Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thermometer
Fruitloops1 07:16 PM 08-13-2012
What kind(brand/type) of thermometer do you use for daycare kids?
SilverSabre25 08:36 PM 08-13-2012
I have an underarm and a temple thermometer and they are all right. I usually take a temp three times and average the results because I find that they are all unreliable. I switch sides of the kid's body, too.
littlemissmuffet 09:56 PM 08-13-2012
I love my Safety 1st digital thermometers - and I ONLY test via the rectum as the rectal method consistently gives the most accurate results. I use "probe covers" for health/saftey reasons.
Michael 11:30 PM 08-13-2012
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=thermometer
Crazy8 04:50 AM 08-14-2012
I use an ear thermometer. Thought of getting the temple one but wasn't sure if they were much better.

And I always take the childs temp in presence of the parent when they pick the child up. It avoids the "it wasn't high when we got home" responses.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:15 AM 08-14-2012
I just bought the Vick's that takes the temp behind the ear. It is very quick and seems accurate... at least right now
Fruitloops1 06:42 AM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I love my Safety 1st digital thermometers - and I ONLY test via the rectum as the rectal method consistently gives the most accurate results. I use "probe covers" for health/saftey reasons.
My sister(she's an RN) said the same thing about the rectal thermometer, but I dont know, I feel....worried. I would have to check with licensing here in IL if I would be allowed to use one.
Crazy8 09:26 AM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by Azra11:
My sister(she's an RN) said the same thing about the rectal thermometer, but I dont know, I feel....worried. I would have to check with licensing here in IL if I would be allowed to use one.
I feel strange doing rectal too - think some of my 3-4 year olds would look at me like you are putting that WHERE???? I figure if I can feel a kid is warm by hand a thermometer is just to verify and have a parent pick up. I am not that concerned if its off by up to a degree unless its showing it is 103+ but I've never had a kid that high since I'm usually going to notice before it gets to that point.
AnneCordelia 09:52 AM 08-14-2012
I also use a rectal on my "under 30lbs" group because I find my ear thermometer doesn't get accurate results in the little ears. But everyone else gets the ear thermometer. I use probe covers for both.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:24 AM 08-14-2012
In ohio you can not take a rectal temp on any age group. You must use some type of digital thermometer .. can't use one of the accurate glass ones even under the arm. Can't take a temp in the mouth either.
Sprouts 06:48 PM 08-14-2012
I use the short stubby safety 1st and ARC rectal thermometers and clean thoroughly with alcohol wipes and bleach spray. (with the 2 and under) I use the ear thermometer for the older kids, it's usually a degree off so if it says 99.6 then I know it's over a 100. I don't know of it being against licensing here but I will double check now.
Tags:thermometer
Reply Up