Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Moving!!!! What would you change?
Dia 05:58 AM 03-06-2014
I am moving April 1st. I will be going from registered to licensed home daycare. I will be living in a much nicer home in a higher end neighborhood.

What would you change if you were moving?

I am changing my daycare name, and making the parents do all new paperwork (I am only moving about 5 miles so most if not all families will be sticking with me)

I offer extended hour care but I will not be accepting any children beyond the ones I have now for late hours. I want to go from 5a-5p (I have a couple of 5a dck that are usually gone by 2:30 or 3, the 5p is just to catch maybe 6 or 7am kiddos)

I am switching to contracted hours and doing a major overhaul on my policies. Any daycare parent that does not agree with new rates or policies will be given 2 weeks at their current rate before be termed but will still have to sign the policies. Is this fair?

Most parents are paying close to what my contracted hour rates will be within $5-$10 per week, so I am sure everyone will agree with the exception of one....his rate will be going up $35/week......he has the early morning schedule that I want to switch over to completely except he comes from 3:30-10:30 two nights a week......is it fair to give this big of a price increase or should I meet in the middle? Or maybe do a $25/week increase......?

I know this is a lot to ask all at once but any input would be great, I am trying to get my wheels spinning...

-What policies would you change or add?
-How would you arrange or set up your new daycare space?
-Is there anything different or special you would add to your backyard?
All suggestions are welcome
Dia 06:30 AM 03-06-2014
I know that is kind of hard to answer because you don't know all the things that I already do. Maybe a better question would be,

What are some of the things you like best about your daycare as far as policies, set-up, etc.? What are some things you implemented that make your daycare run smoother?
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by Dia:
I know that is kind of hard to answer because you don't know all the things that I already do. Maybe a better question would be,

What are some of the things you like best about your daycare as far as policies, set-up, etc.? What are some things you implemented that make your daycare run smoother?
For me personally, it was the CLEAR divide between MY responsibilities and parental responsibilities. I don't expect them to do my job and I won't do theirs.

Also policies should be talked about and CLEARLY defined upfront so that ALL parents know what my expectations are and vice versa.

I read often providers who say things like "I waived the late fee because she was new or it was her first week". That always confuses me because why would you give someone the benefit of the doubt when you don't know or trust them yet??

I've waived fees and policies before but only AFTER I've developed a working relationship with a family and I KNOW there is a mutual trust and respect between us. THOSE are the families that deserve the "benefit of the doubt" IMHO.

Another thing I do that helps my business run smoothly is to NOT get personally involved in any client's lives and/or issues.

Sure we become friendly during our working together years but I don't do any personal socializing with clients while they are clients.

I know lots of providers who welcome families into their families with open arms. NOTHING wrong with that. Just not something that works for me. Plus doing that invites all sorts of issues into the working relationship.

Other than that, CONGRATULATIONS on the move and good for you for thinking far enough in advance to know that changes are obviously needed or you wouldn't be considering them...
cheerfuldom 09:52 AM 03-06-2014
Honestly, I would cut your hours even more. Either offer early morning care and be done by 3pm or offer reasonable morning drop 730am and have all kids picked up by 5pm. Now is your chance to shorten your work hours and increase the rate. 12 hour days is a lot, even with contracted hours plus that kid that stays extra? wow.

If I did extended hours....

Right now I am open 7:30 to 5:30 with parents contracted for no more than 9 hours during that time frame. IF I was to take any kids past their 9 hour max, I would charge $10 for each extra hour within my business hours, $15 to $20 for each hour outside of my business hours including early morning, evening or weekend. The goal is to force parents within my business hours or have them leave for other care.
Reply Up