Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Medical condition ever keep you from watching certain ages?
SunflowerMama 08:53 AM 08-16-2011
So I may have to make a tough decision soon.

Since opening I stuck with mostly preschool age but in the last month or so brought on an infant and a young toddler. I'm scheduled to bring on a 3 month old sibling of a dck in October.

Since my girls were 3 months old (they are now 4) I have had terrible flare ups of Dequarvain tendonitis which is inflammation at the base of the thumb/wrist that makes lifting or carrying the littles ones excruciating. I have received 4 different rounds of cortisone shots.

So since starting the infant a month ago it's back and worse than it has been. I got a 5th injection yesterday. The doctor said with what I do it will never have time to heal and will just continue to be inflammed and he doesn't even know if surgery would permanently improve it.

I am considering going back to preschool age only and informing my pregnant families and the one that just gave birth that I just can't watch the infants.

Have any of you ever been restricted to certain ages for medical reasons? I'm just afraid how my dcps may react.
Cat Herder 09:08 AM 08-16-2011
I don't take kids over 4 because a terrible case of Tiredofthestressitis....

I don't take SA'S for fear of catching Craniorectoinversion Syndrome.

I think they should understand that limiting your services to that you really love to do benefits them AND their children. Medical conditions aside.

I know I remember a provider who did not want me there...anyone else remember what that felt like...
Zoe 09:25 AM 08-16-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I don't take kids over 4 because a terrible case of Tiredofthestressitis....

I don't take SA'S for fear of catching Craniorectoinversion Syndrome.

I think they should understand that limiting your services to that you really love to do benefits them AND their children. Medical conditions aside.

I know I remember a provider who did not want me there...anyone else remember what that felt like...
You're so awesome catherder!

To the OP, it may be an inconvenience to take 2 children to 2 different daycares, but I would hope that your daycare parents would rather do that then have a provider who cannot properly care for their infants due to medical reasons. Just be honest with them!
cheerfuldom 09:51 AM 08-16-2011
You have to do whats best for your health. The parents are not going to like that at all so don't even worry about trying to find a way to tell them where they will like it. Just do what you have to do and have confidence in knowing that you did the right thing for these kids, whether their parents realize that or not.
mom2many 10:18 AM 08-16-2011
I had to stop watching infants for awhile, when I had a problem with tendinitis in my wrist. I gave the 2 families a month to find new daycare and they were both able to do so. They were disappointed, but understanding of my situation.

After taking a break from watching infants for about 5 years, I started to watch them again several years ago and I have had no problems with it recurring.

You have to do what is best for your health and take care of yourself!
MG&Lsmom 11:05 AM 08-16-2011
That is so hard. I think I have a similar condition, however, I also have a broken bone in the same place that never quite healed correctly. I have to wear a brace most days to make it through without crying from the pain. I have no real advice, but wanted to let you know I feel your pain, literally!
Reply Up