Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Charge For This?
finsup 10:20 AM 02-11-2014
Ok, so my rates have been pretty much 30/day for the past year and a half. I've allowed families to pay a daily rate, not charging when they aren't here. Worked fine until my last two families took advantage of it and now really considering just doing a "flat weekly rate" instead. But anyways, I got an email regarding care this morning and this is what the family is looking for:
Part time. 2-3 days a week, roughly 9-2 or 9-4. 2 year old boy to start immediately, 5 month old girl to start in a few months (not sure if she's 5 months now or will be at the time she starts). I'm at a loss on what to charge...30/day was typically for 9-10 hours and this would be a lot less then that. My rates are the same for any age, and have only had single child families (except my first one but I won't even go there with how many mistakes I made on payments/what to charge them!) so I don't know...what do you think? 20/day (one child) is the low side for this area, 35/day (one child) is on the high side...I try to stay somewhere in the middle
Cat Herder 10:29 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by finsup:
I've allowed families to pay a daily rate, not charging when they aren't here.

2-3 days a week, roughly 9-2 or 9-4. 2 year old boy to start immediately, 5 month old girl to start in a few months
I would need consistent income to be willing to sign them on. Flat rate would be the only option. I really have no interest in whether they attend or not.

If they don't know, for sure, what days/times they need then I'd require a full time slot, full-time rate, paid in advance or their slot will be filled from the wait list.

Again, I need a consistent income and don't have an interest in waiting on them to get their ducks in a row.

I don't care if they only use 6 hours, instead of 9. The slot was filled for the day.

When I did part time they had a choice of two slots. One slot was Monday-Wednesday-Friday; the other slot was Tuesday-Thursday. There was NO substituting days because the other slot was filled by a paying client. HTH
jenn 10:49 AM 02-11-2014
I charge a flat rate per day. I am open from 7:15-6:00. I charge $30 per day. What hours they come are up to them.

To some, it can sound unfair that one kid comes only 4 hours and pays $30 and another kid is here for 10 hours and pays $30. My rational for that is, they are paying for a spot.
Second Home 11:03 AM 02-11-2014
I would personally charge the full day price for the first child and then a sibling discount rate for the second . 30 for the first child and 25 for the second . I would also sign a part time agreement for the 3 days a week whether they come or not for those days .
TheGoodLife 11:27 AM 02-11-2014
I had a temporary DCG (15 months, came just while DCM's work hours extended for the holidays). She came 1-5 ish 3 days a week. I still quoted her my $100 rate for 3 days, and she paid. I think she asked about it once, and I said it still took up a spot- that I couldn't fill in the AM with another child- and that was that. I see the parents' side, but it isn't our fault/ business/ whatever that they aren't using the full day- a spot is a spot Would they give us extra money b/c we were in a situation where we needed it? Then I don't see why we have to give up our money to help them, KWIM?
TwinKristi 02:48 PM 02-11-2014
I like the $30/25 sibling discount thing but some people don't offer sibling discounts. I offered something similar for a family with a similar situation as yours. 20 month old starting in March and new baby starting at 6mos in Nov. I told her it would be $50/day for the older boy and discounted to $45 when the new baby comes and $50/day for the new baby. So $5/day discount for the 2nd child. I had a DCB who's sister would come occasionally and I didn't discount their rate since it was drop in only.
Tags:flat rate, part time, part time rate
Reply Up