Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Washington State Newish Regulations
Rocksanne327 01:13 PM 03-16-2018
More of a complaint about the newish safe sleep regulations. I have a very small in home daycare. 3 daycare kids and my own 5 month old daughter.

I was recently audited and was told I can't have my daughter sleep in a different room because I am not actively supervising her. All the other children sleep in the same room where I am watching them. Now I have her pack n play with the other kids and get no break because my daughter and a 13 month old daycare boy take turns waking each other up and crying. I almost want to go unlicensed because of this. I know what is best for my daughter and this is not it. It makes for a long day of me carrying around sleep deprived baby and pre toddler while the older kids aren't able to do the routine we would normally have.

What do providers do if they are open at night? Do you stay awake so you can stare at sleeping kids? I don't watch my daughter sleep at night..TGIF
Country Kids 02:37 PM 03-16-2018
I'm the state below you and for registered family childcare, we have to be within sight/or sound. So if I were to have a child in another room (including my own) if I can't see them I better be able to here them.

Now if we are open at night, we may sleep but have to be awake during each parent drop off and pick up. With it being night time the sight/sound rule wouldn't be included in this.
Play Care 07:03 AM 03-19-2018
Originally Posted by Rocksanne327:
More of a complaint about the newish safe sleep regulations. I have a very small in home daycare. 3 daycare kids and my own 5 month old daughter.

I was recently audited and was told I can't have my daughter sleep in a different room because I am not actively supervising her. All the other children sleep in the same room where I am watching them. Now I have her pack n play with the other kids and get no break because my daughter and a 13 month old daycare boy take turns waking each other up and crying. I almost want to go unlicensed because of this. I know what is best for my daughter and this is not it. It makes for a long day of me carrying around sleep deprived baby and pre toddler while the older kids aren't able to do the routine we would normally have.

What do providers do if they are open at night? Do you stay awake so you can stare at sleeping kids? I don't watch my daughter sleep at night..TGIF
When my kids were day care aged, I had approval to nap the children upstairs. My kids were in their own rooms, and I had my guest bedroom set up for day care napping. Several years ago they changed the rules and I could no longer nap kids upstairs, including my own. Since my kids were in school and no longer dc age I didn't mind, but I would have turned in my license had they not been.

I will say it stinks, because often the infants and young toddlers do not get the rest they need because of this. The State tried to say it was a safety issue, but I think it had more to do with Centers bitching because they had to nap the kids in one room and have an adult in with them at all times. I heard on more than one occasion center employees complaining it wasn't fair that in homes could nap kids in other rooms
I DO think safe sleep is vitally important (babies on their back in an approved crib/PNP, no blankets, stuffies, etc. ) But yeah, IME very few babies are getting quality sleep in the middle of the playroom while the other kids are going about their day.
MissAnn 10:53 AM 03-19-2018
I have 3 kids who sleep in a separate room. I have cameras in there and I keep the door open.
Mom2Two 01:49 PM 03-20-2018
If the children are old enough to be able to protect their own airways, I don't understand why this is regulated in this way. How is this regulation relevant over six months of age?
Tags:washington regulations
Reply Up