns. All but my mil have concealed permits. My husband really thinks that we need one in our house. I am finally really considering it because my parents' house in the country just got robbed a few weeks ago. I don't know if they had a weapon or not, but I was glad that my mom (who is normally home) had an appt. that day. Then, we had a rash of robberies in our city (though not in my safer neighborhood).

I am afraid of the dangers that come with a gun even though I've held the (unloaded) guns of my in-laws. I just don't see how having a gun would make me safer in my house than if I didn't have it. I could see someone turning it on me before I could use the thing.

As to licensing, we are to have it locked away separately from the ammunition. However, licensing surveyors will only ask if it's stored in the correct manner. They don't want the surveyors handling weapons. My husband's rifle is stored in my in-law's safe so not on our property at all. I would disclose to my parents that we had a gun. I've never been asked though.

Since we are seriously considering getting a gun, my husband and I have talked about the plans we have to prepare for it. We want a biometric gun safe. I have never shot a gun either, so I would have to go shooting and be trained in how to use one. My husband has also gone so far as to look into the different types of guns bc he wouldn't want me using one with a large kickback (I think that's the term?).

The only other problem I see with having a gun is if it would be that effective. If I have to go run to my safe, unlock it, unlock the ammo, load the weapon and then bring it out to protect myself, would it be worth the effort? The way I see it, the intruder would have hurt me before I could get my "protection."
Heidi 04:26 PM 03-28-2012
WATCH OUT FOR THOSE BEAR COUNTRY BEARS!!

When I was 10, we visited there. I thought the baby bears were "so cute", I decided to try to pet one. He didn't really like being petted, or maybe he thought I looked yummy...and bit my hand.

Dumb kid...that's why they now have 2 layers of barriers around the animal enclosures.

Hey...I have some pretty bearish kids here some days!
Country Kids 04:27 PM 03-28-2012
There are so many injuries and deaths now from guns and I'm not sure why. Just last week there was a little one shot that had found his daddy's concealed gun under the truck seat.

I grew up with guns, lots of guns. Was hunting by daddys side at like 2 or 3 years old. Not for long because I couldn't keep quite and boy the hikes were long and dad got tired of carrying me when I got to tired to walk-.

Didn't bother me to have squirrels hanging around my neck after we shot them, even though it did bother my mom but guess what I still lived. Nothing like turning on the garage light and wow, there was the deer hanging that dad had shot.

My son not even old enough to drive but he has his bear head hanging up that he shot. The meat, sausage, and jerky were quite yummy!

The whole time I was growing up, my parents kept a loaded gun by there bed. I was taught not to ever, ever touch it, that it was protection for our family. All my friends parents kept loaded guns but we all knew what they were for-protection and hunting.

I think with the right education, training, and knowledge, guns can be used correctly and be around children.
Unregistered 04:35 PM 03-28-2012
OP~ Can I ask you why did you feel the need to post this as unregistered?

I don't mean this rudely but am just really wondering why? Were you afraid of what others would say if you shared your feelings about it and they didn't agree? or are you worried that your families might if they read this?

FWIW~ I am one of those people who is always analyzing the "why" behind people's actions, so really, I am only asking out of curiosity, not to be offensive. (You are welcome to PM me if you don't feel comfy responding openly.)

I do think that gun education and all the stuff posters have mentioned on here are all very good points as well as things people should be concerned and aware of, so basically I am just wondering why you felt it was necessary to not post openly....especially since you have offered some wonderful advice for others and feel so strongly about it.

Personally, I just wouldn't have had an issue standing openly and firmly on something I really believe.
Sure, I don't mind answering your questions. I always respect a wanting to know more question

I partially posted unregistered because there are many pre-conceived notions about firearms, which mostly stems from not knowing enough about them, other than what you hear on the news, etc, which is mostly negative. I would very much dislike to be judged within the forum for my views on firearms; and while I may be assuming that I would be judged, I would prefer not to put myself out there like that. Just a personal preference.

I mainly posted unregistered because I have parents and families that use this site. It wouldn't be too hard to read my specific posts under my daycare.com name and figure out who I am, if you really wanted to. I would hate even more to be judged by one of my families, or even lose clients and compromise my familys income by bringing up such a sensitive topic. I am a very respectable, caring daycare provider, and my position on this matter does not affect my job as a caregiver, but other parents, families, etc might not share that same view.

I didnt post anonymous because I was worried people would disagree. I expected many different viewpoints, other than my own, and I respect each individual's opinions on the matter. Like you said, nothing is fool-proof I am just taking extra precautions to make sure I dont rattle anyone that I work with, even if it is only a .0001% chance.
nannyde 04:47 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
WATCH OUT FOR THOSE BEAR COUNTRY BEARS!!

When I was 10, we visited there. I thought the baby bears were "so cute", I decided to try to pet one. He didn't really like being petted, or maybe he thought I looked yummy...and bit my hand.

Dumb kid...that's why they now have 2 layers of barriers around the animal enclosures.

Hey...I have some pretty bearish kids here some days!
How bout when you first walk in and they have the big yellow grizzly... well I'll tellya my little white pup with one black eye came with me and she wooofed her head off at that guy.

She was going to get herself a piece of that.
Unregistered 04:52 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
There are so many injuries and deaths now from guns and I'm not sure why. Just last week there was a little one shot that had found his daddy's concealed gun under the truck seat.

I grew up with guns, lots of guns. Was hunting by daddys side at like 2 or 3 years old. Not for long because I couldn't keep quite and boy the hikes were long and dad got tired of carrying me when I got to tired to walk-.

Didn't bother me to have squirrels hanging around my neck after we shot them, even though it did bother my mom but guess what I still lived. Nothing like turning on the garage light and wow, there was the deer hanging that dad had shot.

My son not even old enough to drive but he has his bear head hanging up that he shot. The meat, sausage, and jerky were quite yummy!

The whole time I was growing up, my parents kept a loaded gun by there bed. I was taught not to ever, ever touch it, that it was protection for our family. All my friends parents kept loaded guns but we all knew what they were for-protection and hunting.

I think with the right education, training, and knowledge, guns can be used correctly and be around children.
Education is the key! My husband and I keep our firearms at our cabin in the country. We do visit there with our children. Many might disagree with this, but we did a "test" for our 3 year old, to see if all of the safety things we were talking to her about were sinking in.

We quadruple safety checked an unloaded, unchambered firearm and put it within her view, and casually walked away to a place where we could observe her. When she noticed it, she immediately called and ran to us to tell us that she saw a gun. She didnt go near it and did not touch it.

I would NEVER assume that this would always be the case, and I would never have a false sense of security that next time she wouldnt pick it up, BUT it was very good to know that she did what she was supposed to do and that she understood how serious we are about guns.

All of the accidents that we hear about are very heart wrenching and very sad. A lot of the in-home accidents that occur with children are a result of the firearms not being stored properly, combined with a lack of education.

If dad has a gun and mom doesnt know anything about it- that is one of the most dangerous combinations. ALL adults in a firearm-owning home need to know how how it works and all of the proper safety protocol. If you are not a knowledgeable asset you are a liability to your family. If dad owns a gun and mom doesnt know anything about it, and an intruder comes in and mom goes for the gun = worst case scenario. You bet the intruder will use it against you. You have to be prepared ahead of time, make a plan of action, and know what you would do at all times when you have a firearm in the home. It is the knowledge and preparation about guns that will be the deciding factor concerning whether it is an asset to you and your family or a liability. You never know in life if you will ever be in a situatiuon when it is either your life (or your kids), or their (bad guys) life, and you should always be prepared (even if a firearm is not your choice-always have a plan),

On a side note, my hubby and I occasionally do drills, similar to fire drills, on what we would do if an intruder ever came to our home. We know where we would go, how we would secure the children, where our safe zone is, etc. It feels silly when we do them, but I promise you that if anyone ever tried to break into my home and harm myself or my family we would not be victims, because our silly drills have mentally prepared us.
nannyde 05:01 PM 03-28-2012
Education is the key! My husband and I keep our firearms at our cabin in the country. We do visit there with our children. Many might disagree with this, but we did a "test" for our 3 year old, to see if all of the safety things we were talking to her about were sinking in.

We quadruple safety checked an unloaded, unchambered firearm and put it within her view, and casually walked away to a place where we could observe her. When she noticed it, she immediately called and ran to us to tell us that she saw a gun. She didnt go near it and did not touch it.

I would NEVER assume that this would always be the case, and I would never have a false sense of security that next time she wouldnt pick it up, BUT it was very good to know that she did what she was supposed to do and that she understood how serious we are about guns.

All of the accidents that we hear about are very heart wrenching and very sad. A lot of the in-home accidents that occur with children are a result of the firearms not being stored properly, combined with a lack of education.

If dad has a gun and mom doesnt know anything about it- that is one of the most dangerous combinations. ALL adults in a firearm-owning home need to know how how it works and all of the proper safety protocol. If you are not a knowledgeable asset you are a liability to your family. If dad owns a gun and mom doesnt know anything about it, and an intruder comes in and mom goes for the gun = worst case scenario. You bet the intruder will use it against you. You have to be prepared ahead of time, make a plan of action, and know what you would do at all times when you have a firearm in the home. It is the knowledge and preparation about guns that will be the deciding factor concerning whether it is an asset to you and your family or a liability. You never know in life if you will ever be in a situatiuon when it is either your life (or your kids), or their (bad guys) life, and you should always be prepared (even if a firearm is not your choice-always have a plan),

On a side note, my hubby and I occasionally do drills, similar to fire drills, on what we would do if an intruder ever came to our home. We know where we would go, how we would secure the children, where our safe zone is, etc. It feels silly when we do them, but I promise you that if anyone ever tried to break into my home and harm myself or my family we would not be victims, because our silly drills have mentally prepared us.
Have you seen Doomsday Preppers? I have learned SO much about guns in that show.

I always think that no matter how bad it got... I wouldn't resort to having a gun because I'm so afraid of them. I have terrible eyesight and I'm very clumsy. I don't think I could even LEARN how to do it or anyone who teaches it would want me as a student.

I'm totally PRO hunting and love love the game the hunting provides. I just haven't really thought about how this could affect child care because it's an "out of the question" deal for me. I didn't even know my state laws because I skip right over that when they redo the regs.

It's a GREAT topic though and after seeing Doomsday I can see why more and more people are getting armed. I can also see a parent not liking the gun in the house deal. I can't even remember if anyone has ever asked me if I have a gun.
MyAngels 05:07 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Bella99:
Firearms are illegal in Canada, so..
I didn't realize this - like all firearms are illegal?

I could swear my dh has gone duck/goose hunting there, but he's not here right now to ask him, so maybe he didn't go that far north.
Blackcat31 05:17 PM 03-28-2012
Sure, I don't mind answering your questions. I always respect a wanting to know more question

I partially posted unregistered because there are many pre-conceived notions about firearms, which mostly stems from not knowing enough about them, other than what you hear on the news, etc, which is mostly negative. I would very much dislike to be judged within the forum for my views on firearms; and while I may be assuming that I would be judged, I would prefer not to put myself out there like that. Just a personal preference.

I mainly posted unregistered because I have parents and families that use this site. It wouldn't be too hard to read my specific posts under my daycare.com name and figure out who I am, if you really wanted to. I would hate even more to be judged by one of my families, or even lose clients and compromise my familys income by bringing up such a sensitive topic. I am a very respectable, caring daycare provider, and my position on this matter does not affect my job as a caregiver, but other parents, families, etc might not share that same view.

I didnt post anonymous because I was worried people would disagree. I expected many different viewpoints, other than my own, and I respect each individual's opinions on the matter. Like you said, nothing is fool-proof I am just taking extra precautions to make sure I dont rattle anyone that I work with, even if it is only a .0001% chance.
Thank you! I was just wondering. You have some very valid reasons and I completely understand and respect that.

There are many subjects that can be very controversial, especially with the wide variety of environments, personalities and situations we have with the group of people we have here, not to mention the added factor of the public reading this too.

Anyways, thank you again for answering (And your honestly) I appreciate it.
Luna 05:27 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

I could swear my dh has gone duck/goose hunting there, but he's not here right now to ask him, so maybe he didn't go that far north.
Firearms are legal here in Canada. I don't know all of the details, but they have to be registered. We have PLENTY of hunters here!
Bella99 05:32 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

Oh! I forgot about hunting

You need a gun license to hold a gun on top of a hunting licence to 'use' it. They're very, very strict with how it needs to be kept at home.

Unregistered 05:35 PM 03-28-2012
Thank you! I was just wondering. You have some very valid reasons and I completely understand and respect that.

There are many subjects that can be very controversial, especially with the wide variety of environments, personalities and situations we have with the group of people we have here, not to mention the added factor of the public reading this too.

Anyways, thank you again for answering (And your honestly) I appreciate it.
No problem I am naturally inquisitive too, always trying to find a deeper meaning behind human behavior and dissect little details and motives, so I can definitely understand where you were coming from with your question.

Nan- Haha no, I have never seen Doomsday preppers but it sounds very entertaining- there are firearm enthusiasts and then there are FIREARMS ENTHUSIASTS lol. (I am solely on Netflix, so I am always a few seasons behind on everything). I have been waiting for the next season of Grey's Anatomy to come on- my stupid internet connection is too slow to get a good stream of it online!
Christian Mother 10:50 AM 03-29-2012
Have you seen Doomsday Preppers? I have learned SO much about guns in that show.

I always think that no matter how bad it got... I wouldn't resort to having a gun because I'm so afraid of them. I have terrible eyesight and I'm very clumsy. I don't think I could even LEARN how to do it or anyone who teaches it would want me as a student.

I'm totally PRO hunting and love love the game the hunting provides. I just haven't really thought about how this could affect child care because it's an "out of the question" deal for me. I didn't even know my state laws because I skip right over that when they redo the regs.

It's a GREAT topic though and after seeing Doomsday I can see why more and more people are getting armed. I can also see a parent not liking the gun in the house deal. I can't even remember if anyone has ever asked me if I have a gun.
When our friend from Afghanistan came over he mentioned that show and if we'd ever watched it...neither my husband nor I had before.. but that very next week it came on...not even looking for it and we watched it.

Can't believe how much money they spend on a darn door $8K just for it to get demolished!! I noticed the only people able to afford these bunkers where corporate owners. I want one but I can't afford the price tag that comes with it. They are advertising these things but it's unrealistic that any of the real people out here can afford them. Makes me mad!! I want to be prepared...just in case of a world disaster and all I can afford is food storage, a plan of action, and a gun. But if we needed to go hide out in our bunker I couldn't afford one.

With our friend he is stressing the importance of preparing for a world disaster and to get a gun as well as learn how to operate one. Get all the permits for it as well as license and all so have a game plan. He kept mentioning how to prepare for a break in bc some of you mentioned not being able to get to your firearms in time or being so afraid that you might miss that opportunity. He wants to teach us over and over how to be prepared for anything and not to hesitate. Bc hesitating can be your life. We have a dog also, she is a mix between lab and golden retriever. She loves the kids but not friendly towards strangers or dogs. If she sees us friendly towards another she is watchful but won't approach them. We where going to get a Rottie but my parents did not welcome that ideal. But we had one before I really would like to have another bc those dogs are the best dogs ever and my kids loved him before he died of cancer.

When we move to Tucson there are going to be a lot of changes when I begin doing daycare again out there. A lot of you have been awesome with advise you all!!
Unregistered 11:08 AM 03-29-2012
When our friend from Afghanistan came over he mentioned that show and if we'd ever watched it...neither my husband nor I had before.. but that very next week it came on...not even looking for it and we watched it.

Can't believe how much money they spend on a darn door $8K just for it to get demolished!! I noticed the only people able to afford these bunkers where corporate owners. I want one but I can't afford the price tag that comes with it. They are advertising these things but it's unrealistic that any of the real people out here can afford them. Makes me mad!! I want to be prepared...just in case of a world disaster and all I can afford is food storage, a plan of action, and a gun. But if we needed to go hide out in our bunker I couldn't afford one.

With our friend he is stressing the importance of preparing for a world disaster and to get a gun as well as learn how to operate one. Get all the permits for it as well as license and all so have a game plan. He kept mentioning how to prepare for a break in bc some of you mentioned not being able to get to your firearms in time or being so afraid that you might miss that opportunity. He wants to teach us over and over how to be prepared for anything and not to hesitate. Bc hesitating can be your life. We have a dog also, she is a mix between lab and golden retriever. She loves the kids but not friendly towards strangers or dogs. If she sees us friendly towards another she is watchful but won't approach them. We where going to get a Rottie but my parents did not welcome that ideal. But we had one before I really would like to have another bc those dogs are the best dogs ever and my kids loved him before he died of cancer.

When we move to Tucson there are going to be a lot of changes when I begin doing daycare again out there. A lot of you have been awesome with advise you all!!
If you are looking for a good watch dog who is family-loyal look into Japanese Akitas. I had one and he was the kindest, friendliest, most child-friendly amazing loyal dog I have ever had. But if he sensed trouble he always growled. A long time ago I was walking him and a suspicious man walked a little too close and he was ready to protect me.

Akitas are not other-dog friendly (ours was okay with out lab and golden, but that is rare), and you have to do the Cesar Milan training with them, but he was the best dog in the world.

Your friend is right, btw, about everything you posted. Maybe you dont have a bunker, but you can have a plan of action on what you would do if...

Hubby always jokes that if the "zombies" attack we are going to Wal-mart with all of our friends and turning it into a safe zone. LOL- all the food, ammunition, and guns you need haha!
Michael 03:02 PM 03-29-2012
If you are looking for a good watch dog who is family-loyal look into Japanese Akitas. I had one and he was the kindest, friendliest, most child-friendly amazing loyal dog I have ever had. But if he sensed trouble he always growled. A long time ago I was walking him and a suspicious man walked a little too close and he was ready to protect me.

Akitas are not other-dog friendly (ours was okay with out lab and golden, but that is rare), and you have to do the Cesar Milan training with them, but he was the best dog in the world.

Your friend is right, btw, about everything you posted. Maybe you dont have a bunker, but you can have a plan of action on what you would do if...

Hubby always jokes that if the "zombies" attack we are going to Wal-mart with all of our friends and turning it into a safe zone. LOL- all the food, ammunition, and guns you need haha!
My best friend just put down his Japanese Akita after 15 years due to bad health. He was so in love with that breed that he is getting another one. Great dog.

He writes about her here: http://www.everythingisgoingtobealright.com/
Christian Mother 04:51 PM 03-29-2012
Awwww love akita's!! Michael That picture is too cute!!
Childminder 05:13 PM 03-29-2012
We have to disclose on our signed Child in Care statement that all parents are notified if we have firearms on the premises. We also have to notify if we have pets and if our home was built prior to 1968. The state licensing checks that the parents are notified at inspections.

I grew up with hunters and have hunted myself. When I became licensed I gave my guns to my son so as not to worry about the what ifs. My children's school district also considers pepper spray to be a weapon. I have always wondered how many (women especially) carry it on their person in this 'weapon free zone' to pick up their children and attend school activities. We cannot even send a butter knife to school on special occasions to cut a cake or spread cheese or whatever.
jojosmommy 06:42 PM 03-29-2012
I disclose but only because I am required to do so. Not one client has ever asked for details. All I tell them is that there are firearms on site and they are locked in the manner which licensing requires.

My husbands profession requires daily contact with guns. Everyone who knows me and my husband knows that. Locking guns is the first step to safety, education is also essential.

If someone was to not choose my daycare b/c of guns being present then they don't belong here.

Just a little concidence, I read this post last night but didnt want to type it all into my blackberry hunt and peck style. About 11 pm last night (I am in bed just falling asleep, hubs is brushing teeth to get in bed) we hear a car pull into the driveway, door shut and someone quietly knock, then ring doorbell. ALL the lights in our home are off- except bathroom which you could not see from outside. My husband naturally peeks out the blinds and gets out his gun, goes to the door and checks who is knocking. Hubs answers the door to a prank pizza delivery, and a scared pizza delivery man who knew right away something was up when there were NO lights on in the entire house. My husband did not show his weapon, nor did the delivery guy know he had one. Apparently, someone called in a delivery to our address. Pizza man was just a nervous about ringing the bell as both of us were about who was ringing. Better safe than sorry I say.
Unregistered 06:51 PM 03-29-2012
[quote=Country Kids;212711]There are so many injuries and deaths now from guns and I'm not sure why. Just last week there was a little one shot that had found his daddy's concealed gun under the truck seat. QUOTE]

Actually you are wrong. I've quoted some ACTUAL facts on guns and accidental discharge.

Negligent firearm related death has been falling considerably for many years. The latest "hiccup" was in the year 2001, when it showed a slight 3.4% increase over the year 2000. Other than that, negligent gun related death has fallen steadily since 1904. These rates have dropped mostly because of the efforts by the National Rifle Association, it's more than 67,000 Certified Firearm Instructors.

The rate of negligent firearm related death has decreased by ninety four percent (94%) since its high in 1904. This ninety four percent fall has occurred in the United States as both firearm ownership and our population since 1904 has skyrocketed. There are fewer deaths involving negligent firearm discharges almost every year, but there are more than four million (4,000,000) new firearms being sold each year.

This is one of the most significant success stories ever, but it's almost never heard. All we ever hear about is how much of a problem it is. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not dismissing this preventable tragedy at all. This tremendous fall in negligent firearm related deaths doesn't mean anything to the parent or grandparent attending the wake and funeral of a child who died because of the mishandling of a loaded firearm.

Figures from 2006, which is the latest year for which I have statistics, show that a record low number of Americans died from the negligent discharge of a firearm. In 2006 only 642 Americans died as a result of the mishandling of a loaded gun. That is a death rate of .20 per 100,000, or about 1.7 Americans per day.

If you were to apply the 1904 rate of negligent gun-related death to today's population, we would have seen 10,144 Americans die this way, instead of the 642 that we saw most recently. This drop in negligent discharge death rate of 94% is a phenomenal success. But it is strangely never broadcast in the mainstream media.

In the year 1930, the negligent gun-related death rate fell to 2.9 per 100,000, but our population rose from 82,166,000 in 1904, to 122,775,046 in the year 1930. That means that in the year 1930 we saw approximately 3,560 negligent gun related deaths. Since we saw just 642 deaths in 2006, that is a fall off of the actual number of accidental deaths of 82%. An 82% drop since 1930 and a 94% drop since 1904.
DCBlessings27 07:01 PM 03-29-2012

My aunt and uncle have 2 Akitas. They just had 9 puppies last week over spring break. The dogs can be expensive though. They're hoping to sell the pups for $1000 each (which is apparently what they paid for theirs). They also want to start showing their male to be able to sell the pups for more. I definitely couldn't justify $1K for a dog.
Unregistered 05:32 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by katieica:
My aunt and uncle have 2 Akitas. They just had 9 puppies last week over spring break. The dogs can be expensive though. They're hoping to sell the pups for $1000 each (which is apparently what they paid for theirs). They also want to start showing their male to be able to sell the pups for more. I definitely couldn't justify $1K for a dog.
I paid $1,300 for mine. He was AKC registered, but mostly I paid that much because I was able to finance it and I went through a "stupid" phase where I spent too much money on everything anyway.

But in hindsight, he was worth it!
Unregistered 12:03 PM 03-18-2016
We don't have any fire arms in the house but my husbands best friend is back from Afghanistan and he's a marine. He wears one on him at all times and when he stayed with us he wore it and placed it on the table but unloaded it...I was freaked bc I am scared to death of guns. My husband now wants to get one for him self and me. I don't want one at all but he stresses the importance of protecting ourselves in our own home if someone was ever to try and break in. I need to have access to one to protect the children. Our friend wants to teach up tactics of guarding a house. It seems excessive but then again he's seen things I could never dream to have seen. I would def. be disclosing to the parents that we own guns and also where we keep them as we plan to buy a HUGE safe. That will be in the future though bc we can't afford a gun nor a safe.
I was the same way, then I seen the news and i realize if someone went in my kids school and shot a lot of kids, a office worker with a gun could have stopped all those kids from being harmed. I am going to tell my daycare parents when I finish the process of being licensed that i have a gun in a safe down in the basement.the basement isn't licensed just only the upstairs so this won't be around the kids. I will make it known it is in a safe, it won't be open during daycare hours and I have a door at the bottom of the steps keeping the kids from going down there and the gate at the top of the top of the steps leading down stairs and on the top of the stairs that go up. so there is a gate, another gate,a locked door and a few rooms, then an office with a locked door, then a closet shelf out of their reach with a safe on it that has a pin number and then the guns are inside also. it will be helpful if someone breaks in and tries to harm me and the kids. I can lock them in a room on the top floor and make sure all of the kids are in there. then I will go down and stay on the steps where the entry is to protect my daycare kids. this is if I look outside and I see robbers with guns running to my yard to break in. It will be better than a daycare provider who has no defence in case of a home invasion and their kids were all killed by horrible people because the provider didn't have protection. I doubt it would happen but so do many people and they let their guard down and then it happens. People target daycares now because they announce "its a gun free zone" aka no one here is protected!! (i was against it until reality hit that guns don't kill people, people who hold the guns are the ones killing people) If i don't have one, what protects me from being shot.
Unregistered 12:23 PM 03-18-2016
I am a registered user but due to the sensitivity of this topic I am logging out.

I had an interview the other day and the family asked if we owned any firearms, which prompted this discussion.

(Feel free to log out and answer honestly to protect your anonymity if you like).

Questions that came up in my mind after the interview:

What if we did own firearms? If we keep them outside of the house, then it is none of their business.... right? I should not have to disclose that I own firearms.

What if we own firearms and they are in the house- locked up in a safe, and in an area where children are not allowed and cannot even physically go. In that situation, is it any of their business? It does not affect them or the child.

What if my husband was a police officer/military/security/etc and he kept his gun in the house- is that their business? Woud I be obligated to tell them my husband's work requires that he carry a firearm- then the question becomes- do I now have to disclose information about my family members to potential parents?

What if I had a concealed carry permit, and extensive years of training? Does that make a difference? Would it make a difference if I carried the firearm on walks with the kids, versus if I did not? (I do understand, no matter what your opinion is, that the recent Trayvon Martin case is bringing light to this issue).

As far as firearms are concerned, how much do you say?

In my opinion, if it isn't a factor that would affect the child in any way, then it is none of the parents business. Where does the parental disclosure end? What if you were transexual/homosexual (or had a child that was, etc) - are you obligated to tell the parents that? How much do they need to know?

**I am NOT trying to start any political or controversial issues, so please offer your thoughts and opinions about this sensitive subject in a respectful manner. I was caught off guard by that question and am wondering what other people think about parents asking it, and how they woud answer. Also, where does the disclosure stop? Thanks~
by law you don't have to tell them if you're in michigan.. my law is:

Rule 35. (1) All firearms shall be unloaded and properly stored in a secure, safe, locked environment inaccessible
to children. A secure locked environment shall include a commercially available locked firearms cabinet,
gun safe, trigger lock that prevents discharge, or other locking firearm device.
(2) Ammunition shall be stored in a separate locked location inaccessible to children.
(3) Firearms shall not be traded or sold on the premises while child care children are present.

then it moves on to rules about animals and says all parents need to be notified of animals.. it doesn't say that about firearms though. I will notify if I am asked but there is no way anyone will know unless they come in and snoop when I don't know they are here. even then they can't open my safe to see what is inside.
Controlled Chaos 09:41 PM 03-18-2016
Old thread but a great read
Silly Songs 12:57 AM 03-19-2016
A friend's child was accidentally shot playing at another person's home many years ago. I don't let my children go to homes with guns. Ever. I always ask when they are going to a home they have never been before. The person who killed my friend's child " always kept the gun locked up" until the day they didn't. It's an emotional issue for me.
Tags:disclosure, firearms, parents - enquiring, personal information, security
Reply Up