Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long To Do You Wait For DCP To Arrive?
MARSTELAC 06:12 AM 01-03-2012
I got the first batch on the bus today. Everyone else called off but one. She is off and hasn't decided if the kids are coming over. Well, she finally just called and said sometime after 10:30 but in time for lunch at 11:15.

I've got no one else here today until 3:30. How long is one expected to wait around to find out if people are coming or not? Is it too much to ask for them to maintain the normal schedule (which would have been 7:15 a.m.)? I have been waiting since early this a.m. for them to make up their mind.

People have no manners anymore. I could've gone and run some errands for the day or done something fun.

Meyou 06:32 AM 01-03-2012
I don't allow dropoffs after 9am without special arrangements. They have to call by then if they aren't going to attend too. We have stuff to do and places to be sometimes.
MARSTELAC 06:36 AM 01-03-2012
I should change my NAME to pushover. Or Ye-without-backbone. Or just have SCHMUCK tattooed on my forehead.
MyAngels 06:56 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I don't allow dropoffs after 9am without special arrangements. They have to call by then if they aren't going to attend too. We have stuff to do and places to be sometimes.
This is what I do, too.

Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
I should change my NAME to pushover. Or Ye-without-backbone. Or just have SCHMUCK tattooed on my forehead.
Don't be so hard on yourself . I think we've all BTDT at some time or other.
Meyou 07:02 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
This is what I do, too.

Don't be so hard on yourself . I think we've all BTDT at some time or other.
I totally agree. Huge learning curve in this job.
Heidi 07:29 AM 01-03-2012
To Parent:

I don't know if you know this, but I have no other children today. It would be really nice if you could be firm about your arrival time today, so that I can go run some errands. You KNOW how hard it is to get things done some days! We working mom's are always juggling everything!
MARSTELAC 07:30 AM 01-03-2012
This is awesome! I will use it next time. Cause I'm sure it will happen again LOL!
Thanks guys, for allowing me my vent time.
littlemissmuffet 07:44 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
I got the first batch on the bus today. Everyone else called off but one. She is off and hasn't decided if the kids are coming over. Well, she finally just called and said sometime after 10:30 but in time for lunch at 11:15.

I've got no one else here today until 3:30. How long is one expected to wait around to find out if people are coming or not? Is it too much to ask for them to maintain the normal schedule (which would have been 7:15 a.m.)? I have been waiting since early this a.m. for them to make up their mind.

People have no manners anymore. I could've gone and run some errands for the day or done something fun.

I don't allow drop-offs after 9am unless I have been provided with at least 24 hours notice OR if a parent calls within 30 minutes of their regular drop-off to let me know they will be late. If I don't get either of those notices, I'm going on with my day and I can't guaratee I'll be here to recieve your child. I do not call to see where parents/kids are. Not my responsibility.
Ariana 09:30 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
This is written in my contract as well. We usually go outside around then and I'm not waiting!! I also have a 24 hr notice if they can't attend at all.
texascare 09:32 AM 01-03-2012
I agree with littlemissmuffett. I have it in my contract that all children are to arrive by 9 am unless otherwise pre-arranged. If asked, I say it is a disruption in my day and the schedules of the children here.
Cat Herder 09:33 AM 01-03-2012
My cut-off time is 10 am without prior arrangements (I open at 8).

A two-hour window is plenty, IMHO.

My own mother would start calling hospitals or leave after waiting 2 hours for me.
Ariana 10:03 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
To Parent:

I don't know if you know this, but I have no other children today. It would be really nice if you could be firm about your arrival time today, so that I can go run some errands. You KNOW how hard it is to get things done some days! We working mom's are always juggling everything!
I used to word EVERYTHING like this before my husband pointed out that using sentences like "I don't know if you know" or "It would be really nice" and making jokes is too wishy washy and unbusiness like. I'm not picking on you, it's just I've BTDT and never do this anymore. I had to learn to be much more business like and firm when communicating with parents because they see this wishy washiness as you not really caring kwim?

I would word it as "Please bring your child no later than 9am today after which time the daycare will be closed. I will require 24 hr notice if you decide to keep your child at home. This will allow me to carry on with my day....thank you." Very to the point and business like. I used to get heart palpitations when I'd first send e-mails like this but now it's no big deal and no one questions my authority!!
Tags:cut off time, drop off issues, drop off policy
Reply Up