Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Question
springv 03:13 PM 04-15-2019
Had a girl that was a senior in high school and attended our local tech school as well come and volunteer with us for 2 months and only wanted 10 hours per week. Week before Last was her last week with us 😪. Last week our administrator asked her if she would come In and work 3 hours because she only worked 1 hour one day and actually got paid for 4 hours by the program that she was doing this through. What's your opinions on this?
LittleExplorers 05:11 PM 04-15-2019
What are the program's rules? If it was a job, she would not have been paid. Did she report working and completing the hours? If so, she needs to complete the hours. If not, my vote would be no. Sometimes the class they are taking requires x hours for completion and the administrator has to sign off that their hours are accurate.
springv 06:10 PM 04-15-2019
There wasn't actually any rules if I was mistaken we just got a call from the local trade school that someone was needing hours and how much were needed and asked if we needed a volunteer. Our administrator didn't sign off on anything because that was the girl's responsibility. All we had to do was mail in her timesheets to a lady and the rest was history.
tlemother 06:35 PM 04-15-2019
I can see both sides of it. I would ask her to come in and if she doesn't want to then I would let it go. Do you really want someone coming in to be around the kids who doesn't want to be there. I can understand that technically she didn't complete the program and but I would just sign off on the paper and be done with her.
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 04-16-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
Had a girl that was a senior in high school and attended our local tech school as well come and volunteer with us for 2 months and only wanted 10 hours per week. Week before Last was her last week with us 😪. Last week our administrator asked her if she would come In and work 3 hours because she only worked 1 hour one day and actually got paid for 4 hours by the program that she was doing this through. What's your opinions on this?

She volunteered. She isn't a paid employee TO the child care. She's paid via whatever program she's enrolled/partnered with. How much she's paid vs how many hours she actually worked is between her and the program she is working through.

Maybe she completed these hours in another facility or somewhere else.

Your director has no right to ask her to return.
Wondering how your director knows how many hours she was paid for anyways. Seems to me that is something the program director (of the High School program) would handle. NOT the director of the facility the VOLUNTEER hours were preformed at.

I don't think the girl needs to return.

I've had volunteers from a high school program come work in my child care before.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:02 AM 04-16-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
She volunteered. She isn't a paid employee TO the child care. She's paid via whatever program she's enrolled/partnered with. How much she's paid vs how many hours she actually worked is between her and the program she is working through.

Maybe she completed these hours in another facility or somewhere else.

Your director has no right to ask her to return.
Wondering how your director knows how many hours she was paid for anyways. Seems to me that is something the program director (of the High School program) would handle. NOT the director of the facility the VOLUNTEER hours were preformed at.

I don't think the girl needs to return.

I've had volunteers from a high school program come work in my child care before.
I agree with this. She was a volunteer in your child care facility, so her payment is the responsibility of her program. Your director really has no right to ask her to return and volunteer more time to your childcare program, unless she plans to pay her for it as an employee. If the tech program overpaid her, that is between her and the program director, but definitely not your director.
springv 01:52 PM 04-16-2019
Our director doesn't know what she was paid for but knows that she needed 10 hours per week and allowed her to work as much or as little as needed. She never done anything anyways while she was there just observed because we done everything else. She got there at 2pm and stayed until 5 or 6 PM plus she was on her phone. We all got told that we couldn't be on our phones if we had a class or were watching kids, but she never got told that.
springv 01:53 PM 04-16-2019
I'm an teacher assistant but I don't get paid and am allowed to work as much or little as I want to.
AmyKidsCo 01:35 PM 04-18-2019
ITA with BlackCat also (no surprise!)

When I had a TEACH scholarship I was paid for 15 hours "release time" so I could pay a sub. Instead of getting a sub I studied late at night, but I didn't have to pay the money back because it was part of the program.

Seems like this is the same thing. The agreement is between the student and her program, not your director. If time spent in your program is an issue, that would be between the program and the lady the timesheets were mailed to.
springv 03:40 PM 04-18-2019
But I don't understand why she was asked to come back and work if we didn't pay her
Tags:assistant, helper, student, student helper
Reply Up