Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Get Rid Of Bumblebees?
SandeeAR 03:16 PM 03-23-2011
I've never had a problem with Bumblebees anywhere else I have lived. We tried, twice today to go outside. However, the Bumblebees would not leave. With a 16 mo and 12 mo, I just couldn't stay outside. I didn't feel I could get them both fast enough and get inside, if the Bumblebees got angry.

Anybody have a way to get rid of them? I have the house sprayed every three months. They are due the end of the month. I plan to call them tomorrow and see if it is something they can spray for. If not, any ideas?

They are hovering close to the ground about 6 feet outside the door.
daycare 03:31 PM 03-23-2011
I hear ya on that. I wish I knew. I have frog issues. Lol
I love spring!!!
jessrlee 03:41 PM 03-23-2011
During a training last year they taught us to make bug traps (they actually work!)

Take a 2 ltr bottle and cut off the top right below the curve. Fill the bottom portion with sugar water, soda, something to attract them, and then put the top on upside down. The bugs will fly down the hole but won't be able to fly back out again!
Mrs.Ky 03:52 PM 03-23-2011
Do you live in NC by chance lol? We have ALOT of bumble bees flying going from flower bush to flower bush. Actually you dont have to worry about bumble bees they are NOT aggressive bees now they will sting if they fly into you or if you step on them. The bees you need watch out for are the wasp they are very aggressive bees we have those around outside of the house also.
DCMomOf3 05:13 PM 03-23-2011
if they are bumblebees and are just pollinating the flowers they are not anything I would worry about. If they are hornets/yellow jackets, You have to find and get rid of the hive. If they are congregating at a certain spot in the yard they probably have a ground nest. Have someone willing to do it (Hubbies are good) spray the daylights out of the hole. Then have the guys who spray help make sure you got the nest. that's my advice.
Abigail 11:32 PM 03-23-2011
LOL, the first thing I thought of reading your subject line was....
"I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee, won't my mom be so proud of me......" song ha ha. I don't know anything about bumblebees actually. If we have any here they should be frozen right now.
Stacy214 03:37 AM 03-24-2011
I live in NC and the yellow jackets are horrible right now, one flew in yesterday luckily I was able to kill it fast

I'm going to try the bottle thing....and I will have hubby look around for a nest ugh...
melissa ann 03:59 AM 03-24-2011
We have bumblebees but they don't bother me. I also have a garden and we had a handfull of yellowjackets as well as bumble bees that pollunated the garden. We didn't have problems with them last year. The bees minded their own business and we did the same. However, we had some nasty wasps, they were blue, and hovered over the ground. They would come out about 9-9:30 in the morning and be out all day. Especially if it was really hot day. So we would go out about 8 and play. We did go on the front porch to play, as it's pretty big. We were told to do the water/soda bottle thing, but we only got 1 large fly. LOL! I told my hubby that they probably have a nest under ground since they hovered a few inches over the ground, but he didn't believe me. HE would spend Sat/Sun monrings trying to kill them with a fly swatter. Let me tell ya, you would need a hammer to kill those suckers. They refused to die. He did get some. We never had any wasps before last year. My 6 yr dd said, maybe since we had a really cold winter, that they died under ground. We can only hope.
dEHmom 04:40 AM 03-24-2011
Please clarify,
Are you bumblebees or wasps???? Big differences.

Bees will not sting unless they are threatened because they will die.

Wasps you can catch by the pop bottle trap mentioned above, and then filling it with BARQ's or MUGS rootbeer, beer, or syrup. They work better than any other pops.

I don't know if this is true, but you can google it, it's either garlic or onions in a bowl keeps the wasps away.
SandeeAR 04:59 AM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
Please clarify,
Are you bumblebees or wasps???? Big differences.

Bees will not sting unless they are threatened because they will die.

Wasps you can catch by the pop bottle trap mentioned above, and then filling it with BARQ's or MUGS rootbeer, beer, or syrup. They work better than any other pops.

I don't know if this is true, but you can google it, it's either garlic or onions in a bowl keeps the wasps away.

I'm asking about Bumblebees. I know what to do about wasps. I've just never had to deal with bumblebees.
Plus, I know the bug guys can spray for wasp.
dEHmom 06:15 AM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I'm asking about Bumblebees. I know what to do about wasps. I've just never had to deal with bumblebees.
Plus, I know the bug guys can spray for wasp.
Ok, sorry, just so many people refer to wasps/yellowjackets as bumblebees.

The bees are extremely important to have around. And unless they are actually in direct line of fire of you or the children, i'd leave them alone to be honest.

The bees are disappearing all over the world, and the truth is, that without them, we won't have much. Food, color and everything will disappear. So the GOOD bug guys won't harm them, they will simply relocate them. Might be worth looking into.
Unregistered 06:22 AM 03-24-2011
As many types of bees are endangered, I leave them be. The children are taught to respect the bees and give them some space. Wasps on the other hand are a huge problem for me in the fall. Those I kill with pleasure, they are persistent/aggressive little buggers.
SandeeAR 06:31 AM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
Ok, sorry, just so many people refer to wasps/yellowjackets as bumblebees.

The bees are extremely important to have around. And unless they are actually in direct line of fire of you or the children, i'd leave them alone to be honest.

The bees are disappearing all over the world, and the truth is, that without them, we won't have much. Food, color and everything will disappear. So the GOOD bug guys won't harm them, they will simply relocate them. Might be worth looking into.
They ARE in the direct line of fire. About 6' out my back door between my patio and all the kids toys, and the play area!

I just talked to the bug guy. He said he had been getting a lot of calls in the last few days. Most likely they are wood boring, into the eaves of the house. If we can find out where, they can dust that, and they will move on. I'm suppose to call him today, when they show up again and let him come look.
SilverSabre25 08:29 AM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
They ARE in the direct line of fire. About 6' out my back door between my patio and all the kids toys, and the play area!

I just talked to the bug guy. He said he had been getting a lot of calls in the last few days. Most likely they are wood boring, into the eaves of the house. If we can find out where, they can dust that, and they will move on. I'm suppose to call him today, when they show up again and let him come look.
the wood boring kind (Carpenter bees) are pretty much harmless to humans. We have them all over our yard; our neighbor has the same problem. She told me last year that she has tried for years to find the source of them, but they seem to be in someone's yard who hasn't noticed and doesn't care enough to kill the nest.

We also have a big wasp problem; before the weather gets too warm I'm taking a bunch of steps to eliminate them this year (welll....wait, let me specify: if I'm not too pregnant to manage this, lol, it might have to wait) such as taking the shutters off the house and cutting down the holly tree/bush that they seemed to love last year. Also learned from our neighbor that the previous owners had problems with the wasps for years.

I am planning on planting a bunch of (native) honeybee-attracting and butterfly-attracting plants, flowers, and bushes in my yard. I want to be friendly to the friendly bugs. Honeybees are good.
daysofelijah 09:38 AM 03-24-2011
We had a bumblebee nest under our shed for a few years and they never bothered anyone. We moved the shed from the front to the backyard last spring and they moved away.
dEHmom 03:31 PM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
We had a bumblebee nest under our shed for a few years and they never bothered anyone. We moved the shed from the front to the backyard last spring and they moved away.
yes, move the next and they will follow, but if they come back from hunting and the nest is gone, they die.
Unregistered 08:28 PM 07-25-2011
I have found about 15-20 bumble bees in my house, some living some dead. How do I find the nest? I suspect they are coming from the basement.
Unregistered 06:01 PM 09-06-2015
What You do is get really close to them with a stick and tickle em. They'll laugh so hard their wings will buzz off, and then you'll have just a bunch of buzzing walking beetles. They'll then just walk away. It ego friendly and safe for the kids as no pesticides are used.
As for the Wasps we had some of those, of and some other people wantes to comment so amicably about they also had some of those. They are like the Griswalds pesky inlaws and won't just go away. If You use the bottle trap method or use a few shoe boxes ,You could set up a saloon for them. And Yes I believe they like Barqs root beer to A and W, but some just like the good stuff, good ol fashioned Hooch. Break open a cold one and they'll hang out with You, and even though theyre Your pesky neighbors, since You shared a beer with them, they probably won't break into your home or bother Your children, but I cant assure the same thing for Your othwr neighbors.
Thriftylady 06:56 PM 09-06-2015
Google bee keepers. Many times they will come help you get rid of them. It costs a little. I had to do it once, and back then it cost me $15 but he also gave me a quart of honey.
Josiegirl 03:15 AM 09-07-2015
I know it's an oldie of a post but had to laugh at the post above Thriftylady's.
Mariahsaint 05:02 PM 09-08-2015
Find a beekeeper to come get them!

Please please please don't kill them or harm them in any way. Our bee population is dwindling and they are EXTREMELY important for our ecosystem

I have a garden made to attract bees. I prefer bumblebees as they're incredibly sweet and almost never sting even when they feel threatened.
Unregistered 07:28 AM 09-09-2015
I went through this a few months back. Don't assume there's a few, what we did. Outside light and they were far up into the home but not inside. Turned out it was a good size hive and they were mixed with African. The bee guy took them and we sealed it up. It's a liability so I wouldn't leave them that's for sure.
Tags:bugs, bumblebees, pests
Reply Up