Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not a Naughty Kid, Just Not a Good Fit for My Program
WImom 10:06 AM 08-09-2011
Anyone have this before? I have a child that is just not getting our routine (been here since beginning of May) and I'm constantly redirectng him which making it hard to do anything but have playtime. He is two. School here is starting again in september (we took a break for the summer) and I don't know how that is going to work smoothly. He doesnn't participate in anything and doesn't follow any directions given. He just wanders arounnd lost all the time so I have to redirect.

I'm thinking he just isn't right for a preschool setting (now he is very ahead on colors, shapes, letters, etc) so I don't know how to word it to parents. His parents are also friends with another child here (didn't know until they enrolled and saw the other child on the first day)

How do I make this decision and how to go about telling the parents. He's also only here two days a week and mom doesn't seem interested in adding more days since I've mentioned that in the past.
MommyMuffin 10:17 AM 08-09-2011
Are the parent's aware of the issues he is having?
countrymom 10:28 AM 08-09-2011
I have one like this and he's been with me for 4 yrs. I don't know how to fix the problem, but he has issues and I think this is the reason why he doesn't get my programs
Blackcat31 10:34 AM 08-09-2011
Sounds completely appropriate for a two year old. If it were me, I would either continue along with my curriculum as normal and just make sure to always make a point of inviting him to join (he will when he is ready) and if he chooses not to, just carry on as normal without him.

Or, if I wasn't willing to do that, I would simply tell the parents that your program is very structured and since their child isn't ready for that level of structure yet, your program can't meet his needs and they should look elsewhere for a program geared more towards their child's level of development.

If you say YOU can't meet the child's needs it sounds better than saying their child isn't doing so well....kwim?
WImom 10:36 AM 08-09-2011
he also doesn't talk at all here. At home he talks and will talk here to his mom. But won't even say bye to me or the other kids when parents ask him to.

I would think by now he would know some of our routine.

Yes, his parents are aware of all of it.

good advice blackcat. thanks
MG&Lsmom 11:03 AM 08-09-2011
I also think a lot of it is age appropriate. Some 2s just aren't ready for the structure. When does he turn 3? If he's more like 2.9, I would worry. If it's more like 2.3, then I would do as Blackcat suggests.

I have a 2.9 who is very, very ahead on academics, but so very far behind on social and physical. Wouldn't know what to do on a playground if I didn't show him how to play. Given my experience with autism and knowing some things I probably shouldn't about DCM and her lifestyle while pg, I worry about this kid.
wdmmom 11:08 AM 08-09-2011
Could you possibly use the excuse that you aren't able to provide care for part timers anymore and give the DCM the option to go full-time or go elsewhere? Maybe with full-time, he'll get more adjusted to the routine and what is expected of him.
Tags:bad fit, termination - bad fit
Reply Up