Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Think of DCK in Uniforms?
Daycare Darling 10:10 AM 02-11-2020
What do you all think of kids in uniforms? After my last 2 kids leave soon I'm going to take some time off and revamp my dc a bit before I refill all spots for my new group. I'm thinking of investing in uniforms for myself and the kids for multiple reasons. Some of the reasons are that it would be convenient, like that they will always be wearing something I approve of obviously also seeing as I'd never need spare cloths for them- whatever they've worn in will be a spare and it would always be seasonally appropriate so no nagging parents to bring spares when they've used them and less space taken up in cubbies. Another is for safety. If God forbid anything happen on an outing police will know exactly what they were wearing. Also just in general they will be easy to spot and keep track of. It will also give myself and more importantly the parents a sense of professionalism since my daycare is so small (I can't take more than 5) especially if I am also in uniform.

But the real reason is I saw my friend's preschooler in uniform and I almost DIED of cuteness overload ❤️
Cat Herder 10:32 AM 02-11-2020
Will you be changing them into and out of them daily? Will they be kept at your home?
Rockgirl 01:23 PM 02-11-2020
Ok, this is just me giving my opinion. I think it’s overkill for a home daycare. If you’re planning to do field trips, you could do T-shirts in one color, to easily distinguish your group.
Blackcat31 02:02 PM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by Daycare Darling:
What do you all think of kids in uniforms? After my last 2 kids leave soon I'm going to take some time off and revamp my dc a bit before I refill all spots for my new group. I'm thinking of investing in uniforms for myself and the kids for multiple reasons. Some of the reasons are that it would be convenient, like that they will always be wearing something I approve of obviously also seeing as I'd never need spare cloths for them- whatever they've worn in will be a spare and it would always be seasonally appropriate so no nagging parents to bring spares when they've used them and less space taken up in cubbies. Another is for safety. If God forbid anything happen on an outing police will know exactly what they were wearing. Also just in general they will be easy to spot and keep track of. It will also give myself and more importantly the parents a sense of professionalism since my daycare is so small (I can't take more than 5) especially if I am also in uniform.

But the real reason is I saw my friend's preschooler in uniform and I almost DIED of cuteness overload ❤️
I don't understand what you mean by wearing something you approve of?

Would the parent pay for them? what happens as they age/grow? Does the parent have to buy another one?
Do the parents get to keep them if they age out or quit your program?

If you buy them, are you prepared to buy enough for growth spurts etc...

I dunno but wearing someone else's uniform seems kinda gross to me....

It might be cute but still....as a parent.... uniforms being required for my child would be a firm nope.

That is strictly MY opinion though as others may see things completely different than I do but I hate uniforms or any kind for anyone not in the military or in some line of work requiring specific clothing.

Another option is maybe just requiring parents to send their kid in blue pants and gray shirts without decals, words or cartoon figures. (For example)

That way the kids that hate long pants or pants with cuffs or snaps or those that hate button up shorts or T-shirts with pockets or hoodies with thumb holes can be accommodated.
flying_babyb 05:30 PM 02-11-2020
For feild trips and outings yes- any other time? seems like overkill. If they come in somthing you dont approve of you can just change them out. For feild trips, we did all yellow shirts and then we took a bleach pen and made a sunsine on each. On the back we did you are my sunshine. Our tiny center was "You are my sunshine childcare"
Daycare Darling 05:50 PM 02-11-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't understand what you mean by wearing something you approve of?

Would the parent pay for them? what happens as they age/grow? Does the parent have to buy another one?
Do the parents get to keep them if they age out or quit your program?

If you buy them, are you prepared to buy enough for growth spurts etc...

I dunno but wearing someone else's uniform seems kinda gross to me....

It might be cute but still....as a parent.... uniforms being required for my child would be a firm nope.

That is strictly MY opinion though as others may see things completely different than I do but I hate uniforms or any kind for anyone not in the military or in some line of work requiring specific clothing.

Another option is maybe just requiring parents to send their kid in blue pants and gray shirts without decals, words or cartoon figures. (For example)

That way the kids that hate long pants or pants with cuffs or snaps or those that hate button up shorts or T-shirts with pockets or hoodies with thumb holes can be accommodated.
An example something I disapprove of would be wearing PJs to daycare or a costume with no clothes under or a giant dress or to be honest one piece clothing in general that makes it take longer to do diaper changes. Or when dummy parents send them in clothes too hot or cold for the season.

Parents wouldn't pay for or own them they would have nothing to do with the uniforms they would be changed into them at drop off (I change thier diapers anyway because I never know how long they've been in them) and back into the clothes they can in before pick up. I would have a few in every size and I would wash them in a sanitary wash like the bedding and washcloths and such.

I see where you're coming from though, I love uniforms it gives a sense of belonging for me but I guess that parts just opinion based.
Ariana 06:34 PM 02-11-2020
Just reinforce your clothing policies. Turn kids and families away at the door when they show up dressed inappropriately! It will only happen once trust me.

I had a newly potty trained kid come in floofy princess dresses and I had to tell mom to stop because she can’t use the toilet independently with it on. She listened. I have also sent parents home to get winter gear etc.

I think uniforms in the end will only make your job harder.
Unregistered 06:41 PM 02-11-2020
I think you would turn off more people than people who would like it. I personally am against uniforms for several reasons. Maybe a school t-shirt would be acceptable for field trips but an every day uniform for daycare no way unless you are providing me with 5 - 10 uniforms. I am not doing laundry every couple of days just to wash a uniform.
LittleExplorers 07:51 AM 02-12-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Just reinforce your clothing policies. Turn kids and families away at the door when they show up dressed inappropriately! It will only happen once trust me.

I had a newly potty trained kid come in floofy princess dresses and I had to tell mom to stop because she can’t use the toilet independently with it on. She listened. I have also sent parents home to get winter gear etc.

I think uniforms in the end will only make your job harder.
This! Send them away at the door if they are not in what you consider appropriate.
littlefriends 11:17 AM 02-12-2020
I always make sure I’ve got enough bright orange t shirts for everybody each spring and have them wear them anytime we walk anywhere outside of my fence. Super easy to keep count, see where all are at all times, and to describe what they’re wearing if someone ever went missing. I also wear one but mine says the name of my daycare on the back. Uniforms are cute on tiny kids but I’d imagine that being a pain.
Tags:clothing - issues, clothing policies, school uniforms, turnover, uniform
Reply Up