Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stop Biting the Crib!
MomBoss 12:06 PM 05-13-2019
How do you keep babies/toddlers from biting the crib and ruining the wood? Licensing is really strict on pack and plays so i got rid of them. But they also dont approve of the "rough wood" on the crib.
Michael 12:48 PM 05-13-2019
Go Mama Go Organic Teething Guard Protects Baby and Crib

Go Mama Go Designs® 52-Inch x 6-Inch Teething Guard in Grey & White

Blackcat31 12:59 PM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
How do you keep babies/toddlers from biting the crib and ruining the wood? Licensing is really strict on pack and plays so i got rid of them. But they also dont approve of the "rough wood" on the crib.
I know this doesn't really help now but I train my littles from the very beginning to never stand in the crib.

They are picked up ONLY when in a sitting position.
I've used sleep sacks for warmth and they double as something that prevents standing and/or climbing quickly.

My crib is right in eye sight so when I have an infant using a crib and they begin to stand, I stop them. Rinse and repeat and eventually they simply learn that sitting is the way to get out. lol!

PNP's aren't hard for licensing. You just can't have any holes in the mesh and you need to have sheets that fit tightly. Other than that, there really is no difference between cribs and PNP's as far as licensing requirements go. Both require monthly checks and tight fitting sheets.

Is your licensing department saying you need to do more than that?
MomBoss 01:13 PM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I know this doesn't really help now but I train my littles from the very beginning to never stand in the crib.

They are picked up ONLY when in a sitting position.
I've used sleep sacks for warmth and they double as something that prevents standing and/or climbing quickly.

My crib is right in eye sight so when I have an infant using a crib and they begin to stand, I stop them. Rinse and repeat and eventually they simply learn that sitting is the way to get out. lol!

PNP's aren't hard for licensing. You just can't have any holes in the mesh and you need to have sheets that fit tightly. Other than that, there really is no difference between cribs and PNP's as far as licensing requirements go. Both require monthly checks and tight fitting sheets.

Is your licensing department saying you need to do more than that?
My licensor hates them personally, so she goes out of her way to find issues with it. I couldnt find the hole she said i had in one.
AmyKidsCo 01:15 PM 05-13-2019
That's a much nicer alternative the "Hot sauce!" that popped into my head. Not that I'd actually do that...
Cat Herder 01:44 PM 05-13-2019
Cheap alternative: pool noodles.
Cat Herder 01:45 PM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
My licensor hates them personally, so she goes out of her way to find issues with it. I couldnt find the hole she said i had in one.
Mine, too. They cannot be cleaned thoroughly (cardboard mat) so are "discouraged". I used to buy each child their own upon enrollment, then toss out when the child turned 12 months.

Now I have the metal evacuation mini-cribs.
Michael 01:46 PM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That's a good idea!
Ariana 02:32 PM 05-13-2019
I would be worried this would be a choking hazard. Some of those noodles are easy to bite off chunks....maybe if it was wrapped in fabric.
lovemykidstoo 03:07 PM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would be worried this would be a choking hazard. Some of those noodles are easy to bite off chunks....maybe if it was wrapped in fabric.
That was my immediate thought.
MomBoss 05:28 PM 05-13-2019

I want to get this. I just wasnt sure if there is a rule on this or what can be on a crib.
Cat Herder 04:25 AM 05-14-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I expect supervision would prevent that. Naptime is supervised time. I can't imagine a child being standing that long before being laid back down or put back down on the floor to play. It is only 20 minutes before they are asleep or back down per regs. It also is a very short period of time that they should be in a crib after learning to stand.
Ariana 07:48 AM 05-14-2019
I expect supervision would prevent that. Naptime is supervised time. I can't imagine a child being standing that long before being laid back down or put back down on the floor to play. It is only 20 minutes before they are asleep or back down per regs. It also is a very short period of time that they should be in a crib after learning to stand.
I think supervision would prevent biting the crib in the first place too! My kids are not permitted to stand either because I pop them back down every time with a firm “lie down”.
hwichlaz 11:18 AM 05-14-2019
I'd use a clear plastic teething guard intended for cribs. We aren't supposed to attach ANYTHING to cribs so other attachments would be too obvious and I'd get in trouble. The clear plastic teething guards look like part of the crib. https://www.amazon.com/KidKusion-270...%2C269&sr=8-24
Tags:bite marks on cribs, blackcat, supervised nap, teething, teething on wooden cribs
Reply Up